PDA

View Full Version : Party 15/30 A5s

Nate tha' Great
02-07-2005, 04:08 AM
I have A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif on the Button. Folded to a loose-aggressive player in the CO (44/19/1.3) who open-raises. I 3-bet against unknown blinds who fold. He calls.

Flop A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif A /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. He checks, I bet, he calls.

Turn J /images/graemlins/heart.gif he checks, I bet, he checkraises, I call.

River is the 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif he bets and I raise.

bugstud
02-07-2005, 04:15 AM
I don't like it, only because I think he can fold a J but you get 3bet by some to most better hands.

If you think he folds A6 to the raise, which I doubt, then I like it better.

Equal
02-07-2005, 04:21 AM
I don't like it either. Against a LAG like this, no point in waiting until the river. 3 bet the turn and call down if he caps. If not, lead out on the river and call a raise.

The Truth
02-07-2005, 06:48 AM
i like it. He could put you on KK, or QQ and think he can push you off with the aces out there, just calling encourages him to put another bet in on the river when he could fold for 1 more on the turn. If you are beat you lose the same number of bets. if hes bluffing you win more. If hes got a lone J or something you prolby make the same.

CanKid
02-07-2005, 11:02 AM
I guess you're paying off a 3bet?

Paluka
02-07-2005, 11:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]

If you think he folds A6 to the raise, which I doubt, then I like it better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hah!

bicyclekick
02-07-2005, 12:03 PM
Nate you tought me this line and this is a good spot for it. Well played.

Bugstud. Nobody...not any one of those 65k party players is folding A6 on this hand. lol.

DcifrThs
02-07-2005, 01:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif on the Button. Folded to a loose-aggressive player in the CO (44/19/1.3) who open-raises. I 3-bet against unknown blinds who fold. He calls.

Flop A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif A /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. He checks, I bet, he calls.

Turn J /images/graemlins/heart.gif he checks, I bet, he checkraises, I call.

River is the 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif he bets and I raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

note to self: use this line...

when i first read through the post, i was thinking raising the turn would be better because you may get him to cap and/or call with a draw that he wont pay off to the river raise...

but after reading it again thinking about what hes got...i like the river raise and call a 3bet better (but not by all that much)...one main point imo (and it may not be main at all) is that on the turn, he may think he's gunna have to put more in on the river, whereas with the river raise he has to put in only 1 bet to 'see it'

-Barron

Nate tha' Great
02-07-2005, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess you're paying off a 3bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think I have to pay off a 3-bet against this dude. I think the flush card *might* protect be against a loose 3-bet from something like KQ, which I'm a little bit afraid of, but I'd still want to pay it off.

TStoneMBD
02-07-2005, 09:37 PM
raising the river is better than raising the turn, because it induces a bluff. that said, i dont think raising the river here is a good play, but i play against much more conservative passive players than the ones you play against on PP, so im not sure how likely it is for him to checkraise the turn with a hand weaker than yours while able to pay off a river raise.

Steve Giufre
02-07-2005, 10:39 PM
I like it a lot. I dont think you can just go into call down mode after he checkraises the turn. Agaist a more passive opponent sure, but not in a raise reraise situation bewteen the cutoff and the button agaist this kind of player. Raising the river is better than 3 betting the turn here IMO. Obviously he will shut down when he is making a move at you without the goods, and we want him to lead the river when he is behind. But the real reason I like it is that its gonna be a lot harder for him to three bet with a better hand on the river than it will be for him to do it on the turn. I wouldnt be surpirsed if he just smooth calls with KQ or a better ace. He will also probably pay off a few more marginal hands on the end, when maybe he dumps them if you 3 bet the turn.

Nate tha' Great
02-07-2005, 10:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like it a lot. I dont think you can just go into call down mode after he checkraises the turn. Agaist a more passive opponent sure, but not in a raise reraise situation bewteen the cutoff and the button agaist this kind of player. Raising the river is better than 3 betting the turn here IMO. Obviously he will shut down when he is making a move at you without the goods, and we want him to lead the river when he is behind. But the real reason I like it is that its gonna be a lot harder for him to three bet with a better hand on the river than it will be for him to do it on the turn. I wouldnt be surpirsed if he just smooth calls with KQ or a better ace. He will also probably pay off a few more marginal hands on the end, when maybe he dumps them if you 3 bet the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post; your thoughts reflect mine almost exactly.

FWIW, he had KJ, and did call the river bet on the end. I think the flush card is especially helpful in this regard, as he's more likely to make some sort of curiousity / bluff-catching call, and less likely to 3-bet unless he's very strong himself.