PDA

View Full Version : How's this fold?

MicK412
02-06-2005, 02:22 AM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO calls, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (7 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks, CO checks.

River: (7 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero folds, MP3 folds.

Final Pot: 10 BB

First orbit, normal bunch of loose fish on a normal Saturday night. Preflop, I didn't raise due to the number of people in the pot preflop, normal I would if it was heads up. I proceed to spike bottom set on a draw heavy board, so I bet out. Opponent raises as expected, so I wait for turn to checkraise. On the turn, opponent doesn't bet leaving me in a bind. River card sucks, I can't see how I'm ahead here, so I fold. Incorrect?

mantasm
02-06-2005, 02:28 AM
You're only getting 5:1 on the immediate call and it will be capped if both guys have a Q. Folding is probably best.

I like betting out on the flop so that mp3 will raise with all those draws out, but i would 3 bet when it comes back. Then lead the turn.

Harv72b
02-06-2005, 02:32 AM
The river fold is fine. You are not going to take this pot down 20% of the time, and you don't know what MP3 will do behind you.

However, you must 3-bet this flop. You are ahead at this point the vast majority of the time, and even when you're behind a made straight, you have 7 outs to the boat. Waiting to c/r the turn accomplishes nothing, first because of the huge number of scare cards which can come and ruin your plan, and secondly because the player who is likely drawing (CO) is stuck between you and the player likely to bet (MP3)...all you'll be doing is forcing him to call 1 BB twice, which he'll do.

You also need to lead that turn...you see here what a disaster giving the free card can be.

emonrad87
02-06-2005, 02:32 AM
Re-raise that flop and then lead the turn even if MP3 caps it.

Chairman Wood
02-06-2005, 02:34 AM
Can't blame you, your not closing the action and the pot is big but not incredibly big. IMO good fold. However, I think you should have check raised the flop.

emonrad87
02-06-2005, 02:45 AM
No, do not check-raise the flop. The preflop raiser is to your immediate left. You expect him to bet/raise on this flop. Betting out lets you have the raiser raise you and face the field with 2 bets cold. Thus, protecting your hand. Check-raising traps the field and does NOT protect your hand.

ErrantNight
02-06-2005, 03:00 AM
3-bet the flop and lead the turn.