PDA

View Full Version : Being careful early

microbet
02-06-2005, 09:23 PM
I know the standard SNG theory is to be selective early and I agree with this, but there are many posts where it is assumed that you must be especially careful early and I have seen that this idea is controversial.

It seems to me that you need to win 8000 or 10000 or whatever chips to win the table and it doesn't matter when you win them. You will need to take some chances, and you will need to get lucky.

I think playing only premium hands in the early rounds is proper, primarily because you are facing a full table and you want to have the best hand as often as possible. You are also less often aggressive because the blinds are less often open for steal attempts and are harder to steal in relation to their size. (3 x BB doesn't often steal)

At times you are also less careful later because you are in danger of being blinded down and this obviously isn't true at first so you are more careful in that you are less desperate.

I think everyone agrees with me up to this point. But, when you do have a situation where you either are likely to have the best hand or when there is some money in the pot and you are in a good situation to steal it, you should be just as willing to take a chance early as you are late and even more so if you care about $/hr.