PDA

View Full Version : prop bet

The Truth
02-07-2005, 06:34 AM
Here is the situation.
Heads up limit holdem.
You have 2 options.

1. You can be the BB every hand, but you get to act last on every round every hand.

2. You can be the SB every hand, but you have to act first on every round of every hand.

How would the blind structure affect your answer. if you are plaing the 2/4 chip blind structure, the 2/3 chip blind structure and the 1/3 chip blind structure.

bugstud
02-07-2005, 07:22 AM
so you're playing HU on party

I take the BB everytime

NLSoldier
02-07-2005, 07:32 AM
Take the BB and position and its not close.

BarronVangorToth
02-07-2005, 10:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Take the BB and position and its not close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed 1,000%.

(Okay, 100%)

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com (http://www.BarronVangorToth.com)

DcifrThs
02-07-2005, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Here is the situation.
Heads up limit holdem.
You have 2 options.

1. You can be the BB every hand, but you get to act last on every round every hand.

2. You can be the SB every hand, but you have to act first on every round of every hand.

How would the blind structure affect your answer. if you are plaing the 2/4 chip blind structure, the 2/3 chip blind structure and the 1/3 chip blind structure.

[/ QUOTE ]

imo, the only way to make this proposition bet close is to also have the bb pay a fee to have position...and/or take away his position on the expensive streets (or some combination in between)

-Barron

TStoneMBD
02-07-2005, 10:03 PM
as many here know, i play live full tables. chopping is standard practice in live games. i used to have a rule that i would chop in the small blind, but would play in the big blind. people used to think that it made no sense but it certainly does. i dont do that anymore however, as its pretty prickish of me, and i now chop in both positions.

Brom
02-07-2005, 11:20 PM
Acting last on every round is way more important IMO. The fact that you have the BB helps this situation even more. Think about it, the SB might just fold allowing you to win some situations. If he limps then you get the option for a free play. If he raises, under a standard 1/2 blind structure, he is only getting 1:1 on his money, but you would be getting 3:1 to call that raise.

If the structure is a 2/3 size SB then he would be getting 4:5 (only slightly better than 1:1) on his raise, and you would still be getting 3:1.

If the SB is 1/3 then he is getting a dismal 5:4 on his money (less than 1:1), and you are still getting the 3:1.

So it's BB and acting last every time for me.

obi---one
02-07-2005, 11:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
as many here know, i play live full tables. chopping is standard practice in live games. i used to have a rule that i would chop in the small blind, but would play in the big blind. people used to think that it made no sense but it certainly does. i dont do that anymore however, as its pretty prickish of me, and i now chop in both positions.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats some of the biggest crap I have ever heard. You either chop or you don't. That is like saying that you chop unless you have a good hand. Good to see you changed your ways.

SpaceAce
02-08-2005, 12:55 AM
I would take the bigger blind + position every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

SpaceAce

AlwaysWrong
02-08-2005, 08:54 AM
I can't see anyone thinking this is close, so maybe to spur a little discussion:

How out of whack would the blinds have to be for you to take the sb? Obviously if the blinds are x / 0 the sb is on a freeroll and can just wait for AA. So where's the break-even point?

Obviously this will depend on relative player skill, but say you against an unknown.

The Truth
02-08-2005, 08:59 AM
I cant see 1 to 10 ratio still being profitable with position.

Lets assume both players are equal in skill.

AlwaysWrong
02-09-2005, 04:33 AM
I was thinking it might be as low as 5/1

CardSharpCook
02-09-2005, 04:45 AM
If this were No limit I would take the SB. Fold 1 of 10 hands, raise the rest and TAKE HIM DOWN!!!! Of course, there is more strategy and manuevering than that, but the priniciple is sound: FIFO baby, either you're the First In, or your First Out. Have the SB means you get the first chance to be first in.

But limit is a different game. If the small blind was zero, I'd still take the button.

CSC

AlwaysWrong
02-09-2005, 10:07 AM
How can the big blind possibly win if the sb is zero? Worst case for the sb is that he folds every time and breaks even. If once in every 220 hands the sb raises with his AA I don't see how the bb can play profitably even if he knows exactly what his opponent is playing.

Leaky Eye
02-09-2005, 11:36 AM
My answer is similar to TStone's. I never chop, and I fold alot in the small blind. I pay this tax so that I can play the BB with position. Every now and then you get a player who doesn't understand position well, and feels he has to put alot of money in the pot everytime it is folded to his small blind. I don't know if this phenomenon would translate to the game described here, but I would still take the BB and position.

imported_stealthcow
02-09-2005, 06:22 PM
i think if i was small blind and had to pay less then 1/4 of what the big blind paid, i'd take it.

if you play your best 1/4 hands then you should be able to play them profitably against the range of hands your opponent has.

stealthcow-