PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice on bankroll swings and picking limits

play2win
02-06-2005, 05:42 PM
I have been playing poker since I was a kid with my family. Not until college did I start playing for real money. I had great success in "real life" play and was an overall winner. I have recently moved to a new city where I don't really know anybody and started to play online, just because it is so convenient.

I read books, forums, study my game after session and re-read some more. I have had some luck, and had to make lots adjustments to online style of play. I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering which I use to quickly pull odds and probabilites out with. I played on Pokerstars and found that I didn't like the limit games but rather the tournies. I now play on Party Poker. I found that 1/2 was too loose and I was tired of being chased down, so I moved to 2/4 and had much more success.

I have had some luck and recently some very poor luck. I have been up about $1000 at one point, but now find myself down a little over $1000. I have decided to walk away for a while and read some new books, just clear my mind. I don't feel like I have a problem, I don't gamble what I don't have, but I do take loosing tough when I wait for good hands and loose to incredible long shots over and over.

To clarify, I love to be called by junk.....it is what I hope for. But when I get called down with my pp K's by 34off and he stays to the river to catch his second pair when I put in as many bets as I can.....I get mad. When it happens over and over......I get real mad. I try not to let it affect my play, which I don't think it does, but I have a hard time getting up and leaving until my luck shifts. I do belive that poker is a game of luck (gambling), which over time better players will get the better of it.

I shifted to playing more strong draws and speculative hands and can't seem to hit water if I feel out of a boat.

My question(s) is are there really online players that show a profit? Is there something out there that I am missing that everyone else knows about? What kind of bankroll swings should I expect online, playing 2/4 limit? Is there a good book that can help my online game? I read some advice that people posted on here and it sounded sound so I hope someone can help me. Thanks.

-Sean

pyroponic
02-06-2005, 05:52 PM
There's plenty of players that show a profit (i'm guessing MANY of them are 2+2er's), the best advice I can give you is make sure your bankroll is sufficient (say $2,000 for $2/4). Also playing multiple tables is better for two reasons:

a) you get more hands and therefore more practice
b) you can play tighter than you normally would with just 1-2 tables

Personally I play 7 tables, and I think this allows me to keep a 16% VP$IP while always being in action. Normal swings for $2-4 if you're playing 4-tables i'd say around $100, while $200-$300 downswings making for a particularly bad session. If you went from being up $1000 to down $1000, maybe you should reevaulate your game.