PDA

View Full Version : Bellagio 80-160 Hand #2, AQo on the button

steveyz
02-06-2005, 02:58 PM
So-so game with one very loose (not sure about aggressiveness) young hispanic looking guy as the main soft spot, and he's the BB in this hand.

Folded to LMP who open raises. He seems like a solid player so far.

I 3-bet from the button with AQo, suits unimportant.

BB thinks a bit and calls. LMP calls as well.

Flop is T75 rainbow. Checked to me, I bet, both call.

Turn is an 8, making two diamonds I believe. BB now bets out. LMP quickly folds. Hero???

Manzanita
02-06-2005, 07:22 PM
The pot is pretty big and the BB could be betting a draw. Why not raise the turn, planning on folding if the BB 3-bets?

On the river, just check behind without improvement.

-- Manzanita

Dave Mac
02-06-2005, 09:37 PM
that is my line too.
Dave

mike l.
02-06-2005, 09:55 PM
here's why raising the turn/folding to 3 bet/checking behind river is not the play in this particular case:

--the guy might have something like a T or smaller pair w/ a flush draw or straight draw and decide to 3 bet here out of some sense of value. this is not rare in an 80 game even for a weak spot. given the size of the pot you would rather just put one bet in with the chance of spiking a pair on the river. in other words, you want to see a river card here and avoid opening yourself up to a reraise that will keep you from seeing the last card. also ive seen too many 80 players make this 3 bet here with open-ended/four flush no pair and that would suck to get put to the test like that in this spot with no pair.

--the guy might have something like K5 little pair or 44 or something and he's decided to be brave and bet the turn hoping hero had AK but he will not bet the river when it bricks or comes K or J or something and you will be able to get to a showdown with AQ for just one bet. by the way this contradiction of being brave and then checking the river is contradictory to good players, but in a weird random loose spot i see it all the time. they dont know how to play postflop.

--the guy may have nothing and AQ may be good and limiting those two bbs here in a medium size pot and just calling the guy down looks like the play. the other close option is just folding and keeping a close eye on this guy with his stop and go action.

amulet
02-06-2005, 11:53 PM
the BB (i'll ignore his race if that is ok, not sure why it was relevant) may be weak, but is he capable of making a move? there are many weak players, who play poorly preflop, and play any pair to the river post flop. if he is that type i think you must fold, if he is capable of making a semi bluff, that is different. however, many weak players are str8 forward.