PDA

View Full Version : Take a stand or fold to ITM?

Hawkeye27
02-05-2005, 10:20 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB (t3023)
Hero (t1280)
UTG (t2332)
MP (t890)
Button (t475)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t300</font>, <font color="#666666">Folded to me.

Final Pot: t450

realbad101
02-05-2005, 10:26 AM
Here's where a read on UTG helps. But I think u miss the other option.

Hero calls getting 2-1 and sees the flop which hits him at exactly the same rate. I don't like a push here since it is an UTG raise. Definately can't see folding. You have &gt; than 10BB so no need to push yet.

splashpot
02-05-2005, 10:30 AM
push.

You can't guarantee that you can fold into the money. In fact, it's pretty unlikely that you will be able to. You aren't very far in front of MP. If MP wins one pot, he could very well pull in front of you. This is the stage of the tourny where you need to start beeing ultra aggressive.

1C5
02-05-2005, 11:09 AM
Tough call here. I don;t think I would fold but not sure if I would push or call to see the flop...would like to hear what others say about this.

Hawkeye27
02-05-2005, 12:31 PM
and felt really weak doing so. Out of position I didnt want to call and have to fold the best hand on the flop when I dont hit. If I push here usually I'll get called. ($20 tourney). I have to respect an UTG raise as a "stronger than a steal" hand. Putting him on A/10 and up and 77 and up it feels like a coin flip and I felt like I had a better than 50% chance of making the $$ if I dont play this hand.

Is my thinking flawed? Is this hand just to strong to lay down?

splashpot
02-05-2005, 12:49 PM
Curious, did you get in the money?

AA suited
02-05-2005, 12:55 PM
in any which case, folding preflop is not an option w/AQ.

aggressive: if you push, it's a coin flip if he has pocket pair. you're a dog if he has ak. you're ahead otherwise.

safe: if you call, and check/fold if the flop doesn't help, you still have 9BB. you are not in any danger of blinding out.

i would push. there's the added fold equity.

Hawkeye27
02-05-2005, 01:03 PM
The other middle stack doubled up, and I lost a race to finish 4th, meh.

swarm
02-06-2005, 09:01 AM
Got to push this, you are going to have to double up at some point to get in the money... If you get outdrawn you get outdrawn and move on but more times than not by pushing here you get in the money...

willie24
02-06-2005, 03:49 PM
this is a legitimate close decision.

i think pushing is often right against strong-aggressive tourney players. folding is definitely right against some of the more tight-passive players

calling is rough. i would only call against a particular type of player: one who is somewhat loose and somewhat passive.

this is a judgement call that you must make based on your read.

11t
02-06-2005, 04:07 PM
I think this is an easy push, 3rd place is not what you should be aiming for.

I dislike calling simply because you are out of position and can easily be bluffed off of the pot if you miss it and check and he bets.

I would rather take this race here for a big stack then a later race to squeek into the money.

RobGW
02-06-2005, 04:59 PM
You are thinking about the right things. Sometimes it is better to fold and keep stealing blinds. That would depend on how easy it is to steal. One other consideration is that if you are folding to raises people like me will raise UTG with any A to steal your blinds. If stealing is easy then you might want to just call here and try to spike a pair on the flop. Even if you miss, you can always fall back to stealing. Does anyone try a stop and go here?

splashpot
02-06-2005, 08:34 PM
The problem with calling is, what if an ace falls? What then? Do you bet out? How much? You only have 9BB left to work with. Do you instantly fold to a raise?