PDA

View Full Version : Calculating ROI

teddyFBI
02-06-2005, 02:06 PM
Newbie Q here (1st timer on the 1TT forum). I'm a solid 15/30 limit player just getting in to SNGs for the first time now...I read the SNG FAQ and did a proper search, by the way, figured you friendly souls could help me out anyway.

What's the proper way to calculate ROI?
For example, I've played in 15 SNGs in the past 2 days (yes, I know, far too few to draw any reasonable statistical conclusions). I've paid $360 in buy-ins, and $36 in entry fees, and won $620 total, and finished ITM 53% of the time...So is my ROI (620-396)/396 = 57%??
Also, what's a typical ITM % for a solid SNG player?

Thanks

microbet
02-06-2005, 02:18 PM
That is the correct way to calculate ROI.

Solid ROI's, based mostly on reading this forum, ranges from about 40% in the $11s, down to about say 13% in the $215s.

stupidsucker
02-06-2005, 02:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So is my ROI (620-396)/396 = 57%??

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes

[ QUOTE ]
Also, what's a typical ITM % for a solid SNG player?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the limit. Shoot for 40%ish ITM for your first 500 played. Once you get that many in, now you have a sort of general idea where you kinda stand.

A few tips of friendly advice(I woke up on the right side of the bed)The sharks on this board get edgy about questions that have been asked a million times before. Calculating roi is one of them /images/graemlins/smile.gif, but its natural and I too asked the question once.

This Link should help with most any of the other questions you might have. (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=844952&page=0&view=collap sed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1#844952)

We all recomend taking an hour if you really want to improve your game and use the search feature looking for good older posts. Be creative and think of things for the search feature to find for you.

Perhaps the best thing you can do is to look for when Hand histories are posted and look at what advice is given... Most of the advice here is always solid, and it becomes clear after a while who the main posters are you can trust. If you have any really hard hands of your own, then post a few and they normally get jumped on.

With SnGs the first thing is to learn the "basics" or the winning formula for your level, then work the edges smooth with more advanced play.

Have fun and welcome to 1-tables

stupidsucker
02-06-2005, 02:28 PM
Bah I was beaten by my own wind!!!

GauchoFish
02-06-2005, 02:31 PM
i'm new too...i think this post should probably be an auto reply to the first question of all newbies...lol...very informative, thanks for the intro...i shall spend TWO hours searching before posting a question

WD

stupidsucker
02-06-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What is a good ROI for SnGs

You need to play at least 200-300 at a given level to get a good read.

25% ok
25% - 35% good
35% - 40% very good
40% - 45% excellent
45% - 50% probably unsustainable
50%+ one of: unsustainable, your lying, you have hacked the poker room

[/ QUOTE ]

Some parts of the FAQ are outdated. This is an ever changing game. There has been recent discussion about what roi is really good etc... This listed is WRONG. If you are a beginner, any + roi is good to start. and you need a lot to really know. My roi changes as much as 20% in any given sample of 100 SnGs. Up to 10-15% in any 500 game sample. I play the $30s at party. You will find most people here play at party, and that the games and strats are different for each site.

GauchoFish
02-06-2005, 02:57 PM
why the 30's? waiting to move up? you like it better than the 50s? i'm at the 30's too and i murder them, but i'm assuming that the natural progression is the way i should go...UP....do you find these have a higher ROI? (I KNOW THIS HAS BEEN COVEVERED, JUST ASKING THIS ONE GUY THIS ONE TIME)

stupidsucker
02-06-2005, 03:16 PM
I play for a living so my bankroll is the most important factor in what limit I play.

I am confident I can beat the 50s, but I am also aware of the risks involved in playing out of BR limitations. My current "life goals" for $$$ are save 6k to move back to the bay. I was at the 50s once with the perfect bankroll for it, but my car broke down while I was 600 miles from home costing me just enough to force me back down to the 30s. (special thanks to 2+2 poster DanS for giving me a ride from the garage when I needed it)

I will be there again soon.

AtticusFinch
02-06-2005, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why the 30's? . . . do you find these have a higher ROI?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget that the chip stacks are smaller in the 30s, so they go faster. Your hourly rate may be roughly equivalent even with a similar ROI despite the lower buyin.