PDA

View Full Version : Live KK hand in 10-25NL

PokerForMath
02-07-2005, 10:33 PM
I was playing live 10-25NL when the following hand came up six handed. I had KK in the big blind. The UTG player raised to $75 and the button called. Theere was a lot of raising pre-flop and this raise said to me a big pair or two big cards.

The small blind folded and I raised it to $200. UTG called and the button folds. The flop came

A 8 4 rainbow.

I bet out $200. He calls. I check on the turn. He bets $400. I fold.

I hate the way I played this hand, but am not sure what to do. In the end I felt the check on the turn was really weak and hated it, but there was also a good chance he called me with a weak ace and was prepared to fold if I came out strong on the turn.

Any thoughts on how to play KK out of position against a tough opponent?

tbach24
02-07-2005, 10:35 PM
I hate good players. I would try and c/r this flop. I'm not sure how great that move is though.

lapoker17
02-07-2005, 10:36 PM
Bet the turn strong.

PokerForMath
02-07-2005, 10:47 PM
What is your logic in doing that? Do you think most of the time he doesn't have the ace when he calls?

lapoker17
02-07-2005, 10:52 PM
The better he is, the less inclined I am to believe he has an Ace. Ny thoughts were perhaps biased by your remark that the table was full of world class players, or whatever.

If that's the case, then he definitely puts you on KK after the PF reraise, and he knows you hate the Ace when you check the turn. If he's a bad player I check/fold. If he's a good player, I lead the turn strong. You may also be able to get him off a hand like AJ if you don't slow down.

jwiles
02-07-2005, 10:52 PM
the player whom called the $200 reraise on the flop could easily have AK, what about a checkraise on the flop?

PokerForMath
02-07-2005, 10:57 PM
Interesting. What about a check raise pre flop? What next if he calls? What do I do on the turn?

PokerForMath
02-07-2005, 11:02 PM
This is good advice. Seems to me that with $875 in the pot I am looking at making it $600 to go on the turn, but then I probably get him off anything less than AK! Agree?

WorldBeater
02-07-2005, 11:35 PM
I played a hand almost identical to this one 2 weeks ago in Tunica. The game was 25/50 PL holdem. There was a raise in EP, and when it got to me I reraised from the Big Blind. There was around 1,200 in the pot before the flop. The preflop raiser had been raising pretty often preflop. I felt he could have a wide range of hands, including any PP. He seemed to be a good overall player from what I could tell. We both had about 5k in chips.
So it's heads up and I have KK vs. my opponent. The flop came A, 8, 6 rainbow. I bet half the pot on the flop, around 600. He called. The turn was another small card. I thought for a minute on the turn. I decided to bet another 600 (only 1/4 of the pot at the time). The opponent folded (and said something like "what's he got 3 aces")?

That's how I played it. I made a follow up bet. I felt that the player I was involved with was tricky enough to try to steal the pot from me if I showed weakness, and I also knew that he might actually have the ace. I underbet the pot the 2nd time to try to make it look like I was milking AA.

PokerForMath
02-07-2005, 11:58 PM
The Tunica hand is interesting and very informative. It comes to how often he will call based on his hand. I agree he might feel you would only bet with an Ace so betting without an Ace there is a strong place. What do you do if he smooth calls you?

WorldBeater
02-08-2005, 12:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The Tunica hand is interesting and very informative. It comes to how often he will call based on his hand. I agree he might feel you would only bet with an Ace so betting without an Ace there is a strong place. What do you do if he smooth calls you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have most likely checked the river, and folded if he bet. I wasn't that happy with the situation or the way I played the hand, although I was very happy to see him fold his hand after my turn bet. It was a tough spot to be in, and I'm looking forward to reading how other's suggested that you play your hand in the situation that you described.

freemoney
02-08-2005, 02:36 AM
i raise pre more b/c i dont want to be playing against a good player out of position here, make him pay more to see the flop or just smooth call pre.

WorldBeater
02-08-2005, 03:55 AM
Good point that was a small reraise (125 more). A pot sized raise would have been to about 300. I would have probably made the raise to 300-400 total preflop on this hand. 125 was too small IMO.

AdamsPappa
02-08-2005, 09:04 AM
Your pre-flop bet is to small, 300 to go is more appropriate. On the flop you need to make it a pot sized bet. Your sending a weak message and I wouldn’t be surprised if your opponent held something like JJ, TT, AQ. Only a fool would call a pot sized bet (685$) with any of those holdings.

Leaky Eye
02-08-2005, 09:14 AM
My question has nothing to do with this hand. Having never seen a 10-25 NL live, I wonder what chips are in play?

turnipmonster
02-08-2005, 11:45 AM
reds, greens and up usually play.

exeph
02-08-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate good players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Good players suck.

Usagi_yo
02-08-2005, 12:29 PM
My general philosophy is to raise bigger, bet bigger so that I feel better when I fold. Played as you played, I can think back and figure that my raise to 200 isn't going to make AK fold so therefore, my KK is probably no good with A on the board.