PDA

View Full Version : Questionable river check against a tight raiser

shadow29
02-06-2005, 03:10 PM
Villain is LPP at 64%, 6%, 0.25

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP3 folds, CO calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (10.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks...

o0mr_bill0o
02-06-2005, 03:17 PM
you won't induce a bluff here, i don't think. so the best line may be bet, fold to a raise.

JackWilson
02-06-2005, 03:34 PM
Wow, it really seems like you're beat on the flop, purely because of his stats. You'd need a bit more info that just that but if you had a particularly good grip on this opponent I would check/fold the turn unimproved.

Call it weak, meh.

Entity
02-06-2005, 05:10 PM
Against a 6% PFR you're missing out by not 3-betting preflop. TT would be a call for me here, but JJ is a 3-bet.

On this flop I'm more likely to checkraise than to bet out, since you're ultimately trapping people on this board -- now this board isn't terribly scary, but I'd like to fold gutshots which will be out there. Anywho.

Against this guy, I think you have a value bet here, because he's got TT or possibly 99 quite often. Combine that with the fact that 65s is a very possible hand for you (and a passive player will fear that), and you can realize that he pretty much never raises a worse hand on the river, so you can bet/fold pretty easily.

A .25 postflop agg doesn't usually raise AK on this flop, especially with no flush draws, etc., and I don't see AA/KK slowing down yet; additionally, QQ raises your turn bet, so I can't see checking this river as being a good play. You earn no bets the occasional times you're ahead and lose one bet the times you are behind.