PDA

View Full Version : You get to decide which TV I should I buy...

IndieMatty
02-07-2005, 12:58 PM
Ok, I'm treating myself. I don't have a TV in my bedroom (typical NYC bedroom size). I also need a monitor. Mentally I am able to three table, but my monitor sucks so...I see this Dell deal which I think is pretty good.

Dell 26 $1399 (http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/lcd_w2600?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs)

Dell 30 $1899 (http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/lcd_w3000?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs)

My major concern is the size, that "30 is too big, hanging on the wall is a little bit of a chore because I have a brick wall, though it would look really cool over the fireplace.

Does anyone use a TV these sizes to play on? surf the web? Is it cool? For some reason it seems like it would suck sometimes?

I already have a 43" Pioneer Plasma downstairs, but its owned by the roommate so, when I move this will be my primary TV. (Another point for the 30)

The %26 is practical for now. Unless some of you think that is even too big.

So please pick my TV. Sale ends today so, your votes get it.

astroglide
02-07-2005, 01:06 PM
a rear-projection (probably 18" deep) 50" sony lcd set would probably run in the low/mid 2s

IndieMatty
02-07-2005, 01:11 PM
Thanks, I definitely do not have room for that. I need something that can either sit atop my desk or I can hang.

I am very happy with my current plasma. I know the LCDs are dodgy, but I think something like this is what would suit me best.

citanul
02-07-2005, 01:22 PM
Neither of these is going to be great for playing cards on or surfing the web/doing othe computer stuff.

Check the resolution. Keep in mind that the resolutation that is always quoted as the "no overlap 4 table resolution" is 1600x1200.

At what distance are you going to be viewing this? If it's anything close to the 2 feet that is the recommended viewing distance for monitors, this resolution will drive you batty.

What's up with your prank thread? Did I miss it?

citanul

IndieMatty
02-07-2005, 01:25 PM
hmmm ok. So computer stuff wont look good on this?

haha... ok ok, I'll work on it and post it tomorrow AM before I leave for the week.

Emmitt2222
02-07-2005, 01:26 PM
TVs are for watching TV, computers are for playing poker until they can come up with a big TV with a large resolution [at least 1600x1200] that doesnt cost and arm and a leg it is useless to combine them. Save some money and dont mix the two.

GuyOnTilt
02-07-2005, 01:35 PM
Neither of those is going to be any good for online poker.

GoT

IndieMatty
02-07-2005, 01:37 PM
None huh? Obviously I'm clueless about this.

LALDAAS
02-07-2005, 01:40 PM
I was thinking of doing this my self moving into a new apt next week my big screen tv is going to wind up in the living room.

I thought it would be a good idea as well, I guess I will wait to hear more replies.

So far it would seem a bad idea /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Duke
02-07-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
None huh? Obviously I'm clueless about this.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to play online multi-tabling, you're going ot want something that'll do 1600x1200 or better.

Find the cheapest 24" that you can find tha'll do 1920x1200 and you'll be far more satisfied than if you try to use what is effectively a TV as a monitor.

Monitors can make decent TV's, but TV's cannot make decent monitors.

~D

LALDAAS
02-07-2005, 01:47 PM
I have a 47HD tv, I play poker on it all the time. I kick back in my easy chair with my gyro mouse, Its pretty sweet.

However I also only play a single table at a time. At best the rez is 800x600 so multi-tabling is out. usless you dont mind clicking back and forth.

Its fairly clear as far as poker goes for surfing the web the smaller the text the more blurry it gets.

I havent looked into the rez on the other tv's.

GuyOnTilt
02-07-2005, 02:07 PM
However I also only play a single table at a time. At best the rez is 800x600 so multi-tabling is out.

That's the main reason I said they'd suck for poker. Most TV's resolutions are 1280x768. When I was in the market to replace my old projector, I made sure my new one was 1600x1200 just in case I ever wanted to use it for poker. Any smaller resolution drives me nuts now that I've been playing on 16x12.

GoT

IndieMatty
02-07-2005, 02:12 PM
I currently 3 table, but I flip back and forth. My whole system is about 4 years old (I still use Windows ME). So this may just be for the novelty.

Does one table look decent on something like this?

TazQ
02-07-2005, 02:12 PM
Just FYI.

I bought a 3rd generation Samsung DLP recently. I can connect my video card to it using DVI and set my resolution at 19xx by 1080. This is enough to 4 table poker with a little overlap on the chat boxes.

GuyOnTilt
02-07-2005, 02:15 PM

I have no clue. Never tried it. I've seen pictures of people doing it, but that's it.

BTW, your avatar is the funniest I've ever seen. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

GoT

IndieMatty
02-07-2005, 02:18 PM
Glad you like it.

It's hard to tell from those pictures...oh well. I'm just in the mood to buy a toy.

LALDAAS
02-07-2005, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I currently 3 table, but I flip back and forth. My whole system is about 4 years old (I still use Windows ME). So this may just be for the novelty.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do it, Its fine for "single table" the numbers are a tiny bit fuzzy thought but [censored] its nice the layin on the couch then sitting in a chair for hours.