PDA

View Full Version : Waiter/Waitress

esknights
02-07-2005, 07:22 PM
What % of waiters and waitresses do you guys think report their cash tips when taxes come around? If I had to guess I would say no more than 10% and I think that is being generous. I have friends that have waitressed for years and haven't reported a single dime in cash tips.

I already know the argument for poker, but what about here? For all those that say everything must be reported, what do you think about tips?

Alobar
02-07-2005, 07:24 PM
I NEVER reported tips as a delivery driver. And I only reported enough of my tips to bring me up to minimum wage when I was a waiter.

scotnt73
02-07-2005, 09:06 PM
i was always told to claim 8% and id be fine. i did that for 6 years. i havent been a waiter in 6 years and no problems came from it. i was told you could get in trouble claiming none but i dont know of anyone personally who did.

BusterStacks
02-07-2005, 09:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I NEVER reported tips as a delivery driver.

[/ QUOTE ]

Boris
02-07-2005, 09:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have friends that have waitressed for years and haven't reported a single dime in cash tips.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe you.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-07-2005, 09:26 PM
I've never worked for tips, but I thought they assume some standard rate and tax you on that if you don't say otherwise?

esknights
02-07-2005, 10:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I have friends that have waitressed for years and haven't reported a single dime in cash tips.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I don't believe you.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok

jasonHoldEm
02-07-2005, 10:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe so, but generally if you don't report enough you'll get allocated tips which can screw you over. I worked at a semi-upscale place in college and usually claimed about half of what I made (a lot of mine were CC tips though so I really didn't have much choice).

J

Zoltri
02-07-2005, 10:23 PM
It all depends on the type of place you work at.

In other words, a bar deals with cash mostly so waiters/waitresses show little or no tips as income. On the other hand, servers that work in fine restaurants will likely show more because most people pay by credit card. The tip is on the slip which is a paper trail so if a restaurant ever gets audited, many times they will look at the servers as well.

The Dude
02-07-2005, 10:28 PM
While I was in highschool, I waited tables at several different restaurants. While I didn't put forth enough effort to make sure I got 100% of the tips I earned reported, I did in fact report them as best I could.

I worked with probably 200 or so other servers, and I know for a fact that I am the only one of those 200 who made any effort at all to report them. And at least 150 of them went to the effort of reporting as little as possible.

I highly doubt the number of servers that accurately report their tips is even as high as 1%.

pshreck
02-07-2005, 10:51 PM
10% is way low. All I know of really personally is my sister has a waitress, and a close uncle who bartended. Both made more than half of their salary in tips, so not reporting them while working 30+ hours a weak is clearly wrong and stupid to try to get away with. Now if you work 10 hours a week and only make a few tips, it probable doesnt add up to much or matter.

I think that 75% of full time waiters and waitresses report tips, but part time to be much lower, maybe around 40%.

MHarris
02-07-2005, 11:49 PM
No way do 75% of servers report all of, or even most of, their tips. I was in the business for almost 8 years, and I claimed the minimum % the restaurant would allow. I don't know a single server I worked with in that time who did otherwise. The only time servers claim all or most of their tip income at the end of the night is when it's all on credit cards.

peachy
02-08-2005, 02:26 AM
When i waitressed i claimed around 10% (it just depended on what my total sales were...i was advised by our accountant to do around that or i could possible get into trouble later...some claim more or less...but i dont know any that claim thier exact amounts