PDA

View Full Version : no-limit books...

djhoneybear
02-06-2005, 05:09 AM
I've been working on my no-limit game - both tournaments and low buy-in and am looking to get some more books. I already have the Harrington book and am looking for suggestions of books to get and others to avoid. I am a decent small stakes limit player (thanks to this forum and some books). How is the Sklansky book? What about Pot Limit and No-Limit Poker and Championship No Limit and Pot Limit Holdem? Any books that will hurt my play? When is Harrington vol. 2 coming out?

jakethebake
02-07-2005, 01:33 PM
What a great question! It has never been asked before!

Try the search function. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

johnnybeef
02-07-2005, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What a great question! It has never been asked before!

Try the search function. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

pancakes
02-07-2005, 04:15 PM
We're all glad that you have nothing better to do than berate people for posting an actual legitimate question in the appropriate thread

royaltrux
02-07-2005, 05:16 PM
No offense to Mason and you guys but we desperately need a sticky post about this at the top of the book forum because this question is asked on a daily basis.

MikeTexas
02-07-2005, 07:31 PM
To be honest, HOH is probably the best no limit publication that you'll find.

I have Pot Limit and No limit Poker by Reuben and Caffione (sp?) and it contains some nifty advice but it is not as thought provoking as HOH is. The strategic concepts in HOH are much better then anything else you'll find on the shelves IMO.

The Cloutier/McEvoy books are not that great, especially when compared to HOH.

You already own the best no limit strategy book thats ever been published.

jtnt1096
02-07-2005, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've been working on my no-limit game - both tournaments and low buy-in and am looking to get some more books. I already have the Harrington book and am looking for suggestions of books to get and others to avoid. I am a decent small stakes limit player (thanks to this forum and some books). How is the Sklansky book? What about Pot Limit and No-Limit Poker and Championship No Limit and Pot Limit Holdem? Any books that will hurt my play? When is Harrington vol. 2 coming out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is what I recommend to people who ask me:

TOURNEY PLAY
Harrington On Hold Em (Harrington)

CASH GAMES
Super System 2 (Brunson)
Pot-Limit and No-Limit Poker (Ciaffone)

SNOWBALL138
02-08-2005, 12:45 AM
How does the Ciaffone/Reuben book compare to HoH?

I picked up HoH a week ago, and even though I have only read half, it has really improved my game in a fundamental way.

I've read Championship no limit and pot limit, and super system, and I think both have their merits, but HoH is more comprehensive, and more analytical. The most important thing about this book is that it gives you powerful tools to make your own choices, and it has a good amount of practice hands in it.

Even though HoH is scewed for tourneyment play, the tools in the book have greatly improved my cash game play already.

Having said that, how does the ciaffone/reuben book compare? Do you have any criticisms of it? Do you think that it has specifically useful information for cash games?

Thanks