PDA

View Full Version : HU Again Versus a 3-bet

gaming_mouse
02-07-2005, 01:21 AM
Villain: VPIP=50, PFR=13, aggr < 1.

I played this poorly. Anyone see any merit in:

1. Folding the flop?
2. Folding the turn?
3. c/raising the turn, folding to a 3-bet, taking a free showdown unimproved.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.33 SB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.16 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.16 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 7.16 BB

gaming_mouse
02-07-2005, 02:40 AM
bump

Argus
02-07-2005, 03:30 AM
Nobody folds to a call. So you can't call the flop bet unless you're setting up a bluff later in the hand or you think ace high is taking down the pot. You simply aren't getting the pot odds to chase your high card and the backdoor flush. If you think your twos are good then you can call with slim odds, but again I prefer to raise the flop. It lets you take the control of the hand and may get you a free card on the turn unimproved. If you raise the flop I recommend check/folding the turn. In your line I prefer raising the turn and folding unimproved or to a 3-bet as you suggest.

I don't think you need to fold the flop, but I also don't think you'll win unimproved. I see BB on A-better kicker or pocket pair. Over how many hands is your read? If it's a few hundred then I'm much more likely to get frisky since his preflop raise doesn't mean as much with PFR=13%. His betting out just seems a continuation of the steal and he could possibly have any two. The problem is it could very well be a better any two than you have and you'd like to find out as cheaply as possible, and win the most if you catch your ace. That means you have to raise somewhere.

gaming_mouse
02-07-2005, 03:43 AM
You know, re-reading this hand now, I see I should have CLEARLY folded the turn, if not the flop. Even if his PFR is kinda high, he 3-bet this. Granted that since we're HU his standards are probably lower, but still. Almost all his hands beat me, don't they?

Argus
02-07-2005, 03:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You know, re-reading this hand now, I see I should have CLEARLY folded the turn, if not the flop. Even if his PFR is kinda high, he 3-bet this. Granted that since we're HU his standards are probably lower, but still. Almost all his hands beat me, don't they?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure, because it could be a steal or high cards that whiffed, but he could also really have you. That's why I like a flop raise. I would fold to almost any further aggression after that, but just calling down doesn't give you a good feel of where you are and you don't have a hand worth showing down. I save the calling down for things like when you pair an ace on board but don't like your kicker, or otherwise have a marginal made hand that can beat a steal bluff and not much else.

Schizo
02-07-2005, 03:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Granted that since we're HU his standards are probably lower, but still. Almost all his hands beat me, don't they?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends, I've played against people who claim to go by Doyle's Super System. I haven't read the book yet (on my list though) but I've actually been 3-bet PF with J6s by somebody who put me on a blind steal. I capped w/ AK and the flop came AJ6, turn K, river 6. Needless to say I wasn't happy. But I've seen a lot of strange plays when it comes to blind steal/defense.

For your original post, I am amazed you didn't fold the turn. I would of raised the flop as a semi bluff. Keep in mind I am still a noob and I don't know SH play yet.

Here is a thread you need to check out.

SH play for noobs (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Number=1215269&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;s b=5&amp;o=&amp;vc=1)

gaming_mouse
02-07-2005, 04:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
On a side note, I am amazed you didn't fold the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, me too. /images/graemlins/smile.gif It was really ugly.