PDA

View Full Version : Tigers give Ordonez $75M over 5 years? Wtf?

sam h
02-05-2005, 09:02 PM
Dumbest contract of this offseason (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1985108)

nolanfan34
02-05-2005, 09:07 PM
I can honestly say my jaw dropped when I read your post. There's no question Scott Boras is some sort of magician. Unbelieveable.

lapoker17
02-05-2005, 09:10 PM
Rey? Yeah, that's a lot.

Ulysses
02-05-2005, 09:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can honestly say my jaw dropped when I read your post. There's no question Scott Boras is some sort of magician. Unbelieveable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read the post's title and not knowing much about baseball and who's worth what, my initial thought was "I bet Scott Boras is his agent."

istewart
02-05-2005, 09:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Rey? Yeah, that's a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Magglio...

tbach24
02-05-2005, 09:31 PM
That's bad, but not even close to the fact that Richie Sexson got signed at all.

MarkL444
02-05-2005, 09:35 PM
i like it /images/graemlins/smile.gif

nolanfan34
02-05-2005, 09:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's bad, but not even close to the fact that Richie Sexson got signed at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does that relate? Sexson at least worked out for the team, had a physical, etc, etc. Magglio from everything I've read has not had a workout for anyone, and the medical reports on his knee has been sketchy. Of course not everything will be picked up by the media, so maybe he did a private workout for the Tigers, but giving him that much money for that many years is insane.

Remember, he has a degenerative osteoporosis-like knee condition. There are like no comparables to that. Sexson separated his shoulder, which of course could happen again, but others have come back successfully from it, like Jeter.

tbach24
02-05-2005, 09:45 PM
Yeah but Sexson sucked even before he hurt his shoulder. Sean Casey is so much better. And of course Big Pappi is the best of all.

tbach24
02-05-2005, 09:56 PM
I retract my previous statement about Sexson sucking. He just sucks in my fantasy baseball league. Guy strikes out a lot but kinda makes up for it with a decent OBP. He's still worse than Sean Casey. But then again, Sean Casey is nasty.

Ponks
02-05-2005, 10:17 PM
Damn I didn't want Magglio to go from my Sox, but it was gonna happen sooner or later.

Ponks

Michael Davis
02-05-2005, 10:19 PM
Being a White Sox fan really sucks. I have almost lost my interest in baseball. What really upsets me is that they frequently try to make moves to get the team into the playoffs, and every decision they make is awful.

-Michael

MrFeelNothin
02-05-2005, 10:27 PM
Its tough getting pummeled routinely by the twinkies eh?

JOHAN FOR MVP in 05.

Ponks
02-05-2005, 10:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Being a White Sox fan really sucks. I have almost lost my interest in baseball. What really upsets me is that they frequently try to make moves to get the team into the playoffs, and every decision they make is awful.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds right on.

Ponks

cab4656
02-06-2005, 12:51 AM
The Tigers can void that contract anytime after next season if his past injuries cause him to spend more than 25 days on the DL. The contract is also somewhat backloaded - Detroit's only on the hook for $12 mil this season.

I think it was a great agreement for both Magglio and the Tigers.

O-E-O Magglio

By the way, this means the Tigers are probably gonna move Rondell White or Bobby Higginson. Let the bidding begin...

davelin
02-06-2005, 01:42 AM
Sad is that the Sox offered him something very similar during the regular season.

Mike Gallo
02-06-2005, 02:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen brother.

sam h
02-06-2005, 02:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it was a great agreement for both Magglio and the Tigers.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would have been a bad contract even if Ordonez was perfectly healthy.

I know it is voidable, but there is a huge risk that you are going to just get a guy playing at 80% for a few years, gritting through the pain to stay on the field.

Plus, the contract makes little sense given where the Tigers are right now. No way that adding Ordonez makes them a legitimate contender, so what's the point?

mikeyvegas
02-06-2005, 02:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This would have been a bad contract even if Ordonez was perfectly healthy.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is right on point. I am a huge Tigers fan and I hate this signing. F-ing tigers...

cab4656
02-06-2005, 04:18 AM
So there is a little risk. I still say the Tigers don't have much to lose. If Maggs only plays at 80% for a couple years before the contract is voided, that's fine. We don't lose any long tern flexibility since he's off the payroll. And Ordonez at 80% is still tons better than Bobby Higginson at 100%. This signing is a big improvement for the team.

Yeah, this one signing doesn't make them a contender. But why not improve the team, sell some tickets, and boost fan morale while you're rebuilding? The Tigers' owner suddenly has some money to spend due to that NHL lockout thing (he also owns the Red Wings).

My favorite team just added an awesome player without too much risk. I can't complain. I mean, it's not like the Juan Gonzalez deal that almost went down a few years go.

Chairman Wood
02-06-2005, 05:03 AM
The Gonzales trade, the Weaver trade, my GOD when will the mismanagement end? Being from the area, I been a Tigers fan for a long time and I really starting to wonder why? Ever since I can remember (I was born before 84 but still very young) they have given me nothing to be excited about. All it has done is made me cynical about sports. Come to think about it why on earth am I a Lions fan too? Maybe I just enjoy the pain...

tbach24
02-06-2005, 05:06 AM
If you want to know pain think about being a Boston sports fan from '88-'00. I had my 14th birthday before seeing a Boston sports team win a championship. I've been spoiled lately (the C's got Tony Allen).

lapoker17
02-06-2005, 05:31 AM
joke

tbach24
02-06-2005, 05:34 AM
HAHAHAHA LOL

Homer
02-06-2005, 08:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you want to know pain think about being a Boston sports fan from '88-'00. I had my 14th birthday before seeing a Boston sports team win a championship. I've been spoiled lately (the C's got Tony Allen).

[/ QUOTE ]

Poor baby. I have had to wait until today...

hoyaboy1
02-06-2005, 08:51 AM
Same here Homer - 14th birthday? Stick it.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!!