PDA

View Full Version : Pineappels and cocoanuts (groceries continued)

judgesmails
02-05-2005, 11:12 AM
Some of you may remember, though I doubt it, that I go to the grocery store about 5 times per week. I stop there on my daily walks and pick up enough food for myself for a day or two.

One of my favorite purchases has been a 2 lb container of freshly cut pineapple chunks and strawberry halfs for $5.99.

Recently the strawberries have been below par and the quality of the pineapple not high enough to compensate for the poor quality of the strawberries.

As a result, I have conteplated purchasing an entire, raw, pineapple and cutting it up myself. It looks to be a very daughnting task.

Have any of you cut up a pineapple? Do I need any special tools?

Since the cocoanuts are adjacent to the pineapples in the produce section, it got me to thinking, do any of you know anyone who actually buys whole cocoanuts and pineapples at the grocery store?

I have drank cocoanut milk while on vacation, but have never bothered to purchase a cocoanut. It appears too difficult to conquer.

Please advise.

Evan
02-05-2005, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Have any of you cut up a pineapple? Do I need any special tools?

[/ QUOTE ]
How special would you consider a knife to be?

beerbandit
02-05-2005, 11:21 AM
i dont think that you eat the center of the pineapple -- its tough

ive bought coconuts before, for soem reason and its seems that it is scored and easier to break open and if you want to drink the milk --- you have to punch out the "holes"

how to cut up a pineapple (http://luauking.com/cutpine.html)

cheers

fatmongo
02-05-2005, 12:01 PM
I'd say take a shot at the coconut. In the Bahamas, the guys selling coconut mixed drinks just took a whole coconut and whacked it hard with the handle-end of a butter knife to crack it, then flipped the knife and pried a small section of coconut off. Downside was once they did this, for some reason they dumped the coconut milk on the beach in order to fill the fruit with booze. I wish I saw that coming, I would've drank the milk for sure. And when I say I wish I saw it coming, I meant the second and third time it happened as well. Damn.
Anyway, when the drink is gone, its fun to chew on the coconut fruit. Kind of tedious, but worth it.

As for pineapple, my mother has been known to occasionally buy whole ones and cut them up. The center is tough, but no tougher that the coconut I say. It is good as well.