PDA

View Full Version : On my TiVo now

Ulysses
02-05-2005, 09:44 PM
New additions since the last time I posted in bold. Comments on the new movies appreciated.

Starsky & Hutch (Ben Stiller/Owen Wilson)
13 Going on 30
Spartan (Val Kilmer/William H Macy)
The Pianist
The Station Agent
Austin City Limits - The Pixies
The Last Waltz
Austin City Limits - Modest Mouse / Guided by Voices
Austin City Limits - Flaming Lips / Shins
Rabbit-Proof Fence
Amelie
Cold Mountain
My Life Without Me
Eyes Wide Shut
The Fog of War
In the Cut
Y Tu Mama Tambien
Spider
Seabiscuit

tbach24
02-05-2005, 09:47 PM
Butterfly. Awesome movie about La Guerra Civil (the civil war) in Spain. It's in Spanish, but with subtitles. I watched in spanish class this year. Wicked deep.

B Dids
02-05-2005, 09:50 PM
13 going on 30 looks horrible, but Charles Taylor from Salon.com, who's like the ultimate snob loved it. Had it on his 2004 top 10...

felson
02-05-2005, 10:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The plot was a little bizarre, but I really liked the dialogue and the movie overall. I'm a fan of any film by David Mamet.

EDIT: Starsky & Hutch. Okay, but not as funny as Zoolander or even Dodgeball.

13 Going on 30. Meh.

It's been said before, but The Fog of War is outstanding.

kipin
02-06-2005, 01:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The Pianist

[/ QUOTE ]

Great movie, the best of 2002 in my opinion.

mikeyvegas
02-06-2005, 02:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Starsky & Hutch is alright. I'm a big owen wilson fan and that was the only reason why I watched it. Snoop could have been featured more.

Spartan - Acutally, I would like a review on this movie. All the reviews I've read on this have been mixed.

Happy viewings...

Popinjay
02-06-2005, 02:59 AM
Seabiscuit is a good feel good movie, but not great by any means.

Ulysses
02-06-2005, 03:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Watched this tonight. So disappointing. Vaugh, Stiller, Wilson. I like all these guys. And a few friends loved this movie. I did not think it was very good at all.

I did, however, have a bottle of Wakatake Daiginjo Onikoroshi (Devil Killer) sake while watching it. The sake was awesome.

Thythe
02-06-2005, 03:32 AM
I agree with Felson on Spartan. Mamet is really awesome, and this movie is definitely worthwhile. Given your list here I'd rank this as #1 or #2 to watch battling only Seabiscuit for the #1 slot.

sfer
02-06-2005, 05:26 AM
Ditto the comments about Spartan and Fog of War, but I think I liked Spartan a little better than felson seemed to. Some specific lines are great and some of the scenes are much better than they deserve to be.

I haven't seen it but a friend claims that the Lips and Shins Austin City Limits is quite good and I would trust her judgement.

EDIT: For clarity.

tbach24
02-06-2005, 05:27 AM
Haven't seen Spartan but as far as documentaries go, Fog of War is the best I've seen.

felson
02-06-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ditto the comments about Spartan and Fog of War, but I think I liked Spartan a little better than felson seemed to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess my post was unclear. I liked Spartan very much.

emil3000
02-06-2005, 01:53 PM
station agent is a really nice odd little film. Main character is an antisocial small fellow, just a great character. He leaves town and lives in an old abandoned railway station and makes a couple of weird acquaintancies while recovering from depression. very interesting indeed.

Ulysses
02-06-2005, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
13 Going on 30

[/ QUOTE ]

Watched some of this and then quit. I don't understand how it got such good reviews, seemed horrible.

fnord_too
02-06-2005, 03:31 PM
I don't see how you can go wrong with Austin City Limits

Ulysses
02-06-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how you can go wrong with Austin City Limits

[/ QUOTE ]

The Pixies was great, basically very similar to their recent concert. Modest Mouse/GBV was OK. Flaming Lips/Shins was great.

sfer
02-06-2005, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess my post was unclear. I liked Spartan very much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotcha. Do you want to talk about it or do you want to shoot someone?

Joe826
02-06-2005, 05:49 PM
Watch The Station Agent next and tell me what you think.

mosta
02-06-2005, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Pianist

[/ QUOTE ]

if you skip to the last 15 minutes or so, where protag is hiding out in an abandonned building and is found by a German officer, you get a little bit of movie, with characters and meaningful interaction. the preceding hours consist entirely of cut-out caricatures shrilly walking through a morality play. only worth watching if you get into hissing and booing indignantly as zero-dimensional bad guys act zero-dimensionally.

ZeeJustin
02-06-2005, 08:00 PM
13 going on 30 is perfect... for your 12 year old neice.

Bill Murphy
02-06-2005, 08:06 PM
Spartan is awesome, Station Agent is very good, too.

Ulysses
02-07-2005, 05:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

The Station Agent

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. How underwhelming. This was an enjoyable little film, I guess. But every review I had read about this movie just raved about it being really great. I don't think it merited all that praise and doubt critics would have been so into it if it didn't star a dwarf.

WillMagic
02-07-2005, 05:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
New additions since the last time I posted in bold. Comments on the new movies appreciated.

13 Going on 30
The Pianist
The Station Agent
Austin City Limits - The Pixies
The Last Waltz
Austin City Limits - Modest Mouse / Guided by Voices
Austin City Limits - Flaming Lips / Shins
Rabbit-Proof Fence
Amelie
Cold Mountain
My Life Without Me
Eyes Wide Shut
The Fog of War
In the Cut
Y Tu Mama Tambien
Spider
Seabiscuit

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of the films I have seen:

Superb: The Pianist, The Fog of War, Y Tu Mama Tambien, Amelie, The Station Agent

Good: Seabiscuit, Starsky and Hutch

Out of the films I have heard things about but not seen

Superb things: Rabbit-Proof Fence

Good things: Spartan, Cold Mountain

Bad things: In the Cut, 13 Going on 30

And finally, I give you www.rottentomatoes.com (http://www.rottentomatoes.com) for further analysis.

Will