PDA

View Full Version : My Take on Internet Poker

07-22-2002, 01:49 PM
First of all, I want to say that I am not against having internet poker exist. Internet poker is a potential tool that can be very useful to the poker community as far as the promotion of the game goes. I think by far the best concept internet poker has concieved is Pokerschool online, which teaches the game, rather than blindly getting people into the poker room to spend money. Yes they charge fees, but this isn't gambling, its learning the game. And I could be wrong, but aren't their offices in Austin, Texas rather than costa rica?

I feel that internet poker will function best if it were taxed and regulated by the U.S. government. If this were to occur, we would be ensured of clean decks and we would know who ran these cardrooms, instead of having to deal with the outspoken promoters like Steve Badger. We would be able to contact the owners with our complaints and concerns, like every other established company in the U.S.

07-22-2002, 03:13 PM
I'm waiting for this too! Not so much as in that I feel the deal will then be fairer. US companies can still cheat, it's just harder.

The main reason I like US regulation is that currently, it's very hard to deposit funds in online sites for US citizens. This definitly lowers the fish count (there's lots of addicted gambling fish in the US, I've heard somewhere that the US accounts for a large percentage of the online gambling market)... It's all about trust, it appears people will trust US companies that are regulated by the government, so if the fish will play with regulation, then I'm all for it!

- Tony

07-22-2002, 03:16 PM
Just like the goverment regulates accounting practices for Enron, Worldcom, etc.. haha I don't think it will make a difference, and no not all people trust american companies siteing the above 2 examples

07-22-2002, 04:04 PM
If you don't want to play Internet Poker I suggest that you don't play. Furthermore if I was as paranoid about Internet poker as you obviously are, I certainly wouldn't play. Also, if Poker Pages / PokerSchool wants to promote their product here I suggest that they purchase an advertising banner.

MM

07-22-2002, 04:45 PM
Where is your disclaimer indicating that internet poker is illegal? You are in violation of the Uniform Commercial Code of the USA. You will have civil litigation taken against your company!

07-22-2002, 05:07 PM
Left Guard’s opinion is that Online Poker is an industry that needs regulation. For that, you think his thinking is abnormal—“obviously paranoid”?! I have to wonder what you think of those of us who lock our doors at night.

As for your suggestion that he not play Internet Poker, that’s his whole point. His terms for embracing Internet Poker include regulatory control, and he believes there are many other people who feel the same way he does. So what is the problem with that?

Tom D

07-22-2002, 07:03 PM
I suggest you return to law school and freshen up on the classes you slept through lol!

Jimbo

07-23-2002, 01:21 PM
is this the same way your goverment governs something like the voting system? Just because it is regulated by a government does mean that it is free from corruption (Not saying Internet Poker is corrupt)just saying that government intervention is not really a solution

07-23-2002, 02:02 PM
I agree with you. Just because a government regulates something doesn’t mean it is free from corruption. However, using the health department as an example of a regulatory authority, I am much more comfortable eating in restaurants knowing that someone is inspecting their kitchens. It doesn’t take much imagination to think of what might go on if restaurants weren’t required to maintain certain standards of hygiene.

Tom D

07-23-2002, 03:46 PM
People would get sick, their business would dry up, and most likely they would get sued. Ah, the beauty of the free market.

07-23-2002, 04:32 PM
You sound like one of them libertarians.

Tom D

07-23-2002, 05:04 PM
Sounds like a capitalist to me? Who needs more red tape? Deregulate and let these companies come in and operate under the prying eye of the marketplace.