PDA

View Full Version : One thing about Roids..

BeerMoney
02-06-2005, 04:17 PM
I read an article about roids in the NYT's magazine section of a Sunday Paper. It was an article written by a guy who had to take roids for some medical condition. He said one effect that they had on him was that they made him think quicker and sharper. I think this is an often overlooked aspect to the benefits of being on sauce. So, not only is a hitter stronger, but more importantly, he can react to a 90+ mph fastball. Bonds isn't kicking ass just because he's stronger.. I bet if you were to go and look at old films, I bet he's getting a better jump on the ball.

Beer.

fatmongo
02-06-2005, 04:26 PM
It ain't called Human Growth Hormone for nothing.

peachy
02-06-2005, 04:27 PM
Ive been on them off and on for a year now...and i guess mah reaction time is a little better...never really thought about it...but everyones "symptoms" r different when they take roids

...and ive never had anything more painful EVER go in mah body...i dread it...and i have a very high pain tolerence and ive had biopsies and surgerys...and seriously...nothing compared to this pain!!

BeerMoney
02-06-2005, 04:30 PM
Nice avatar.

wacki
02-06-2005, 04:46 PM
What kind of a girl goes on roids?

tdarko
02-06-2005, 04:53 PM
bonds has always had the uncanny ability to make the shortest and most compact swing to the ball. in big league camp in 1985 (a full season before his ML debut) bobby valentine said he would be the greatest home run hitter to ever play this game which was remarkable b/c at the time he was a leadoff hitter. roids didnt do anything for his ability to "catch" up to great fastballs cause he was turning around pitches in the mid to high nineties from the beginning. HGH gave him the strength to hit homeruns to left center and center field which is the biggest difference. if a ML hitter pulls a pitch and hits it flush its a homerun, no steriods needed. different story when going to center (deepest part of the park) and the opposite field gap, until roids he wasnt able to hit more than two or three HR's to that part of the park a year. you add 6 to center and 8 to left center all the sudden numbers jump.
technically bonds' swing is better than anyone's in the game, he will still succeed in this game while off steriods he just won't be putting up 73 hr's anytime soon.

peachy
02-06-2005, 04:56 PM
hahaha NOT to get bigger...last winter i had an ac shoulder seperation and a torn rotator cuff from snowboarding...so they inject it into my shoulder. I hate going to docs when i dont have to so after the 1st shot i quit goin to see if it would get better on its on. Unfortunately, I just babied it for awhile and recently i "restrained" it (although it was never healed) so I have had to go back b/c its worse than ever, so if this run of steroids and what not doesnt help Ill have to have surgery. hahaha its not like im pumping them to get big or for fun! Trust me, with how much they hurt going into the back of ur shoulder blade, i would not elect to do this of my own free will.

tripdad
02-06-2005, 05:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
HGH gave him the strength to hit homeruns to left center and center field which is the biggest difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

not true. when bonds was initially called up to the pirates from their AAA club, he made a remark to the manager that he shoulda been called up much sooner. the manager told him that they had been concerned about his ability to hit the ball hard to the opposite field...that big home runs to right did not impress him. he said further, that if he could consistently hit home runs to left and center....that would impress him.

that day during batting practice, barry hit no fewer than 8 consecutive balls for home runs to left field. the team quickly realized that he pulled the ball "too much" only because he was so selective at the plate...he simply laid off the outside pitches when the count was favorable to him.

further, what many do not understand about baseball, is that the pitcher supplies much of the power needed to hit a home run. a batter need only to be in the "power position" when making contact with the ball...and of course to make contact close enough to the sweet spot, for the ball to travel a long distance. it really has little to do with muscles, only that it takes a certain amount of strength to move the bat quickly enough into the hit zone after recognizing the pitch. players bulk up so that they can withstand the rigors of such a long season. it also makes them less likely to be injured over the course of a season, as well as lengthens their careers.

a young man i know personally was rated the 2nd best power hitting prospect in the nation as a high school senior behind only drew henson. he was 6'7" tall, but skinny as a rail. i personally saw him hit the ball about 10 feet to his "pull" field from dead center field...into a tree well above a "526'" sign. when he was drafted by the yankees, they immediately put him on strength and nutritional programs to bulk him up. they needed him to add 45lbs. not because of the necessity to add power, but rather so he could play a 162 game schedule.

cheers!

tdarko
02-06-2005, 05:42 PM
first of all i was commenting on how roids didnt make him react quicker and that from 2000 on he had more homeruns scattered to all fields than his previous years.
whats your name i play ball in the royals organizations and played in the BigXII, just wondering if maybe i have ran into you or something? probably not you might be a little older but if you played pro ball then maybe.

tdarko
02-06-2005, 05:44 PM
nevermind i obviously cant read, you said "a young man you knew," and not yourself so disregard my post it doesnt apply anymore.

eastbay
02-07-2005, 01:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It ain't called Human Growth Hormone for nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually steroids ain't called human growth hormone, period.

eastbay

eastbay
02-07-2005, 01:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
hahaha NOT to get bigger...last winter i had an ac shoulder seperation and a torn rotator cuff from snowboarding...so they inject it into my shoulder.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anti-inflammatory "steroids" are completely dissimilar to anabolic steroids, silly. Not in the same zip code.

eastbay

Freakin
02-07-2005, 01:33 AM
I totally thought this was gonna be about the other kind of roids, and wondered why someone who suffered from them would expose himself to the harsh world of OOT.... This post makes a lot more sense now.

Can anyone tell me exactly *how* roids work? From what I can remember, they effectively "puff" up your muscle with oxygen, allowing it to grow with much less resistance.

Freakin

peachy
02-07-2005, 01:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hahaha NOT to get bigger...last winter i had an ac shoulder seperation and a torn rotator cuff from snowboarding...so they inject it into my shoulder.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anti-inflammatory "steroids" are completely dissimilar to anabolic steroids, silly. Not in the same zip code.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

no babe...they arent anti-inflammatory ones (which r called Cortical i believe)...they r the ones athletes take b/c they want me to build up the strenght in that arm again, and this is the only way that they can do it without me feeling a ton of pain hehe there is no inflammation!! ahaha believe me i asked about them

Bill Murphy
02-07-2005, 03:51 AM
Get an Alizee avatar and I'll tell ya.

Freakin
02-07-2005, 03:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Get an Alizee avatar and I'll tell ya.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dammit! I'd have to wait until March 1st to do that....

Freakin

zephed56
02-07-2005, 08:28 AM
Ha ha, my avatar selection is far superior to yours. 6 days in and you've gotten [censored] for it twice!

Jack of Arcades
02-07-2005, 08:42 AM
One thing worth noting about Bonds' HR spike was that the HRs came a few weeks into the season, but the first few weeks he was walking like crazy - now, Bonds had already been one of the most patient hitters in the game, but he started to really walk like crazy the first month. *THEN* his homers jumped.

It seems as though he gained better pitch judgment. Now perhaps this came from enhanced reaction time and/or eyesight from taking HGH, from his intense workouts, or some combination of both, but it's probably not as simple as most people think. They think Steroids -> bigger dude -> hit the ball harder.

(of course, Bonds always crushed the ball, even when he was skinny as a rail in '92)

eastbay
02-08-2005, 01:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

no babe...they arent anti-inflammatory ones (which r called Cortical i believe)...they r the ones athletes take b/c they want me to build up the strenght in that arm again, and this is the only way that they can do it without me feeling a ton of pain hehe there is no inflammation!! ahaha believe me i asked about them

[/ QUOTE ]

You're either stupid or full of [censored] or your doctor is. First of all, assuming you're a woman, you would not be prescribed anabolic steroids for any reason, especially for muscle hypertrophy. Second of all, even if you're a man, anabolic steroids are not locally active, there's no reason to inject them into the injury site.

Plenty of athletes take anti-inflammatory steroids. That's what your doctor must have meant.

eastbay

sammysusar
02-08-2005, 01:30 PM
Bonds had an amzingly consistent career from 1992 to 1999. I guess if you project a slight decline from 2000 on he still would have hit 600 to 650 homers. even without roids bonds would definitely be one of the top 10 hitters of all time

peachy
02-08-2005, 01:33 PM
i asked if they were those and he said no and i found that odd...he said its a yr after the injury and anti inflammatory would do me no good...and i am a girl...just sayin what i was told /images/graemlins/frown.gif Not sayin its right...i dont know everything about every medicine! But when he said "its a year after the accident u dont need anti-inflammatories" it made some sense in my messed up mind...thanks for setting me straight if that is the case though...

They injected some stuff that hurt like there was no tomorrow is all i know to try and strengthen my muscles back up to where i can go through therapy