PDA

View Full Version : 22 in BB family pot 10 players, how play?

DavidC
02-08-2005, 12:43 AM
PF:

You're in the BB with 22.

It's called around to you: 10 players.

Do you raise for value? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

The argument against it is that if you re-open the betting you could have the pot 3-bet or capped and may lose opponents.

However, with 7.5:1 to hit your set and 9 players in there, it has potential to be pretty sweet...

--Dave.

Shillx
02-08-2005, 12:46 AM
No don't raise. You don't always win with a set to begin with. You are also out of position so you can't get a look at a 4th card.

Brad

Catt
02-08-2005, 12:49 AM
I don't. I'm out of position, and with 10 seeing the flop (I'm going to assume no one folds after putting a bet in), even flopping a set will be subject to all sorts of redraws. Just check, see the flop, and play it from there.

EDIT: Cross-posted with Brad - he said it more succinctly than I.

Mister Z
02-08-2005, 12:53 AM
Maybe from the button if you're feeling saucy.

DavidC
02-08-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No don't raise. You don't always win with a set to begin with.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true.

However, even if it's not going to win, you're likely going to be able to make some very +EV decisions on the flop when you hit, meaning that though your equity's not quite as high as 7.5:1 in this case, I believe that your EV would still be positive if the pot were played 10-ways, capped or not capped.

With the AJo hand, I figured that the EV was not as good as the equity would lead you to believe.

With this hand, your EV may be greater than your equity would lead you to believe.

However, your other point is great!

[ QUOTE ]
You are also out of position so you can't get a look at a 4th card.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a raised pot it will be 20 SB: enough to justify chasing a set on the turn. However, you want to be in LP to be able to do that, because if the SB bets into you, you still have to fold due to the threat of a raise.

Very very good point.

I hadn't considered it.

Thanks.

--Dave.

Due to bad position that and the possibility of it becoming less multiway in a capped pf, I'd say that this is a checking hand pf.

DavidC
02-08-2005, 04:23 PM
I'm always feeling saucy. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rico Suave
02-08-2005, 06:28 PM
David:

I would raise.

--Rico