PDA

View Full Version : Aeron Basic or Fully-Adjustable?

jokerthief
02-05-2005, 07:35 AM
My back is killing me, so I am going to get an Aeron. I can't decide between the three models and would like some advice. I live in the middle of no-where, so trying one out isn't an option. I've done enough research to this point to know that most people prefer the Aeron.

Option #1 Basic model. If this is good enough to eliminate back pain then I would prefer this.

Option #2 Fully-Adjustable with Lumbar Pillow. The adjustable arms and tilt limiter don't seem too useful to me but the lumbar pillow and forward tilt seem real nice. I tend to lean forward when I play, so the forward tilt looks like it might be essential. My question: Is it worth the extra $220 over the basic model price?

Option #3 Fully-Adjustable with Posturefit. The only difference here is the lumbar pillow is replaced with the posturefit. The posturefit supports the sacral area of the back instead of the lumbar area. Herman Miller states that support of the sacral area of the spine is more important than support to the lumbar. My question: Has anyone tried both and if so did you notice a significant difference (say, $50 difference)?

So there are the three options for the Aeron. I can't decide, please help!!

Thanx

Gramps
02-05-2005, 05:46 PM
I used to play in a very cushy/slouchy chair and developed some pretty bad back pain within a couple of months. Bought the Aeron Basic back in May, play about 40 hours/week in it and haven't had even a hint of a problem since.

Definitely worth the investment, don't think you need more than the basic model (though maybe some other people have had experiences where upgrading was worth it).

I got the floor model discount too, so saved about $150 or so on it.

ethan
02-05-2005, 06:13 PM
As I understand it, with #1 you can't adjust the tilt of the seat? That's a feature you don't want to go without. Tilting the seat forward will help you sit up straight and get rid of slumping.

I've had back problems on-and-off for the last 8-10 years, and a good chair's helped. More than anything else though, I'd suggest you join a gym and get a good trainer. It only took a few months of working out for me to go from constant pain to absolutely none.

Luv2DriveTT
02-06-2005, 09:53 PM
Your #1 mistake is not considering the table. That is 50% of the equation. Yes Aeron's rock (get #2 or #3... listen to Herman Miller's advice), but it won't help that much unless you practice good ergonomic posture.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

jokerthief
02-06-2005, 10:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your #1 mistake is not considering the table. That is 50% of the equation.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean by this? This has never entered my mind.

Jedster
02-07-2005, 01:53 PM
I have had an aeron chair for 4 years, it's still going strong. I have the lumbar model but have considered getting the ohter back support option. You also get a choice of different sizes, i forget what they are, but I htink i have the medium. I would definitely get either the lumbar or the upgrade off the lumbar -- I have a bad back and use the lumbar. If the basic model doesn't have tilt, no question get the upgrade -- you need your chair to tilt, otherwise you will when playing online.

Rick Nebiolo
02-07-2005, 02:26 PM
I'd get one of the fully adjustables (mine had posturefit and got it when it first came out - I believe I could still get a lumbar support and uninstall posterfit). Anyway, once you adjust it correctly you won't feel the sensation of sitting in a chair - that's when you know you have got it right /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Well worth it IMO.

~ Rick

Luv2DriveTT
02-07-2005, 10:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your #1 mistake is not considering the table. That is 50% of the equation.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean by this? This has never entered my mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sugest reading Small Stakes Ergonomics by Herman Miller (David Sklansky and Mason Malmoth were not available this time around).

A chair will help you have good posture, but the height of the table is equally as important. For example my table is too high compared to the hight of my Aeron.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif