PDA

View Full Version : How much to bet?

KenProspero
02-05-2005, 02:36 PM
First hand of a tourney. Everyone starts with 1500T chips.

Blinds are 25-50

Hero sits in MP1, Dealt 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Pre-flop, Hero limps, and there are 6 in the pot all told.

Flop: 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif A /images/graemlins/heart.gif8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Two checks to hero -- hero bets??

I assume I have to bet hard to get the draws out -- but how much is right?

(actual hand, hero bets 450, CO calls, Button raises all-in, Hero and CO call. CO shows A4 (no hearts), Button shows AK (no hearts) Hero triples up)

Laughingboy
02-05-2005, 03:25 PM
Betting 450 into a 300 chip pot is a little high, although it worked out well here, as both of the callers probably figured you were trying to steal the pot. Not a bad deception to run now and then. Also, a good case can be made for an overbet with that many people in the pot, as a caller or two can end up giving the last person the right odds to draw if you bet half the pot.

In general, though, 1/2 to 3/4 of the pot is enough to make it seriously wrong to call with most drawing hands.

TheAmp
02-05-2005, 03:33 PM
Hi,
things I try to consider when I flop a set with a PP (regarding bet size):
1. flop danger - especially flush and straight draws. obviously, the more draws are out ,the higher the bet.
it is important to give deaw hand bad implied odds, not just pot odds.
2. number of players on the flop - the higher the number the higher the bet. this is because of reason 1 above (different draws put you in danger), and also because your increased chances of traping 2 pair , TPTK or a draw.
3. does the flop contain A or K - if so you can bet higher even without many draws cos you are likely to get more action from top pair hands.
4. type of players you are up against - loose players should be punished here.

in that specific hand I would bet big :2-3 times the pot.

Irieguy
02-05-2005, 03:51 PM
The Amp is on the right track here, and I would agree with him more than laughing boy.

The most important point is the one he makes with regard to the Ace being out. Your set is going to get paid if there is an ace or a flush draw out there. If there's not, you won't make much anyways... so there's no sense in trying to lure anyone in.

I would make a nice healthy bet on the flop and put the rest in on the turn unless the flush card came and the action was such that I could justify not getting my chips in the middle.

I like your bet amount, and I don't mind Amp's suggestion for overbetting it quite a bit more.

Irieguy

AtticusFinch
02-05-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The most important point is the one he makes with regard to the Ace being out. Your set is going to get paid if there is an ace or a flush draw out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

A great point that I had never considered. Thanks!