PDA

View Full Version : Mixed Game Question

Chris Daddy Cool
02-05-2005, 06:39 AM
The last time I was at the Bellagio, the "Big Game" being spread was a $3,000/$6,000 mixed game consisting of hold'em, stud, stud8, omaha, and omaha8 and it had me thinking of this scenerio.

Now suppose your skill level in each game can be broken down into a rating from 1 to 5, with 5 being the best, but you can only have a 3 averge, meaning you're only allowed 15 points between the 5 games and assume your opponents have a similiar overall 3 rating. Also you are required to have at least a one in each game and a maximum of five in each game.

1. Which system would be the best?

a) a five in two games, a one in two games, and a three in the other.

or

b) a three in each game.

2. What do you think is the most profitable system? Which games would get what points?

3. In order, which games is it more important to be good at?

Michael Davis
02-05-2005, 08:07 AM
I think system A would clearly be better, and you would want to have a five in the games that have the least amount of luck involved. I defer to others for which games those are.

-Michael

bobbyi
02-05-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
a) a five in two games, a one in two games, and a three in the other.

[/ QUOTE ]
This brings up a question I've had for a while about mixed games, having never played in one. Is there any thing that prevents people from simply refusing to play their worst game? In particular, if I knew that I was going to lose at Stud/8 but could do well at the rest of the games, could't I just get up from the table whenever stud/8 came up in the rotation and ask to be dealt out? On the one hand, it seems that if people can only play their best games, it undermines the whole concept of the mixed game. On the other hand, I don't really see how they can stop me from getting up whenever stud/8 is being dealt. What's the rule on this? Thanks.

PokrLikeItsProse
02-05-2005, 08:25 PM
I seem to recall hearing of a player in high limit mixed games who wasn't good at razz and so played extremely tight, folding almost every time unless he had three to a wheel to start off. I forget who it was, but he was good enough in his good games that he could afford to give up money on one of the games in rotation to go after his likely profit in his strong games.

I think there is some sort of an honor system involved, as the high limit players all know each other. If you pull that crap, everyone will refuse to play with you and you will be effectively blackballed from the big games. You should at least be willing to pay your antes and bring-ins and blinds if you are sitting out.

defyodds
02-07-2005, 12:21 AM
I think everyone has his or her favorite game or two, this is the reason for mixed games.If we are begining a game and have disagreement on which game to play and strike a deal on playing a certain mix. after having made that agreement,if a player only decides to play his favorite game, the other players might consider that player as taking unfair advantage of an agreement.

JRegs
02-07-2005, 12:48 AM
I don't know what the antes are for the Stud Hi/ Stud8 games, but how about ones in the stud games, and then fives for PLO and limit Hold'em, and a three in limit O/8?

bugstud
02-07-2005, 01:08 AM
limit: 5 in stud, 5 in HE, 3 stud8, 1 in the omahas
NL/PL switch stud8 and plo

JMO