PDA

View Full Version : On the bubble

Costanza
02-07-2005, 11:36 PM
A $5+0.50 SnG: bubble play had seemed pretty tight. IN the course of the tournament SB had managed to hit 2 pair after overplaying Ax twice. UTG was still in largely because he cracked my KK with AK on a ragged flop midway through the tournament. I hadn't seen any out of line play from BB.

The last time I had the button I pushed with 99 and didn't have to show my hand. 2 times before that I pushed with QQ after 2 limpers and, again, didn't have to show.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB (t6987)
UTG (t652)
Hero (t2055)
SB (t3806)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t600</font>, SB calls t500, BB calls t400.

Flop: (t1800) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero...

J-Lo
02-08-2005, 12:16 AM
check fold on flop

Better line preflop

either make a smaller PFR or fold or push

The smaller raise would be to about 425 if u get raise fold, and then if someone calls bet same amount on flop and if u get called/raised fold, because u still have 5x BB

In the case now, i liek check fold or just push.... leaning towards checkfold

ChrisV
02-08-2005, 01:12 AM
I'd fold preflop. The problem with raising small is that a decent BB will push with a huge range of hands and you can't call. Even if he just calls, you're going to feel distinctly uncomfortable when he checks to you the 70% of the time that you don't flop a pair. The risk/reward isn't good enough for pushing preflop, so that leaves fold.

On the flop, this is that distinctly uncomfortable feeling I was talking about. Versus two players doing anything but checking is out of the question.

Scuba Chuck
02-08-2005, 01:21 AM
I agree 100% with ChrisV's answer.

It is important to recognize that a better decision making model needs to be implemented preflop. I think your preflop decision needs to be push or fold. You have the best position on the board here. But you have the wrong stacksize.

Blinds are just too small to attempt a steal here. Fold preflop. In this position, I would only push with AK, AA, KK, QQ, &amp; JJ. Essentially my Allin call hands.

You're doing the Jamaican celebration dance right now, you're very likely in the money. Don't spoil the party with a bad decision.

ericlambi
02-08-2005, 11:49 AM
You can't fold AJ 4-handed in position pre-flop. His pre-flop line is fine. When he gets two callers he needs to check/fold without hitting.

Scuba Chuck
02-08-2005, 12:42 PM
You can't fold AJ 4-handed in position pre-flop. His pre-flop line is fine

Are you suggesting then, that his initial bet out was not a mistake? If it's not a mistake, then why is he check folding from here on out. Or rather, why is he employing a strategy to readily give up the 500 chips?

trojanrabbit
02-08-2005, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You can't fold AJ 4-handed in position pre-flop. His pre-flop line is fine

Are you suggesting then, that his initial bet out was not a mistake? If it's not a mistake, then why is he check folding from here on out. Or rather, why is he employing a strategy to readily give up the 500 chips?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because when you make the initial raise you are facing 2 random hands. Once you get 2 callers, the situation has changed quite a bit! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

ericlambi
02-08-2005, 01:30 PM
His initial bet was perfect. He is check folding because he got called by TWO players AND he didn't hit. The only way you could assume this is giving away 500 chips is if you knew the other players would call and you knew you wouldn't hit your hand.

hovemag
02-08-2005, 02:16 PM
I push this every time.In fact I push with a lot less than this.
You already know BB isnt defending much. SB has got the big stack after him so he is only calling with AA or KK because he doesnt want to be busted.
Even if you get called youre going to have a fair chance of doubling through.
If you try and limp into 3rd chances are everyone folds when shorty is big blind and he pushes into you next hand.

Mind you I do get a lot of 4th place finishes and not many 3rds

RobGW
02-08-2005, 03:43 PM
He said bubble play has been tight and the BB has not gotten out of line. You still want to fold here? This is the perfect time to accumulate some chips by stealing some blinds. With the shortstack about to bust, usually people tighten up quite a bit. Take advantage of it. I don't like the risk reward ratio for pushing preflop and its too risky to play the flop here. Take the free card.

bball904
02-08-2005, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd fold preflop. The problem with raising small is that a decent BB will push with a huge range of hands and you can't call. Even if he just calls, you're going to feel distinctly uncomfortable when he checks to you the 70% of the time that you don't flop a pair. The risk/reward isn't good enough for pushing preflop, so that leaves fold.

On the flop, this is that distinctly uncomfortable feeling I was talking about. Versus two players doing anything but checking is out of the question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding pre-flop is horrible here. This is a 5.50 at Stars, there are not many BB's that will come over the top with any 2 as you're suggesting. You do have to be willing to give up the hand and must check this flop, but a 2.5-3x raise is the right play for this hand given the circumstances.

ChrisV
02-08-2005, 08:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
With the shortstack about to bust, usually people tighten up quite a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not when they have 7000 chips (35 big blinds). Plus (more generally), just because people tighten up doesn't mean you get to take advantage of it. They're tightening up for a good reason and so should you.

There are a few ways this hand can play out.

(1) You can get reraised. In this case you'll have to fold. With an aggressive BB this will happen to you 100% of the time. With a less aggressive BB it will still be a lot.
(2) You can get called and flop no pairs. This happens 70% of the time you are called. There will be 1300 in the pot and your stack is 1450. Any bet will commit you and you therefore will be forced to check down the hand, or fold if he bets.
(3) You can get called and flop a pair. If this happens you will probably take it down and increase your stack to 2750. There are quite a few flops (say J /images/graemlins/heart.gifT /images/graemlins/heart.gif6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif or J /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif) where I wouldn't feel that great about having my stack invested.
(4) They can fold. You now have 2350. SB and BB still have much larger stacks than you. The short stack has not changed.

I'm not seeing where the plus is here.