PDA

View Full Version : American Dad

Sponger15SB
02-07-2005, 12:22 AM
Instead of saying "from the creators of the family guy" why not just say "a direct copy of the family guy"

pshreck
02-07-2005, 12:23 AM
This is just Family Guy but not quite as good. Im sure Ill still like it, but I dont think it will last, and its really not original whatsoever.

brassnuts
02-07-2005, 12:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Instead of saying "from the creators of the family guy" why not just say "a direct copy of the family guy"

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah. Family Guy was funny.

James Boston
02-07-2005, 12:27 AM
Up to the first commercial break, this is not funny at all.

The Ocho
02-07-2005, 12:27 AM
First five minutes were unfunny and flat-out painful. Making fun of "orange-alerts" and the like is played out. I changed the channel to Adult Swim.

Schneids
02-07-2005, 12:33 AM
Know-it-all dad in both shows.
1-dimensional-caring mother in both.
Uptight daughter in both.
Un-cool laidback son in both.
Stewie and fish = same personalities.
Alien and Brian = same personalities.

This show sucks.

girgy44
02-07-2005, 12:34 AM
terrible show.

pshreck
02-07-2005, 12:36 AM
I'm thinking that Seth, when he knew that FG was over, went to put his efforts into a new animated project.

Then the FG DVD comes out and the sales blow everyone away, implying they will get another shot. Meanwhile he has started this other project. He probably stop putting much effort into this show and saved his better jokes for fam guy.

Plus... this is a preview episode... clearly code talk for... "We only have one show thus far, and we want to see if anyone likes it enough for us to show a whole season...".

I wouldn't be surprised if we never see another American Dad show after this one.

Sponger15SB
02-07-2005, 12:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just said this to my roomate and he said back "you ever notice how Curb Your Enthusiam is almost exactly like Seinfeld....

blasts!

MEbenhoe
02-07-2005, 12:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Know-it-all dad in both shows.
1-dimensional-caring mother in both.
Uptight daughter in both.
Un-cool laidback son in both.
Stewie and fish = same personalities.
Alien and Brian = same personalities.

This show sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif excellent analysis, ni han

TheIrishThug
02-07-2005, 12:42 AM
this sucks, i'm in boston don't give a [censored] about the pats, just want to see american dad for myself. but no they have to cover the non-riot

nice simpsons just started, only 30 more mins

scotty34
02-07-2005, 01:46 AM
I don't know, maybe its because I'm Canadian, but I actually thought it was pretty funny. I was watching it with a group of 10 other semi-drunk guys so that may have contributed. But still, it really wasn't that bad.

Reef
02-07-2005, 01:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I dont think it will last, and its really not original whatsoever.

[/ QUOTE ]

In other words, it's horrible

TheIrishThug
02-07-2005, 01:52 AM
ok, i liked it. i'm not saying that there were no jokes that didn't work or got old. but really, its a piolt u have to give it a little leeway. go back and watch the first episodes of the simpsons and then compare it to even the 2nd season. writer work out kinks and more solid ideas of what works and doesn't will be established.

nothumb
02-07-2005, 01:55 AM
I was drunk and giddy after the PATS WIN WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT

and I still didn't enjoy it. So it sucks.

NT

TheIrishThug
02-07-2005, 02:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking that Seth, when he knew that FG was over, went to put his efforts into a new animated project.

Then the FG DVD comes out and the sales blow everyone away, implying they will get another shot. Meanwhile he has started this other project. He probably stop putting much effort into this show and saved his better jokes for fam guy.

Plus... this is a preview episode... clearly code talk for... "We only have one show thus far, and we want to see if anyone likes it enough for us to show a whole season...".

I wouldn't be surprised if we never see another American Dad show after this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

american dad was well into production before they found out fg was gonna be uncancelled. if u remeber, fg wa premiered after the super bowl, and then had a short break til the season started. and for the show never airing again, u will be disappointed. May 1st both shows will begin their season.

and for the similarity in characters, there r only so many types of characters u can have. all the ad characters r not mirriors of fg characters, there r overlays of various parts.

AngryCola
02-07-2005, 02:20 AM
It wasn't bad, but it is too similar to Family Guy.

Pshreck posted the correct reason why the shows are so similar.

They never thought Family Guy would be coming back.
They come up with this American Dad idea to see if they can actually get the network that screwed them to buy the same show in a different package. It would have been the greatest joke in the world for them.

But then they actually wanted Family Guy back because of the DVD sales and the success on Adult Swim.

Oops.

The first part of the show sucked, but it gradually got funnier.
But I'm thinking this show isn't going to be sticking around. Even though I'm a huge Family Guy fan, I will not be disappointed when American Dad is cancelled.

By the way, if you watched closely, the writers started making fun of how similar it was to Family Guy during the show. There was one bit where they used rehashed Family Guy jokes one after the other. In a way, that was the best joke in th whole show.

Fratony
02-07-2005, 03:13 AM
I have to agree that the show is undeniably close to family guy. On the other hand, i thought it was pretty funny and my buddies in the room agreed. Also, it was the first show and even when you look back and compare the first season of family guy, the 2nd is far superior with episodes like "da boom" and "wasted talent". I think the show will end up working out, but its unfortunate that both shows will be playing at the same time, too much of one thing will end up getting old.

jasonHoldEm
02-07-2005, 03:18 AM
I like Family guy but this was crap. I doubt fox will pick it up (or if they do it will be canceled after a few episodes).

captZEEbo1
02-07-2005, 03:19 AM
overall show not that good. I'm giving it a little leeway, because it's the first episode. The alien barf jokes are no good and need to stop. The period joke was actually done really really well and was about enough to make the whole show enough to watch it.

Reef
02-07-2005, 05:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
overall show not that good. I'm giving it a little leeway, because it's the first episode. The alien barf jokes are no good and need to stop. The period joke was actually done really really well and was about enough to make the whole show enough to watch it.

[/ QUOTE ]

ahhh, I wasn't playing the ZJ at drunken 2+2 50 cent tables.. it was you! Damn you suckout!

Michael Davis
02-07-2005, 05:53 AM
I like how the dad made a joke about farting and then five minutes later there was a commercial for Family Guy with Peter making a fart joke. Lame.

And fart jokes really aren't funny.

-Michael

Jack of Arcades
02-07-2005, 08:44 AM
Schneids, I think you're selling Lois short.

Schneids
02-07-2005, 11:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Schneids, I think you're selling Lois short.

[/ QUOTE ]
Lois works as the character she is when surrounded by that cast in Family Guy. But if she were to get killed off I don't think the show loses much of anything.

Michael Davis
02-07-2005, 11:31 AM
Replace Lois with Meg and I agree.

-Michael

fatmongo
02-14-2005, 12:29 AM
Show is on adult swim right now. Time to see how much of a rip off of Family Guy it is.

fatmongo
02-14-2005, 01:00 AM
I was not impressed. Wasn't horrible though. With a little refining, definitely watchable. But forget that, make more Family Guys.

sthief09
02-14-2005, 01:31 AM
if you lose Lois, you lose all the sex jokes