PDA

View Full Version : Fold AJo on turn fearing better kicker

TGoldman
02-06-2005, 03:55 PM
How weak was I playing? Button is tight and somewhat aggressive (17% VP$IP, 6.7 pre-flop raise %). CO is unknown.

After the 3-bet pre-flop, I feared Button had AK. I didn't like the CO in between us, but I wasn't too worred about his holding. I intended to simply call down and find out. On the turn, Button's raise confirmed my fear of AK and I folded. In retrospect, I wish I would have taken control of the hand on the flop by a check-raise, hoping to fold the CO and get it heads up. This would have also prevented the Button from taking control of the hand and ultimately muscling me out of the pot.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

Turn: (6.75 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero folds, CO calls.

River: (10.75 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB

TGoldman
02-06-2005, 04:00 PM
What I meant to say, is that on the flop I feared I was either way ahead or way behind, and that check-calling (and likely betting out on the river) was the best way to win the most when ahead and lose the least when behind.

Nate tha' Great
02-06-2005, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What I meant to say, is that on the flop I feared I was either way ahead or way behind, and that check-calling (and likely betting out on the river) was the best way to win the most when ahead and lose the least when behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

That rule applies more to heads-up pots. In a multiway pot, particularly one that is draw-friendly like this one, you need be willing to protect your hand sometimes, even if you won't always have the best of it.