PDA

View Full Version : Poker Academy $20 at Fry's

Zapped
02-07-2005, 05:01 PM
For U.S. folks, I just noticed in today's newspaper ad that Poker Academy is on sale at Fry's for $20 (no rebate needed). Some notes -

* outpost.com does NOT offer this special - just the bricks'n'mortar Fry's.

* The ad seems to depict the more expensive Poki's Poker Academy, but what's on sale is just the standard Poker Academy that sells for $40 online at http://wwww.poker-academy.com. I've heard that "Poki's Poker Academy" and "Poker Academy" are the same thing anyway since v.1.5 came out, and only "Poker Academy Pro" is a more expensive upgrade.

* It's version 1.5, but upon installation it auto-updates to 1.5.1 (build 72)

I've read mixed reviews here, but I picked it up today and think it's pretty good for the price. The tables are configurable for number of opponents, whether it's limit or no-limit, blind sizes, single-table tournament versus ring game, etc. Some of the 'bots are also configurable. Hand history and hand evaluator seem well done.

Joe B.
02-07-2005, 06:00 PM
will the patch that available to download for this game make it the pro version?

Analyst
02-07-2005, 07:08 PM
Nice catch!

Do you know if this is upgradable to the full Academy Pro?

obeythekitten
02-07-2005, 08:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
will the patch that available to download for this game make it the pro version?

[/ QUOTE ]

think about that question for a minute.

Joe B.
02-07-2005, 08:54 PM
i did..

on Poker Academy download section on there web site says:

These programs will upgrade to Poker Academy Pro version 1.5.1. Choose the appropriate product and operating system from the choices below:

Poki's Poker Academy Poker Academy Poker Academy Pro

http://www.poki-poker.com/downloads/

just making sure before i go buy Poker Academy game at Fry's, if the patch 1.51 turns the game to pro version?

La Brujita
02-07-2005, 10:08 PM
Looks like they changed the site but as of a few weeks ago the chepest one doesn't update to the top program. In other words Poker Academy didn't update to Poker Academy Pro but Poki's Poker Academy does.

The names are damn confusing but I would NOT buy the cheapest one without checking with support at that site.

They have a forum you can check out.

obeythekitten
02-08-2005, 04:21 AM
why would they even bother selling the $99 version if you could buy the cheaper one and use a simple patch to turn it into the pro version?

notice the diffrence in wording. a PATCH is available that fixes bugs in the packaged version. if you pay the diffrence between the two you can UPGRADE to the more expensive version. i really dont see what is so hard to figure out here.

Zapped
02-08-2005, 01:08 PM
Yes, it can be upgraded. In the program, Help-->Upgrade brings me to this (hidden) URL:

http://www.poker-academy.com/pro_upgrade.php

...showing a cost of $65 to upgrade. So the total price to me would be $20 initial + $65 upgrad = $85 for Pro, which sells for $129 on the main software/download page. I'm not willing to pay that much for the head's up 'bots Sparbot & Vexbot plus a few other minor features, though. Maybe another $10 or so, not $65.

Played with it more last night & like it a lot. I should add that although I'm a relative n00b to Hold'Em, I'm a fairly serious n00b. I play micro-stakes (0.10/0.25 NL) at UltimateBet, enjoy the live Fantasy Poker games here in Austin, TX (http://www.tfpl.net), play an occasional home game, have read Brunson SS & Miller SSHE fairly closely, Sklansky ToP less closely, and am fairly comfortable with probability & combinatorials. I'm not good, but I'm not completely clueless either /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Joe B.
02-08-2005, 01:24 PM
how the AI so far on it? do they play smart?

have you try low limit yet? do they play smart on it?

Joe B.
02-08-2005, 01:28 PM
wow

they just change there web site

it use to say
These programs will upgrade to Poker Academy Pro version 1.5.1. Choose the appropriate product and operating system from the choices below:

Poki's Poker Academy, Poker Academy, Poker Academy Pro

Now it says
hese programs will upgrade to Version 1.5.1. Choose the appropriate product and operating system from the choices below:
Poki's Poker Academy, Poker Academy, Poker Academy Pro

Yesterday it said it will upgrade to the pro version 1.51, now they change it to say upgrade to 1.51

Zapped
02-08-2005, 04:12 PM
JoeB wrote:
[ QUOTE ]
how the AI so far on it? do they play smart?
have you try low limit yet? do they play smart on it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't feel qualified to say whether they play smart, or tight, loose, aggressive, passive, or stoned. /images/graemlins/smile.gif The pre-configured tables each have a mixture of different 'bot types and I'm only playing the easiest table right now to get a feel for the program. Later I'll probably try to create a custom table with the more sophisticated bots whose strategy can be customized both preflop and postflop(Pokibot, Xenbot).

Bottom line, from a reasonably frugal ex-Yankee, is that for $20 this program is a must-have.

Aaron Davidson
02-08-2005, 06:39 PM
To clarify all the confusion (hopefully):

Fry's is selling 'Poker Academy' but it seems they have mistakenly called it 'Poki's Poker Academy' in their database. We'll ask them to correct that ASAP.

Yes, there is an upgrade path from the cheap Poker Academy to the Pro version, currently at $65, but that price is subject to change.

If anyone has questions about the products please email us at support@poker-academy.com, or visit our forums at http://www.poker-academy.com/forums/

Cheers,
Aaron

syka16
02-14-2005, 11:43 AM
I've been using the upgraded version for a while now. First, the old Poki AI players were not what you'd find in a typical low stakes game. And it was hard to adjust them to play LP preflop and LAG there after.

Pkr Acad Pro is a little better but with the same problems with adjusting oppositional play. If you play higher stakes, I think could be valuable.

problem areas:

The programmed calling stations give up too often on the turn and river. A true CS isn't folding 88 come what may.

I can't seem to configure a real maniac (like the ones you'll run into at LL and micros)

If you play SNGs: forget about working on bubble strategy. They aren't fighting for ITM. Plus they're way to loose even the TAGs. Ok, maybe if you're playing 10+1, it might be useful for levels 1-3.

If you've had better success with adjusting oppositional play, please post which players you've used and their settings

Thanks

oreogod
02-15-2005, 03:26 AM
Hey sky, did you find it worth upgrading to Pro? Im curious to how the advanced heads up bots play...the ones included in the basic PA were push overs about 5-10 mins into the match.

Thanks.

turnipmonster
02-15-2005, 03:49 PM
the thing that's neat about the bots is they adapt to your play. so while you might think they're pushovers after 5 minutes, they should play very well against you after 20k hands.