PDA

View Full Version : AKo v. UTG raise

el Jefe
02-07-2005, 03:39 PM
I think this hand is more interesting from my opponent's perspective as it could be a tricky situation.

$20+2 SNG and you are UTG+1 with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif. If you've been paying attention the UTG raiser has folded all but 2 hands of the 14-15 played thus far. Early on he called a small raise on the button then folded to a bet out on the flop and he won a small pot from the BB when he bet out on a Q high flop -- he has shown no cards.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

CO (t900)
Button (t505)
SB (t610)
BB (t2065)
<font color="black">Hero</font> (t765)
<font color="green">You</font> (t895)
MP1 (t770)
MP2 (t765)
MP3 (t725)

Preflop:
<font color="#CC3333"> <font color="black">Hero</font> raises to t75</font>, <font color="green">You</font> call t75, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>.

anybody re-raise or fold here?

Flop: (t195) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="black">Hero</font> checks, <font color="green">You </font> bet t175</font>, <font color="black">Hero</font> <font color="#CC3333">raises to t350</font>.

anybody bet less here? what's your play after you've been check min-raised and what do you put your opponent on?

results and thoughts to follow.

-Jeff

sofere
02-07-2005, 04:00 PM
If I read UTG to be TAG (still too early to tell for sure as its only 2nd level), I would say he's got AA-JJ (discounting AA because 2 are already out), AK, maybe AQs. I am only really worried about JJ.

I'm trying to learn how to outplay people on the flop, so here goes. I was thinking about cold calling see what UTG does next, mostly hoping a club comes so I can represent the flush if the opponent bets out, but I would definitely fold to a push. Is this play completely horrible?

david050173
02-07-2005, 04:10 PM
To me the likely hands are AK or AQ of clubs with a decent chance of 2 pair (AJ) or trips. With trips or 2 pair, I would expect a bet to not give you a free card. Of course he thinks you are agressive and will always bet he would also check.

I would bet less on the flop 1/2-2/3 the pot. It will win about as often as pot sized bets and save you some chips. I don't like calling this bet. What do you do plan on doing on the turn? If you put another 175 in, you don't have a whole lot of chips left. Of course neither does he. Pushing isn't likely to get a fold unless he is bluffing. Either way I would expect him to push the turn.

11t
02-07-2005, 04:15 PM
Okay, you called a raise from UTG with AK and since you hold both of the outs lets assume he lacks both AA and KK but of course do not discount those hands as possibilities preflop.

You flopped TPTK HU vs a tight player. This is basically what you were looking to do, now the only hand that a tight player from UTG who knows what hes doing at such an early level could have here that beats you is JJ. I would actually discout JJ here, simply because I think a tight player here UTG would call with JJ and try to see the flop for cheap and make an overpair.

I think he check raises with KK or AQ, he bets out with AK. I would push.

david050173
02-07-2005, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I think he check raises with KK or AQ, he bets out with AK. I would push.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain why you come to this conclusion? Why would you check with AQ but bet with AK? It is slightly more likely he has AQ than AK but I can imagine he plays them both the same.

The other thing is 14 hands really isn't enough to get a good judge on someones play. If he had been delt AA, KK, AK, QQ earlier in the game, you would be talking about how is a maniac raising every other hand. AJ suited is definitely a hand I don't discount unless I know the player is really tight.

swarm
02-07-2005, 06:32 PM
Because of his propensity to fold I would have re-raised on the flop to gauge where he is at...

Since he folded so many hands early this could be an impatient AQ praying you are on a flush draw. I would think that AJ or JJ or AA would have pushed in fear of the flush and straight draws.

I push!

ericlambi
02-07-2005, 06:55 PM
Just push the re-raise. He didn't raise in EP with 77 or A7 (if he is any good). If he has AA, JJ, or AJ, then more power to him -- there will be another tournament in 1 minute. He's obviously going to play aggressive and you aren't going to fold are you? If he's on a flush draw (doubtful, but possible) or playing AQ, make him pay dearly for it.

Big Limpin'
02-07-2005, 07:17 PM
i put him on a pair/draw combo. He has the ace of clubs, with another club. the other has to be fairly high to account for the p/f raise.

Of course, its a pure guess, but if you want one specific hand, i'd put him on AcQc.

And Jefe, that 1 paragraph blurb about his action in the first 15 hands...that was money. I wish every hand history posted had that kind of intro.

ilya
02-07-2005, 07:45 PM
I would just fold this preflop. If I was in better position, I'd call preflop and on that flop I'd bet pot if checked to and be willing to go all-in.

el Jefe
02-07-2005, 09:51 PM
he pushed his remaining 645 and I called showing J /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif. The turn and river were 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif and I doubled up.

Looking back I'm not sure whether the min-raise was the proper play or if I should've just check-raised all-in. He was aggressive and I had no doubt he'd bet that flop. His pot sized bet led me to believe he was afraid of the flush. What I didn't want to do was put him in a spot where he could make a correct decision by folding. If he had just called my raise I was planning to push regardless of the turn card.

-Jeff

Michael C.
02-07-2005, 11:30 PM
Why would you fold this pre-flop? Just curious, because I can see calling or raising, but not folding. How can you be so confident he has AA or KK just off of one raise?

Michael C.
02-07-2005, 11:33 PM
I would have definitely lost all my chips there. Even though the raiser looks tight, he could still be playing AQ, QQ or any one of a number of other hands. This being the $20 game he could also have something like A 10s. And I don't think folding 13 of 14 hands means that much. So basically there are two hands that beat you- AJ or JJ. I'd say the chances are better that he has another hand, and a lot of $20 players would call you with any ace. Since he had JJ I'd say "gg" and start another one. I still think pushing is the right play at the $20 table.