PDA

View Full Version : I Hate Stupid People On Amazon.com (SSHE Discussion)

IggyWH
02-07-2005, 08:16 PM
I recently took the advice of many and bought myself a copy of SSHE and things have been going great since. My sample size right now is small, but I can just see the great turn-around in my game.

Some of the reviews I read of these morons anger me. The first rocket scientist that pissed me off is from Pittsburgh so if anyone wants, I can take him out /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Here's some quotes from his review :

"I have two major problems with the book. First, the authors basically assume that low-limit Hold'em games are played by complete and utter morons. People who have absolutely no concept of solid play, pot odds, outs, etc. Because of this, the authors also assume that every low-limit Hold'em game is extremely loose, with players who raise preflop with T8 and are called by 6 people on every hand. I hate to be the one to tell the authors this, but most people who play poker would like to make money."

This genius fails to understand one major key of this book that is detailed in the "Using This Book" section. The book never says all holdem players are morons, it says this book is assuming many of your oppenents play poorly. I believe in general most people do play poor, but you have to be able to recognize when they're a poor player and when they're not.

Next quote from the boy genius :

"Second, the authors assume you have a limitless bankroll. They suggest (I swear I'm not making this up) that you continue to call even if you suspect you're drawing dead if the pot is large. Right. Like I have money to just throw away when I know I'm beat and can't improve. They propose that calling only costs you 1 or 2 bets, while folding could cost you the whole pot. I'll give you a minute to stop laughing. I don't know about you, but I don't have the kind of money where I can just continue to bet and bet because my hand has a positive expected value of $.03 in the long run. There is no long run if I blow $50 on a hand drawing dead."

While he laughed when he read what Ed wrote, I laughed at what this guy wrote. The calling when you believe you're beat isn't that radical of an idea. In a big pot for you to call a bet to see the results of the hand makes since. You're not expecting to win the hand 50% of the time, but if the pot's $100 and you got to call $8, that would mean you would only have to win 1/12 for it to be a profitable call. We all have those showdowns won where you think you might be beat but your oppenent shows you cards and you say to yourself "WTF were they thinking?"

There's a lot of other morons giving reviews on there too but I'm sick of typing /images/graemlins/smile.gif

TomBrooks
02-07-2005, 08:20 PM
Don't be hatin'.

steamboatin
02-07-2005, 08:22 PM
People like this help to keep poker profitable. I congratulate the fish on making good folds when the pot is big. I like it at B&M when they don't understand how I could possibly call with that hand when I turn over a weak hand that drags the pot.

miajag81
02-07-2005, 09:26 PM
I think that is the #1 flaw in most Hold'em players' games. It certainly was mine when I first started out. I was recently giving my girlfriend's dad a brief lesson in preparation for a Vegas trip he's planning and he was completely baffled by this concept.

steamboatin
02-07-2005, 09:55 PM
I hated Ed Miller when I first read that, I thought He was crazy, but He was crazy like a fox.

shadow29
02-07-2005, 10:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He was crazy like a fox.

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason this made me laugh very hard.

Nottom
02-07-2005, 10:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I think that is the #1 flaw in most Hold'em players' games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am about 99.999% sure that the #1 flaw in holdem is not that people fold too much.

IggyWH
02-07-2005, 11:06 PM
Love the avatar, but who's telling the truth?

http://www.internettexasholdem.com/poker-tips/poker-articles/ap-newswire-may-24%2c-2025%3a-joshua-hilger-takes-home-the-2025-wsop/

colgin
02-07-2005, 11:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am about 99.999% sure that the #1 flaw in holdem is not that people fold too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

What happened to the other 0.001%. I assume this otherwise unwarranted hedge is for epistemological reasons only.

EliteNinja
02-08-2005, 02:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This book will only teach you to spew chips. I have been a winning poker player and i can tell you that there are better books on the market for low limit hold em. "Winning low limit" is a good book by lee jones. This book teaches how to raise without having a pair or a draw. If thats how you like to play poker you will like this book. Save your money and practice online and buy a better book. It is also poorly written

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta love these guys who keep 'potentials' away from the book. Gotta keep the fish fishy by deterring them from the true ultimate knowledge of the Miller.

helpmeout
02-08-2005, 05:51 AM
Do we really need to hear some fanboi defending SSHE.

Sure its a good book but people are entitled to their opinions, this trashy thread just adds to the ever increasing spam on these boards.

pfkaok
02-08-2005, 06:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm 100% sure that i've never played in a low-limit game where the majority of the players had this as their main flaw.

MicroBob
02-08-2005, 06:08 AM
There was a discussion on this exact same Amazon post a couple of months ago I think (maybe even longer ago than that...not sure).
don't know if it was here or general forum or SS or where but I remember it.

The general consensus I think was that many of us were in favor of this guy voicing his opinions on SSHE as much as possible.

yawak
02-08-2005, 08:36 AM
If people like to play weak tight, "I only bet when I have the nuts-poker", why not let them. I don't mind playing against them.

sfer
02-08-2005, 12:45 PM
There are better reviews on Amazon. Like this for Richard III:

[ QUOTE ]
THIS BOOK STUNK, WAS IT ACTUALLY WRITTEN IN ENGLISH?, February 5, 2000
Reviewer: Kewlman713 (U.S.A) - See all my reviews
This book is the worst book i have ever read in my life. It was only good for making me fall asleep. And we hade to resite the first 41 lines, Now is the winter of our discontent? Made glorious summer by this son of york? here's what And all the clouds that loured upon our house in the deep bosom of the ocean burried. Now are our brows bound with victorious wreaths? ( i used the book for this) Heres what i would say to Shakespear... Welcome to America Now speak english

[/ QUOTE ]

jedi
02-08-2005, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm 100% sure that i've never played in a low-limit game where the majority of the players had this as their main flaw.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the weekends, I seem to play against people who have this as their #2 problem. The #1 problem is not folding enough pre-flop. The #2 problem is folding too much on the river. I love this game!

Chairman Wood
02-08-2005, 05:28 PM
Best book review ever!

Don Olney
02-08-2005, 06:31 PM
Every body has an opinion on this book -- some I agree with some I do not--- I have not read this book from cover to cover --I have read bits and pieces while having my coffee at the local book store -----
I think 99% of the 15/30 crowed should read this book and take WHAT YOU FEEL GOOD about and give it a try --- IT will be good foryour game----
The one part I see this poster getting in a tight tizzz over
CALL WHEN YOU KNOW YOUR--- IF THE POT IS BIG ---hummmmm

Voltron87
02-08-2005, 09:26 PM
Why are you getting angry about some player who doesn't understand poker? I kind of like stupid people who play poker, and I don't treat them with that much contempt.

Kenrick
02-09-2005, 06:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Here's some quotes from his review :

"I have two major problems with the book. First, the authors basically assume that low-limit Hold'em games are played by complete and utter morons.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what is wrong with this part of the review. Read HEFAP and SSHE and tell me they both don't offer different advice in various instances, usually based on who your opponents are. Otherwise, they can't both be right. Often the mid or high-limit B&M hands posted here shock me with terrible play I wouldn't expect to see at 1/2 tables online. You could even compare something like The Gaming Club 3/6 during the day to Party 15/30 in the evening.

SSHE, while being adaptable to all limits and players, does seem to promote the idea that all of your opponents are morons who raise T8o UTG or who always play A2o from any position and call multiple raises to the river. In low-limit B&M, this might be true. Anywhere else, I don't see it unless it's a good day.

Rudbaeck
02-12-2005, 10:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
SSHE, while being adaptable to all limits and players, does seem to promote the idea that all of your opponents are morons who raise T8o UTG or who always play A2o from any position and call multiple raises to the river. In low-limit B&M, this might be true. Anywhere else, I don't see it unless it's a good day.

[/ QUOTE ]

People on my buddy list for Party 3/6 consider A2o to be a hand to call 3 bets cold with. Many of them do it with worse hands. Your table selection isn't up to par. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

yeltzen
02-13-2005, 12:42 AM
Well, gee, I live in Pittsbrugh.
And, gee, that looks like my name!

So if you'd like to take me out, you're welcome to try. Over a poker book. Ha.

yeltzen
02-13-2005, 12:49 AM
Of course.
Logic tells us that ANYONE WHO DOESN'T AGREE WITH SSH must play weak-tight.

Rudbaeck
02-14-2005, 11:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Of course.
Logic tells us that ANYONE WHO DOESN'T AGREE WITH SSH must play weak-tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, but reading the quotes OP provided tells us that whoever posted that review plays weak-tight. He knows not folding has a higher expected value, yet still folds!

jojobinks
02-14-2005, 11:29 AM
yeltzin, you love to talk about all the fanboi's and how any disagreement with 2+2 is blasphemy. it seems like you existence on these forums is to make these comments. let's look at the facts though. miller doesn't say call if you're sure you're beaten. he says call when it's ev positive. when you're getting 10-1, you're probably ev positive. you say that's not so.

please defend yourself. feel free to use tools at your disposal besides sarcasm. these include, but are not limited to, logic and mathematics.

yeltzen
02-14-2005, 05:51 PM
Don't take my defense mechanisms away from me!