PDA

View Full Version : Best Sports Finals

istewart
02-07-2005, 05:09 PM
For hockey, basketball, baseball, and football, list each best championship game that you were alive for (NOTE: keep it to games you actually were old enough to "understand" -- i.e. don't say the 1975 World Series if you were born in 1974).

I only started watching the Stanley Cup playoffs regularly 5 years ago, so I won't do hockey.

Bulls vs. Suns, 1993
Yankees vs. Diamondbacks, 2001
Rams vs. Titans, 2000 (Pats/Rams is up there)

The Armchair
02-07-2005, 10:56 PM
Game 6 of the 1986 WS is #1 in my book, as it would have been a title game had the Mets lost. Although the NLCS -- especially games 5 and 6 -- were much better. If that does not qualify, as it was not a game 7, I am at a loss.

I, too, do not watch hockey. And pro basketball sucks. College basketball, the Fab Five phantom time out was a great game, with the accident just proving the human condition. The Duke/UNLV semifinal in... whatever year it was -- that was the best game I ever watched, though. And this coming from a UConn fan who still remembers the Tate George turnaround jumper after Scott Burrell went the length of the court with his throw.

Superbowl: A toss up between the Norwood/Giants SB and Titans/Rams. Titans/Rams was probably the better game, but I cannot remember the last time I was so interested in a game than the Bills/G'ntz, and there was no disappointment from this Armchair QB.

Jack of Arcades
02-07-2005, 10:57 PM
95 WS. I'm biased.

Schneids
02-07-2005, 11:12 PM
MLB -- 1991 Twins vs. Braves

I'm a biased Minnesotan.

mmbt0ne
02-07-2005, 11:13 PM
Do we have another ATLien in OOT?

1998 NCAA Final 4

holeplug
02-07-2005, 11:28 PM
1998 NBA Finals: Jordan's last 'real' game

1999 NCAA: Duke vs. UCONN....great game plus I made a shitload on UCONN that game

2001 WS: Yankees lost! plus a great series

Super Bowl 32: Elway's helicopter spin game

DontRaisePlz
02-07-2005, 11:28 PM
2003 Fiesta Bowl, Ohio St vs. Miami
2002 World Series, Angels vs. Giants (just to see SFers suffer)
1988 World Series, Dodgers vs. A's

Jack of Arcades
02-08-2005, 08:22 AM
Rigged.

Jack of Arcades
02-08-2005, 08:22 AM
Nah. Louisiana. Grandfather became a Braves fan because of TBS and it stuck.

sfer
02-08-2005, 10:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
2001 WS: Yankees lost! plus a great series

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that was the best World Series of my conscious lifetime.

Shajen
02-08-2005, 10:35 AM
91 Duke vs Kentucky Quarter finals game.

Laettner has a perfect game and nails the buzzer beater.

Pretty much anytime Duke and UNC get together is a special game.

tbach24
02-08-2005, 11:20 AM
Hockey-- 1994 Vancouver Canucks vs. New York Rangers (when people still cared about hockey, also the only one I actually remember)

Basketball-- 1998 Bulls vs. Jazz--Jordan was amazing

Football-- 2001 Patriots vs. Rams--Adam Vinatieri's game-winner at the end of regulation still goes through my head every day.

Baseball- 2004 ALCS- Red Sox vs. Yankees- /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif

BWebb
02-08-2005, 11:21 AM
I'm doing pure championship games, not playoff games.

NFL-49ers v. Bengals-Montana to Taylor.
MLB-Twins v. Braves-Morris goes 10.
NCAAB-Duke v. UNLV-Duke ends the hope for an undefeated season.
NCAAF-Miami v. Ohio St.-Stupid flag lets OSU win National Title.

ethan
02-08-2005, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Baseball- 2004 ALCS- Red Sox vs. Yankees- /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

mmbt0ne
02-08-2005, 01:20 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

MOTHER [censored] YOU AND YOUR GODDAMN MOTHER [censored] DUKE [censored] BITCHES!! LAETTNER A IS COCK SLOBBING [censored] [censored] WHO CAN EAT MY [censored]!! [censored] THAT [censored] [censored] [censored] PUSSY [censored]!!

Shajen
02-08-2005, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

MOTHER [censored] YOU AND YOUR GODDAMN MOTHER [censored] DUKE [censored] BITCHES!! LAETTNER A IS COCK SLOBBING [censored] [censored] WHO CAN EAT MY [censored]!! [censored] THAT [censored] [censored] [censored] PUSSY [censored]!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey man, if you keep holding all that anger in it's gonna kill you. You gotta learn to let go.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Toro
02-08-2005, 03:35 PM
Easily the 1980 Winter Olympics at Lake Placid where the U.S. Hockey team comprised of amateur collegians beat the mighty Russians to take the gold(although that technically was not the gold medal game).

They even made a movie about it.

istewart
02-08-2005, 03:39 PM
I liked Miracle.

Duke
02-08-2005, 05:12 PM
Oh there are some good ones. I'm not much of a team sports fan, so my favorites are all biased toward one guy shining a little more brightly than usual on a day.

The 2 Kirk Gibson World Series homers (Tigers '84 and Dodgers '88). It was more impressive in '88 when they decided to have the guy who could hardly walk pinch hit. He -had- to hit a home run since they could have thrown him out at first from anywhere else on the field (they damn near needed a gurney to wheel him to the batter's box).

The Jack Morris 10 inning shutout in '91. That was ridiculous.

For me, Game 7 when the Diamondbacks won the World Series a few years ago was great. I was sitting in a car listening to the game on the radio, so I didn't have the benefit of seeing everything that people on TV saw. I didn't -know- that Johnson was warming up. So to me, when they put a guy in who just pitched 7 innings the night before it was one of those "moments."

If I keep going it'll turn into the "best sports moments" instead of best finals game.

~D

pudley4
02-08-2005, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm doing pure championship games, not playoff games.

NFL-49ers v. Bengals-Montana to Taylor.
MLB-Twins v. Braves-Morris goes 10.
NCAAB-Duke v. UNLV-Duke ends the hope for an undefeated season.
NCAAF-Miami v. Ohio St.-Stupid flag lets OSU win National Title.

[/ QUOTE ]

UNLV-Duke was the semifinal.

MrFeelNothin
02-08-2005, 05:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I liked Miracle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Miracle was pretty good, but the HBO documentary, "Do You Believe in Miracles" is better and its not even close. I think non-hockey fans would enjoy it and it is available at Best Buy, etc. Only 60 minutes of footage on the DVD, but it is a very emotional hour.