PDA

View Full Version : Live Game Win Rate Results...

jordanx
02-07-2005, 07:09 AM
I finished tabulating my results for last year and since so many people ask the question "How much can I expect to win live?" I figured I'd post it.

3/6
Hours Played: 546
Sessions: 68
Session Win: %60
Win rate: 8.56$/hour

Increased chance of lung cancer %53 /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Notes: My sessions are around 8 hours. I tip the waitress out of my stack, so that averages about 4$/session. I've played other limits but not nearly enough hours to contain relevant data.

The vast majority of hours I played at a location w/ a rake of 10% 3$ max + 1$ jackpot drop.

I tip 1$ per pot avg.

Other notes: I count Monte Carlo/other Jackpot in my winnings. I have only hit the MC jackpot once for 63$ and won an additional 200$ in high hand bonuses. I suspect I've been unlucky in this category and should have made more of a return on my jackpot $.

Small sample size, but might give you an idea what to expect... Taco Time isn't looking so bad now, is it?

steamboatin
02-07-2005, 08:36 AM
That beats a part time job to death.

1. Its fun
2. Play when you want not when some [censored] says
3. Leave when you want.

I hope I don't say this wrong and hurt your feelings but on the surface it appears you may need to work on your game. I believe you have some leaks if you played 546 hours of $3-6 and are only beating it for less than 1.5 Big Bets per hour. (Jackpots shouldn't be included, they skew the numbers in your favor.)

I have to qualify this because standard deviation and variance could have eaten your lunch. It is very possible for a winning player to be in the hole after 546 hours and a losing player could be significantly ahead in the same time frame if they have been running good.

Last week I ran good, playing $3-6 and $5-10 up $585 in about nine hours of play. Do you know what that means?

Absolutely Nothing

I have been playing poker for two years and I am up for the entire two years but that does not mean I am a winning player. It really bothered me when I learned that I might be a losing player and the long term just hasn't caught up to me yet.

I like to think I have a grasp on that concept now but poker is way more complicated than I ever imagined.

jordanx
02-07-2005, 09:20 AM
My game has improved dramatically since around July of last year when I picked up SSHE. Before that I was a by the book WLLHE player and didn't account for a lot of hidden outs and wasn't value betting the river nearly enough nor protecting my hands w/ raises nearly enough.

I didn't even start posting here until Sept. and honestly I played much more stud than hold-em, NL tourneys aside.

I'm a solid SS HE player now and I couldn't tell you my current win rate. I think a year with about 600 hours of logged game time is enough to get a good idea though (well, whether it is or not, it's all I've got).

Maybe next year I'll post my new rate.

I don't play poker for a living and I don't intend to. I play because I love the game. I love the persuit of mastery of the game.

Money wise, one thing is for certain, I have booked way more in winnings from tournaments than the SS cash games.

Edit:

Also, I would consider jackpot wins as earnings: You pay out into the jackpot funds directly from your earnings and it is certainly a -EV proposition. The bad beat jackpots I could do without, but I do like the MC and high hands, even though they cost me earnings. They provide for a large influx of money into the table and tend to favor looser players.

However, it's analagous to the BlackJack bonuses someplaces offer that I'm sure Pros would figure into their edge.