PDA

View Full Version : lets talk poker; a typical online-hand

07-27-2002, 10:04 AM
I wasn't involved in this hand but i have a question. Who made the most costly error here.

ringgame----10players

UTG raise , next player calls. There was one poster who also calls. Button calls. Both blinds fold. Flop comes 664 rainbow. UTG bet out. Next player calls poster folds. Button raise. UTG and other player called. Turn 2 . Check, check , bet call , call. River J

All check! UTG TT Player 2 AJ button 88

Who made the worst play here ??

07-27-2002, 11:11 AM
"Who made the worst play here ?? "

UTG.

Not only was he check-calling with the best hand (what flop was he looking for if he didn't like 664?), but his passive play allowed the AJ to hang around and river a winner.

07-27-2002, 02:31 PM
The player with TT played it too passively. I would almost always three-bet the flop.

The player with AJ played it poorly as well. First his cold call sucked pre-flop. Muck that trash.

His flop call is pretty crappy too. He was getting 10:1 to hit an Ace or a Jack. However, often he is playing 3 outs or less vs. JJ,QQ,KK,AA,AK,AQ, and his hand is usually in big trouble here. Also, it could get raised behind him, which it did, cutting his effective odds to 6:1, not really enough to call with six iffy outs. Note that if the TT three-bets, AJ makes a big mistake by calling, and probably folds, winning the hand for TT.

AJ's turn call was OK/poor closing the action at 9:1. Note that the way the hand has played it appears AK or AQ are very likely for UTG. AJ is much better off against TT than AK here.

AJ's river check was weak after the way it so optimistically called all that way. It is the best possible river card for AJ based on how the hand has played(it now beats buttons likely 4 or medium overpair and UTGs likely AK).

The player with 88 played it fine, and his river check is close but probably ok.