PDA

View Full Version : Keane

VBM
02-07-2005, 06:49 PM
saw'em on SNL, and i dig the song! the lead singer looks like Frodo's gay lover, but i'm down with that piano-driven rock sound.

any album owners with any impressions?

sfer
02-07-2005, 06:52 PM
I think it's a solid Meh.

lapoker17
02-07-2005, 06:54 PM
Nothing remarkable, but very easy to listen to.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-07-2005, 07:00 PM
To be honest, from the little that I've heard of Keane, I don't understand how anybody has even bothered to buy or listen to the rest of the album. I must be missing something.

Rushmore
02-07-2005, 07:05 PM
I'm copying this from a response I posted to the SNL Sucks thread:

[ QUOTE ]
Also: Whoever "Keane" is seems to have listened to every song Paul McCartney ever wrote, and pasted them all together. I heard no less than five blatantly plagiarized hooks in the one song I watched them play. And oh yeah--nice belts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was drinking, so I can't tell you exactly which songs I mean, but believe me, they're there.

Tosh
02-07-2005, 07:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's a solid Meh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keane = British weather.

sfer
02-07-2005, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
To be honest, from the little that I've heard of Keane...

[/ QUOTE ]

You're learning. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

VBM
02-07-2005, 07:12 PM
hahahaha...funny avatar, and their belts were funny too. they should've been worn overtop of a pair of briefs worn over top of a pair of tights, superhero-style.

as for the song, i dunno. i didn't think about it or think about who they sounded like, i just liked the way it sounded. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

TimTimSalabim
02-07-2005, 07:25 PM
Hopes and Fears is my favorite CD of 2004.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-07-2005, 07:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
To be honest, from the little that I've heard of Keane...

[/ QUOTE ]

You're learning. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
What's that supposed to mean? Yes, of course I judge a band only on what plays on the radio and tv. Dead wrong. What I'm trying to say is the one or two songs I've heard from him/them suck ass and I don't know why anyone would bother to go listen to more after hearing these two songs. Also, the video for the first single is absolutely terrible. I'm all for going deeper into the album than the singles, but you've got to at least give me some indication that it'll be worth my time.

VBM
02-07-2005, 07:34 PM
fair enough...i don't expect everyone to like the same stuff. i thought you meant that you liked the 1 or 2 songs but heard the rest of the album was boring.

if the rest of the album is like the song they have out now, i think i'll probably like it; w/ the proviso that it, like all other songs, do nothing for my fever...for which the only prescription is; more cowbell...

sfer
02-07-2005, 07:36 PM
Getting a sense of what an album sounds like before buying it and writing things like this:

[ QUOTE ]
To all the assholes going on and on about how fanfuckingtastic Arcade Fire is, I've got two words for you:

[censored] YOU.

I just wasted an hour of my life listening to that crap. I could barely stand it any more by the time I was a couple songs in, but I forced my way through the whole thing. I can understand that in a very narrow niche and exact circumstance, this would be proper music, but for general listening, it absolutely blows.

[/ QUOTE ]

colgin
02-07-2005, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
saw'em on SNL, and i dig the song! the lead singer looks like Frodo's gay lover, but i'm down with that piano-driven rock sound.

any album owners with any impressions?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Future Mrs. Colgin and I like Keane a lot. Their current album "Hopes and Fears" is pretty solid in terms of songcraft and musicianship, although I will admit that towards the end it starts sounding a little repetitive. They get compare to Coldplay a lot which is not unfair; if you like CP you will probably like Keane. Still, I think the CD is well worth the purchase.

We also saw them last week at the Hammerstein Ballroom in NY and (aside from some truly stupid and egoistic audience banter) they gave a fairly rocking show for a three-piece band without a bass player or guitarist.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-07-2005, 07:44 PM
You need to get your panties untwisted over my comments about your beloved Arcade Fire. I heard a lot of people say they like Arcade Fire and they were people who I thought had good musical taste. I don't have access to any radio or tv stations where I can hear their music, so I went out on a limb and went for an album I heard many people say was good. I checked it out and hated it. The post you quote above was greatly exaggerated and purposely so for the sake of entertainment. Maybe it was silly of me to buy the album, but the few dollars I spent on it are not a big deal - I was in the store, I saw it while I was there, so I bought it instead of poring over crappy internet streams trying to figure out if I'll like the album from a few 30-second previews or downloading MP3s off Kazaa first as if I were thinking about buying a new Lexus. Then I came in here and simply said that I really don't like the couple Keane songs that I've heard. You need to relax a little bit and not hate me because I don't like your latest pet band.

To the OP, sorry for the thread going off-track. I'll not continue any further with it and let you get some feedback from people who have heard the rest of the album.

sfer
02-07-2005, 07:47 PM
I don't care what bands you like or don't. I'm just pointing out that listening to advances before you buy is probably good for your blood pressure.

TimTimSalabim
02-07-2005, 07:53 PM
I'm not sure which single you heard, if it's Somewhere Only We Know, that one is good, but there are way better songs than that on the CD. You won't be disappointed.

Rushmore
02-07-2005, 10:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hahahaha...funny avatar, and their belts were funny too. they should've been worn overtop of a pair of briefs worn over top of a pair of tights, superhero-style.

as for the song, i dunno. i didn't think about it or think about who they sounded like, i just liked the way it sounded.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a perfectly healthy, well-adjusted, and normal way to be.

Is there like, a manual or something? /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif