PDA

View Full Version : Al Sharpton and PETA Join Forces to Fight KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken)

Dynasty
02-06-2005, 01:37 AM
For the full story, go to Kentucky Fried Cruelty (http://www.kentuckyfriedcruelty.com/sharpton.asp).

[ QUOTE ]
In the video, Sharpton outlines the abuses that chickens raised for KFC suffer and takes KFC to task. Sharpton says, “KFC is not black owned, but it sure knows to market heavily to African Americans … obviously hoping we won’t care about what they do the underdog, or in this case, the underchicken

[/ QUOTE ]

This is messed up on several levels.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
02-06-2005, 01:40 AM
While a agree that animals should be treated nicely and all....

PETA is a bunch of [censored] retards from the suburbs.

IggyWH
02-06-2005, 01:41 AM
I just love how he stereotypes his own people...

I bet if there was an acutal real study it would show that KFC does most of their business from white people and not black people. While the % of black people who eat at KFC might be more than white people, white people clearly outnumber black people.

I'll tell you what... I'm white and live with 2 black roommates, one from Philly and one from Houston. I eat a hellova lot more friend chicken than they do.

BusterStacks
02-06-2005, 01:44 AM
What's hillarious is that people fault KFC for the bad deeds of it's suppliers.

Nottom
02-06-2005, 01:56 AM
I don't care how much the chicken suppliers might "abuse" the chickens. I'm sure its nothing compared to what my dog would do to one if suddenly PETA had its way and all animals were freed and people went back to eating bean sprouts and dirt.

AngryCola
02-06-2005, 01:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure its nothing compared to what my dog would do to one

[/ QUOTE ]

You have no idea what you're talking about.

You should investigate this before you say you're so "sure" of something.
They do some extremely cruel things.

ilya
02-06-2005, 02:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
While a agree that animals should be treated nicely and all....

PETA is a bunch of [censored] retards from the suburbs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks...I never knew that I was a retard from the suburbs. You learn something new everyday!

On the whole, I give your putdown an A-. A little lacking in substance, but concisely vitriolic.

Nottom
02-06-2005, 02:00 AM
Would any of those things include taking bites out of a living animal?

Anyone who thinks people are meaner to chickens than a wild animal is retarded.

***By people I mean chicken farmers or people like that, obviously I can't account for what some punk teenager might do with a chicken if he got ahold of one ***

AngryCola
02-06-2005, 02:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha!

Well, you sir are not an informed adult.
I'm not that surprised though. Many people have no clue.

Do you think they kill the animal and THEN do bad things to it? Sorry, that's not the way it is.

ClaytonN
02-06-2005, 02:02 AM
The underchicken part made me laugh out loud

Nottom
02-06-2005, 02:03 AM
Please inform me with a link to information that has nothing to do with PETA.

BusterStacks
02-06-2005, 02:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you are dumber than I thought by quite a bit now.

ilya
02-06-2005, 02:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't care how much the chicken suppliers might "abuse" the chickens. I'm sure its nothing compared to what my dog would do to one if suddenly PETA had its way and all animals were freed and people went back to eating bean sprouts and dirt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, I bet your dog's just dying to sear off some chicken beaks or cage 'em up and leave them to [censored] on each other's heads. On second thought....no, I don't think most dogs are that perverse.

You have no idea how much willpower I need to exercise to keep my temper when I see ill-informed, callous comments like yours.

AngryCola
02-06-2005, 02:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Please inform me

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

Paluka
02-06-2005, 02:10 AM
I'm a vegetarian, but I can understand why people think PETA is idiotic. But they are over the top on purpose. They yell and scream a lot and look stupid, but it gets animal cruelty into the news. Every cause needs an extreme group to go out there and take a beating.

ilya
02-06-2005, 02:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If people are sufficiently superior to animals that we are justified in exploiting them in all sorts of cruel and unusual ways, then surely it's a little strange to judge our moral decisions by animal-world standards...no?

Nottom
02-06-2005, 02:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yup, I bet your dog's just dying to sear off some chicken beaks or cage 'em up and leave them to [censored] on each other's heads. On second thought....no, I don't think most dogs are that perverse.

You have no idea how much willpower I need to exercise to keep my temper when I see ill-informed, callous comments like yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel the same way about people who blindly accept a video produced by PETA as evidence of a widespread animal abuse.

Obviously there are individuals out there that can be extremely cruel (and unfortunately some of them apparently work with the animals), but I would still stand by my view that a typical chicken is going to suffer less now than if he were free to live his life in the wild.

ilya
02-06-2005, 02:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.hsus.org/farm_animals/factory_farms/

http://www.slate.com/id/2096213

Nottom
02-06-2005, 02:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Wow, you are dumber than I thought by quite a bit now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, you can get back to circle jerking with the other cool kids at the Alizee stalker convention now.

ilya
02-06-2005, 02:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel the same way about people who blindly accept a video produced by PETA as evidence of a widespread animal abuse.

Obviously there are individuals out there that can be extremely cruel (and unfortunately some of them apparently work with the animals), but I would still stand by my view that a typical chicken is going to suffer less now than if he were free to live his life in the wild.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the cruelty against chickens is the result of the factory farming systems, not of individual acts by farm workers. Chickens have no contact with people for much of their lifespan; nonetheless, they suffer plenty during that time. They live in huge, poorly ventilated warehouses that offer little/no access to natural light and fresh air. They live in cramped cages that are stacked on top of each other, so that the chickens in the higher cages [censored] and piss on the chickens below them. They are packed so tightly together that many go crazy and try to attack the others. This problem is big enough that the farm operators cut off the chickens' beaks (no anesthesia, of course) to prevent them from pecking each others' eyes out and what not. Etc etc...

ilya
02-06-2005, 02:39 AM
Yes, a lot of the stunts PETA pulls seem juvenile. Hell, a lot of them are juvenile. However...they are not idiots. They know exactly what they are doing. Their over-the-top style has made them the most successful animal rights organization in history. While more genteel outfits like the Humane Society have hemmed and hawed politely, PETA has, to give two examples, largely stopped the use of animal testing in cosmetics manufacturing, and forced McDonald's and BurgerKing to require more humane treatment of cattle from their suppliers.

Nottom
02-06-2005, 02:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
They live in huge, poorly ventilated warehouses that offer little/no access to natural light and fresh air. They live in cramped cages that are stacked on top of each other, so that the chickens in the higher cages [censored] and piss on the chickens below them. They are packed so tightly together that many go crazy and try to attack the others.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds a lot like half of the public schools I've been to.

ilya
02-06-2005, 02:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They live in huge, poorly ventilated warehouses that offer little/no access to natural light and fresh air. They live in cramped cages that are stacked on top of each other, so that the chickens in the higher cages [censored] and piss on the chickens below them. They are packed so tightly together that many go crazy and try to attack the others.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds a lot like half of the public schools I've been to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you wish even *that* on a helpless chicken? Or on the most powerful chicken chieftain, for that matter?

ilya
02-06-2005, 03:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also -- do you imagine Tyson etc... wouldn't have sued PETA for libel by now if PETA was making false claims?

wacki
02-06-2005, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is messed up on several levels.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dynasty, you are one of my favorite posters and I have the utmost respect for you. If you read this article: http://www.slate.com/id/2096213 I'm sure you can realize the amount of pain some of these animals go through. Keep in mind that these are not insects. They can feel pain and some of them are smarter than dogs. I still eat meat, and it is obvious that Peta and Sharpton are both jokes. But why you call boycotting a company that gets their meat from an incredibly cruel meat farm as "messed up"?

SmileyEH
02-06-2005, 05:38 PM
vegans are aliens.

-SmileyEH

mmbt0ne
02-06-2005, 05:40 PM
I think you are reading into the wrong part of the article. It seems to me like Dynasty is referring to Sharpton's quote about black people and fried chicken.

wacki
02-06-2005, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you are reading into the wrong part of the article. It seems to me like Dynasty is referring to Sharpton's quote about black people and fried chicken.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I guess his comment about being wrong on several levels is a bit over my head.

mmbt0ne
02-06-2005, 05:49 PM
Don't be an ass, I'm not criticizing you. Well, I guess I will now.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
KFC is not black owned

[/ QUOTE ]

Implying black people should only care about black-owned industries.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
but it sure knows to market heavily to African Americans

[/ QUOTE ]

Implying that KFC is a racist organization that seeks out black people because of their obvious affinity to fried chicken

And above all, he is feeding in to racial stereotypes here, and does so with total disregard to the good of 'his people' who he has made himself out to be a champion of.

wacki
02-06-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't be an ass, I'm not criticizing you. Well, I guess I will now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa, slow down dude. I wasn't being an ass. Where I come from admitting something is over your head is like calling yourself stupid. If I was being hard on anyone, I was being hard on myself. mmbt0ne I've got no beef with you and I actually like reading your posts as they are of high quality.

As far as Sharpton, ya he's an idiot and I just ignore most of his statements because they are all like that. I see your point though, I guess I'm surprised Dynasty picked this example when there are much better ones out there.

wacki
02-06-2005, 06:02 PM
Plus, Dynasty put this in OOT so I assumed this was about meat eaters and not politics. Not the best logic, I know.

mmbt0ne
02-06-2005, 06:03 PM
Sorry, I just got my set 2-outed, and I was a little pissy. I misread your post, so I'm glad it's cool.

wacki
02-06-2005, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, I just got my set 2-outed, and I was a little pissy. I misread your post, so I'm glad it's cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

When that happens, think "I had the best hand on the flop, and on the turn....." and smile because you know you are not the fish. It will help you from going on tilt.

Mars357
02-06-2005, 06:13 PM
"If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat." - H. Simpson

wacki
02-06-2005, 06:15 PM
Being horribly cruel and killing for food are two very different things.

Reef
02-06-2005, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just love how he stereotypes his own people...

[/ QUOTE ]

definetaly. He's a hater

ilya
02-06-2005, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Implying that KFC is a racist organization that seeks out black people because of their obvious affinity to fried chicken

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether or not KFC targets African-Americans because of a racist stereotype is open to question. What's not open to question is that it does target them. In fact, they are stepping up their efforts in this arena. Consider, for example, this recent job posting:

KFC is looking to hire someone who knows how to sell sell sell to African-Americans and Hispanics (http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/jobs/KY/Louisville/Marketing/J8V3CH52V)

wacki
02-06-2005, 06:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Knowledge, experience in African American &amp;/or Hispanic segment marketing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I didn't know Kentucky had that many blacks.

Cornell Fiji
02-06-2005, 06:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Whether or not KFC is a racist organization is open to question. What's not open to question is that their marketing division is stepping up its efforts to target, specifically, African-Americans and Hispanics. Consider, for example, this recent job posting:

KFC is looking to hire someone who knows how to sell sell sell to African-Americans and Hispanics (http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/jobs/KY/Louisville/Marketing/J8V3CH52V)

[/ QUOTE ]

And this is an example of why PETA fanatics end up looking like idiots. Ilya, the inference that you made here really makes you look like an idiot.

Have you ever taken a single business or marketing class, have you ever thought about basic economic theory? Yum! is a very well run company that has flourished since they broke off from PepsiCo. They are a huge company with thousands of outlets worldwide. If they were to not have a person in charge of marketing to minorities they would be leaving a TON of money on the table. I am confident that in most of their resturants KFC would be running at a loss if it weren't for sales to minorities. Many blacks like fried chicken, KFC sells cheep food, on the average minorities spend less money than caucasian Americans on food, and one of their chief competitors McDonalds recently came out with a HUGE marketing campaign selling themselves to minorities (I am pretty confident that this is the reason they decided to make a change, they were probably losing ground to McDonalds) for all of these reasons and many more it would be absolutely inane for Yum! to not be looking for a top flight marketing executive to focus on minorities. Your inference that this makes them racist is about as fair as the O'Riley Factor (sorry, I know political references are supposed to stay out of OOTia.)

I understand that you have an objective with your posts. You, like the other PETA nutjobs, are trying to villify KFC in an attempt to get them to change their purchasing practices so that they only buy from chicken farmers with more fair treatment standards. I agree wholeheartedly with your objective, I am a vegetarian for humanitarian reasons and it sucks that KFC is buying animals then get peed on more often than RKelly's new 16 year old girlfriend (here is a reference OOT should appreciate.) The proper way to get them to change this practice IS by putting economic pressure on them and by trying to make sure that the current animal protection legislation is stringent enough and that its rules are being followed. By trying to call KFC a racist organization you show that you are willing to say ANYTHING to achieve your objective, if you are willing to lie or make false inferences about their hiring practices then you are cutting into your credibility when it comes to issues that you care about.

I think that the reason that I felt obligated to post this is because when people find out that I don't eat meat for vegetarian reasons it is often assumed that I am a drain on mankind like the PETAfolk who will say anything and do anything to achieve their objectives. I am more principled, I believe in choice, and am glad that Americans have the right to choose to eat meat or not. I believe that animals shouldn't be mistreated but I also believe that the individual KFC franchisees have a right to make a living and not be dragged into a boycot by minorities who hear half-arsed infrences like the ones that you and Sharpton make.

Lastly, I anticipate a response saying that you said that KFC being a racist orgainization is open to question and therefore you weren't saying that they were indeed racist. The implication that Sharpton and you are making about Yum! being racist (not that anyone will listen to you but many follow Rev. Al) is not fair and is unsubstantiated. Stick to what is true and maybe you will get more respect. People like you who will do anything at the cost of your self rightousness are a drain on humanity.

-Steve

ilya
02-06-2005, 07:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Whether or not KFC is a racist organization is open to question. What's not open to question is that their marketing division is stepping up its efforts to target, specifically, African-Americans and Hispanics. Consider, for example, this recent job posting:

[/ QUOTE ]

And this is an example of why PETA fanatics end up looking like idiots. Ilya, the inference that you made here really makes you look like an idiot.

Have you ever taken a single business or marketing class, have you ever thought about basic economic theory? Yum! is a very well run company that has flourished since they broke off from PepsiCo. They are a huge company with thousands of outlets worldwide. If they were to not have a person in charge of marketing to minorities they would be leaving a TON of money on the table. Many blacks like fried chicken, KFC sells cheep food, many minorities are poor and one of their chief competitors McDonalds recently came out with a HUGE marketing campaign selling themselves to minorities (I am pretty confident that this is the reason they decided to make a change, they were probably losing ground to McDonalds) for all of these reasons and many more it would be absolutely inane for Yum! to not be looking for a top flight marketing executive to focus on minorities. Your inference that this makes them racist is about as fair as Fox News.

By the way, I'm a vegetarian out of humanitarian concerns and I still think that you are an idiot.

-Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your, err, kind words. I understand that, from a purely business perspective, increasing marketing to minorities may well be a wise decision for Yum -- for all I know, it may be necessary for the survival and continued prosperity of the company. And I was actually not trying to imply that KFC is a racist organization. In fact, I edited my post from the original version that you quote to make it clear that I was not trying to imply this.
That said, though...just because it's a great business decision, doesn't mean it's not evil.

edit:

I just saw the second half of your post, I guess you were still typing. On further reflection, I think you're right to say that I was implying that KFC is racist. I think that's true of both version of my post. And you are right, that is an unfair inference given this particular bit of evidence. I personally believe that there are tons of racists working at KFC (and at every other major corporation for that matter), and I am certain I am right, but as I don't have proof, I suppose I should refrain from implying what I feel should be clear to everyone. So yes, my bad.

In general, however, I have no problem with vilifying KFC. This is not because I want them to change their standards. It is because they sell meat, and I do not think anyone has the right to do this.