PDA

View Full Version : 50's weaker than 20's?

Skip Brutale
02-06-2005, 03:19 AM
I've moved up from the 20's to the 50's on party, and surprisingly the play has been MUCH worse at the 50's. Has anyone else who has recently played both noticed this?

I really don't understand why. I guess the steps are somehow responsible. Maybe I just live a weird existence and pick weird tables.

I mean the level of talent I'm seeing on the 50's is about equal to the 10's, if not worse.

MagnoliasFM
02-06-2005, 03:24 AM
Yeah, and also 10's have gotten a lot harder.

I think this is because all the good players from the higher levels went to steps, leaving the higher levels filled with fish, while the bottom level fish all went to steps, leaving the bottom levels filled with 10+1 and 20+2 grinders.

Solution? Well if you have the bankroll go to steps, otherwise, it's time to move up from 10's and 20's to 50's and 100's perhaps.

ilya
02-06-2005, 03:33 AM
No.

Skip Brutale
02-06-2005, 03:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for such a brillaint response. Posters like you make this the top forum.

Also, either update your profile, or stop pretending you play the 50's.

MagnoliasFM
02-06-2005, 03:38 AM
In long-term equilibrium, 11 < 22 < 33 < 55 etc. in terms of difficulty to beat. However, what if something happened like all of a sudden a lightning bolt struck all the good 55 players. All of a sudden for a short period of time, the 55 games will be incredibly fishy. Of course, things will eventually even out when the 22 and 33 good players move up and their shoes are filled by good 11 players who also move up. However, for that short period of time we might see a deviation from long-term equilibrium.

I'm not saying this is actually what happened, but maybe at a certain time period it is possible that there are significantly less good 55 players than there were before steps came out.

stupidsucker
02-06-2005, 03:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
CRIPPLE FIGHT!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

david050173
02-06-2005, 03:45 AM
If was I was playing 50s (basically any level) I would attempt convince people to move up to my level also. Those 5s are unbeatable. Come play up in the 215s they are so easy to beat. Giga is really overrated. Look through the forms and see how bad is step calls are /images/graemlins/grin.gif If you are going fishing, you should try and stock the pool

ilya
02-06-2005, 03:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for such a brillaint response.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are welcome.

Skip Brutale
02-06-2005, 04:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are welcome.

[/ QUOTE ]

This must be how you get so many posts. I've noticed that usually people with alot of posts, never post anything worthwhile. Just a bunch of drivel like they are addicted to making responses so someone will read what they type. It's like a child begging for attention.

ilya
02-06-2005, 04:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are welcome.

[/ QUOTE ]

This must be how you get so many posts. I've noticed that usually people with alot of posts, never post anything worthwhile. Just a bunch of drivel like they are addicted to making responses so someone will read what they type. It's like a child begging for attention.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo!

snowbank
02-06-2005, 04:09 AM
i wasn't joking. i think he has a myopic, naive, overly optimistic outlook on whatever. i like the guy and wish him well so i hope that whatever bad thing will happen will happen quickly so he can develop some sort of base structure. i'm not talking about a law degree or anything, and like i said i didn't even go to college. but i think you have to "just figure it out once it happens" at least once before you can expect to do that and succeed.

haha. thesaltcracka in a nutshell

snowbank
02-06-2005, 04:11 AM
I think this is because all the good players from the higher levels went to steps, leaving the higher levels filled with fish, while the bottom level fish all went to steps

I haven't played sit and goes in a while until now. What are steps? I've heard it discussed before, but haven't looked into it to find out what they were. Is it just on Party?

Irieguy
02-06-2005, 04:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In long-term equilibrium, 11 < 22 < 33 < 55 etc. in terms of difficulty to beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is an intelligent response.

[ QUOTE ]
However, for that short period of time we might see a deviation from long-term equilibrium.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not with 15,000 players playing SNGs every evening.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying this is actually what happened, but maybe at a certain time period it is possible that there are significantly less good 55 players than there were before steps came out.

[/ QUOTE ]

The steps are not affecting the $55 SNGs. The pool of players is too large. They MAY be affecting the number of sharks in the $219s, but I think that is a sketchy theory as well.

Irieguy

boondockst
02-06-2005, 04:32 AM
steps is....nevermind read for yourself

Steps (https://secure.partypoker.com/news/index.html#step)

Scuba Chuck
02-06-2005, 04:46 AM
I've moved up from the 20's to the 50's on party, and surprisingly the play has been MUCH worse at the 50's. Has anyone else who has recently played both noticed this?

Something to consider. Do you think you are on a *good* card cycle? Meaning, I go through droubts sometimes of bad, bad cards. Then I'll get AA, KK, AA three hands in a row. It's easy to think that one level is easy to beat, if you're in a *good* card cycle.

Personal observation. I normally play the $33s. I played two $55s yesterday. It was almost maniacal. Large raises would be called, and then a 3rd player would push, and then I'd see a 3 way allin with AJs, AKo, and 88. Oh, did I say it was level 1? Anyway, tight play got me down to 5 players, and a well executed blindstealing and bubble strategy got me ITM. I got 2nd in both tho, bleh.

If this is the way all the $55s are, then maybe ur right. But I seriously doubt it.

microbet
02-06-2005, 05:27 AM
I play the $11s and I don't know if the $55s are like this, but it would be really really hard for one person to tell whether they are getting harder or softer. There is just too much variety. I just played 5 tables and they could not have been more different from each other. Combine that with the variance of time of day and day of week and you better get a big big sample of data before you know anything.

I know people have been talking about this, but the people who have just run into harder tables may be the ones posting and people who haven't may have just not posted. (or maybe some higher buyin players have taken a break in the lower buyins and have been surprised that not everyone in the game is a guppy)

I guess I'm a grinder so maybe I wouldn't be pulled by the Steps, but it seems like the steps would pull either people from the $215s who just want to play a higher buyin, or people from the MTTs who are more into longer shots with higher payouts.

Skip Brutale
02-07-2005, 12:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Something to consider. Do you think you are on a *good* card cycle? Meaning, I go through droubts sometimes of bad, bad cards. Then I'll get AA, KK, AA three hands in a row. It's easy to think that one level is easy to beat, if you're in a *good* card cycle.

Personal observation. I normally play the $33s. I played two $55s yesterday. It was almost maniacal. Large raises would be called, and then a 3rd player would push, and then I'd see a 3 way allin with AJs, AKo, and 88. Oh, did I say it was level 1? Anyway, tight play got me down to 5 players, and a well executed blindstealing and bubble strategy got me ITM. I got 2nd in both tho, bleh.

If this is the way all the $55s are, then maybe ur right. But I seriously doubt it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been losing at the 20's and 50's recently, I'd say I am deffinately in a bad card cycle. My observations are deffinately not coming from getting AA over and over in the 50's, but seeing people raise all-in with A7 and get called by A4 durring 10/15 blind structure. I'm not really taking my play into account.