PDA

View Full Version : AJs UTG - Standard Play Check

Redd
02-07-2005, 08:16 PM
Pacific $0.05/$0.10 (10 Handed)

MP2 posts.
Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/heart.gifJ/images/graemlins/heart.gif. <font color="red">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="red">BB 3-bets</font>, SB folds, Hero calls, all call.

Turn comes 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif7/images/graemlins/club.gif2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. (4 Players, 12SB). <font color="red">BB bets</font>, Hero...

No reads. What should Hero do here? Plus, was the UTG pf raise too aggressive?

Redd

Shillx
02-07-2005, 08:19 PM
Eh call. The pair on board helps your cause here, but you are still drawing and drawing fairly thin at that.

Brad

EDIT: Call only if you know what to do with the hand. Let's say you call and the other 2 fold. An ace comes on the turn and the BB bets. What is your move?

milesdyson
02-07-2005, 08:20 PM
Preflop raise is 100% good.

Flop is ugly. A typical BB three bet is AK, AA-JJ. I'm not going to go through which of these you're ahead of or whatever, but on average I give you 2.5 Ace outs and 1.5 for the BD flush, which warrants a sweet flop call.

Redd
02-07-2005, 08:26 PM
In this hand, I also called and folded the turn with everyone else when the 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif hit. I'm actually pretty surprised to hear a call was correct because in retrospect I was thinking it was a raise-or-fold situation. Should we not raise in this case because the board is so drawless?

Redd

milesdyson
02-07-2005, 08:28 PM
Don't raise because

1. You need to improve to win and when your hand improves on this board you improve over everyone. Unless, obviously, someone has a 2. In which case, you're getting three bet.

2. You will get three bet.

Shillx
02-07-2005, 08:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In this hand, I also called and folded the turn with everyone else when the 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is real bad imo. You should have folded the flop.

Redd
02-07-2005, 08:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Let's say you call and the other 2 fold. An ace comes on the turn and the BB bets. What is your move?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh oh, a quiz. At this point, I'm ahead of KK,QQ,JJ, but behind AK or AA. I'm not entirely confident in the answer (actually, it seems like the sort of hand I'd post here), but I'd probably think I'm way ahead or way behind, call the turn, call the river or bet if checked to. Is that even close?

Redd

Redd
02-07-2005, 08:38 PM
I suppose I should have folded the flop, since I still can't really figure out how the 7 improved me? I suppose I'm splitting with AK UI now, but I'll still be behind a better ace if it hits (or still ahead of a lower pp). Seems like if I'll be in the same situation on the river but I've lost my flush possibilities. What am I missing here?

Shillx
02-07-2005, 08:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I suppose I should have folded the flop, since I still can't really figure out how the 7 improved me? I suppose I'm splitting with AK UI now, but I'll still be behind a better ace if it hits (or still ahead of a lower pp). Seems like if I'll be in the same situation on the river but I've lost my flush possibilities. What am I missing here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh well you are almost certainly chopping with a better ace. You can still outdraw KK and QQ. The pot is such that his 12 AK combos and (maybe AQ) combos provide you enough equity to call down profitabally in a pot this size.

Brad

Redd
02-07-2005, 08:48 PM
Thanks for your help. I obviously have alot to learn. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Redd

Shillx
02-07-2005, 08:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Let's say you call and the other 2 fold. An ace comes on the turn and the BB bets. What is your move?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh oh, a quiz. At this point, I'm ahead of KK,QQ,JJ, but behind AK or AA. I'm not entirely confident in the answer (actually, it seems like the sort of hand I'd post here), but I'd probably think I'm way ahead or way behind, call the turn, call the river or bet if checked to. Is that even close?

Redd

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah it's close. The money play is certainly to just call the turn (really the most important part of the question). I like a river raise (bet if checked to of course) and a fold to a 3-bet. Calling on the river can't be much worse though. The reason why I raise is because a 3-bet will almost always be AA. He will usually just call with AK and will also call the raise with QQ and KK.

Brad