PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Hands For Evaluating

IggyWH
02-05-2005, 05:53 AM
Hello all,

After a very bad month of January, I decided to re-evaluate my play. I had some family problems and playing poker as a release wasn't exactly the smartest thing to do. I ended up shooting a good bit of my bankroll to hell and I got into the habbit of bad play.

To get out of that funk, I decided to try and completely drop my old game and start anew. I knew I was going to be slow at work this week so I went out and bought SSHE. After reading it and reviewing a couple sections over again, I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on the material. The only real way to find out though is to hit the tables.

I played a short session that just ended that lasted about 45 minutes. I wanted to play longer but my table broke up. I want to post the hands I played and see if my play was correct on these hands.

Now although these hands were played on .5/1 on Paradise, I'm posting them here because I'm more worried about the overall play than where it was played. I know that play will be different on .5/1 than say 2/4 but I'm just trying to apply what I've read so I can jump back on the 2/4 tables. I figured if I failed bad on my first time out though, I'd much rather lose on an el cheapo table.

I'm only listing the hands I played as I believe my preflop play is just fine but it's my post-flop play is what has been killing me. Here goes :

================================================== ====

1)Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, Button calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.75 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB

-------------------------------------------

2)Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, MP2 calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds.

Final Pot: 5.50 BB

------------------------------------------------

3)Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: (4 BB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds.

Final Pot: 5 BB

---------------------------------------------------

4)Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP1 folds, SB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (7 BB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 9 BB

-------------------------------------------------

5)Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (5.75 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 7.75 BB

6)Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds.

Final Pot: 3.25 BB

If you need to know my reason of thinking on a certain hand, please ask and I'll tell you. Also if you want to know the results I can give them too.

There were more than just those 6 hands that I played but the others seem to me as obvious folding situations so I didn't bother with them.

Thanks to anyone that takes the time to read this whole thing!

mantasm
02-05-2005, 06:21 AM
Hand 1: You need around 5 outs to call the turn. You may have them.

Hand 4: After MP1 calls your flop bet on a drawless board and sb crs i would fold. What are you beating?

Hand 5: Not many worse hands would call on the river here. You may as well check and give a flush draw or straight draw a chance to bluff.

DeeJ
02-05-2005, 11:12 AM
Hand 1 : yucky AK missed. I'd fold to the turn raise because even if you hit you A or K on the river you may get raised (if button has 2-pair, trips or a straight already).

Hand 2 : ok

Hand 3 : ok. Sht happens.

Hand 4 : I'm not a fan of the flop 3-bet. You have no kicker and could be way behind to a 2 ....

Hand 5 : check-call turn, if not, the river. People often play aces and kings /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hand 6 : Fine. You don't want random overcards to come and beat you.

IggyWH
02-05-2005, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the reply :

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1 : yucky AK missed. I'd fold to the turn raise because even if you hit you A or K on the river you may get raised (if button has 2-pair, trips or a straight already).

[/ QUOTE ]

What a hand history doesn't show is time spent. I think I used my whole time trying to figure out whether to call that raise or not. I really only thought that this guy either had T-something or he had 4 spades. He did raise preflop so I didn't really consider a straight so I figured I was playing for around 6 outs. Calling that raise was 9-to-1 and I figured to have 6.7-to-1 odds of hitting on the river. Maybe I was giving myself too many outs because if he hit a Ten on the turn and he had raised preflop, he could be playing AT or KT and wipeout some more of my outs.

Once I went ahead and called that turb bet raise though, should I have just given the crying call on the river? I really wonder if he even had anything.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 4 : I'm not a fan of the flop 3-bet. You have no kicker and could be way behind to a 2 ....

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, looking back it was pretty dumb of me with a no kicker. I "thought" that his action after would tell me exactly what he had, which it did because he just called and then checked the turn to me. Since the turn was a high kicker, I figured we were playing a split so kept being aggressive trying to get him to fold.

Also, the pot was pretty small at that point so being aggressive trying to take a pot probably wasn't worth the risk. What should I have done different though? Should I have just called? If I did that he probably would have been aggressive the rest of the hand making me either fold or call him down.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 5 : check-call turn, if not, the river. People often play aces and kings /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't believe that guy wasn't playing an A or K but I felt like I had to try to protect my Queens. Since he showed no aggression in the had at any point at all, I figured flush draw and didn't want to give him a free card. This isn't normally how I would play this hand. I would have bet the flop and then checked the turn against multiple opponents but heads up to a guy showing me no aggression, I thought I had the best hand (which I did).

Thanks for your time DeeJ.

IggyWH
02-05-2005, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the reply :

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1: You need around 5 outs to call the turn. You may have them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I counted 6 but now looking back that probably was too many. When I did call that raise though, should I have given a crying call on the river?

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 4: After MP1 calls your flop bet on a drawless board and sb crs i would fold. What are you beating?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, as I said to DeeJ, looking back it was a stupid play. It wasn't a big pot so it wasn't worth the risk at that point.

I was counting against him having a 2 though and figured he had a K with a crap kicker since if he had a strong kicker, it was probably a preflop raise hand. I thought I could get him to fold but I couldn't. He ended up having K8 and we split the pot.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 5: Not many worse hands would call on the river here. You may as well check and give a flush draw or straight draw a chance to bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said to DeeJ, heads up I had to protect my Queens and I expected this guy if he had anything to show some aggression at some point, so when he didn't, I figured he was playing a flush draw. Since he appeared to miss, I figured to value bet the river. If I checked to him and he bet, I wasn't going to raise him, I would have just called with 2 high overcards on the board. If I checked to him and he checked, I missed a betting change. It turned out he was just calling me down with pocket 5's... this is one of those hands with the result you say to yourself "WTF was he thinking?"

Thanks for your time mantasm!

winky51
02-05-2005, 01:29 PM
#1 You 3 betting before the flop representing a pair or AK and then him raising you on the turn tells me your beat. He might call you down with AK or raise on the flop but not raise it on the turn. Does not make him or save him money. I would fold. Unless you know this player well.

#2 Good play thats how I would do it.

#3 I would not even call with this hand. Expecting a multiway pot KJ does not play well. KJs does. I probably would have check raised on the flop as probably some one will bet their K or J in LP if no one bet or their draw. Then bet the turn.

#4 Check raise here as there are only 3 people in the pot and the last position will bet it here. If he 3 bets it or raises the turn you know your K is probably no good and he has a better kicker. Otherwise bet all the way down.

#5 Simple enough.

#6 Correct to raise and isolate. You don't want the SB and BB calling here.