PDA

View Full Version : Fever Pitch remake

Ulysses
02-05-2005, 04:27 AM
A contemporary romantic comedy about a high school teacher who meets and falls in love with a successful businesswoman. Although their lives are vastly different, the relationship seems perfect until the baseball season begins and she has to compete with his first true love: the Boston Red Sox

Blech.

Russ McGinley
02-05-2005, 04:28 AM
Sounds like a Freddie Prinze Jr. Oscar-winner.

Lazymeatball
02-05-2005, 04:34 AM
Was this the movie that inserted Drew Barrymore and Jimmy Falon into what otherwise would have been an even better Red Sox playoff run?

daveymck
02-05-2005, 07:05 AM
Baseball ffs, I actually have the original on dvd and also the book, this sucks as much as the High Fidelity film relocating to the US.

Was only made a few years ago as well no idea why they want to remake it already.

smudgex68
02-05-2005, 11:08 AM
This is an example of irony - am I right. Like the US versions of Ab Fab and The Office

spamuell
02-05-2005, 11:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
this sucks as much as the High Fidelity film relocating to the US.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't remember the film very well, but did that really matter?

Reading Hornby is so much fun, I really enjoy how he writes, I don't think any of the films live up to that anyway. I hope they don't make a film of How to Be Good, the plot was ridiculous, it was only worth reading because it was written so well and a film would be pretty disappointing.

daveymck
02-05-2005, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't remember the film very well, but did that really matter?

Reading Hornby is so much fun, I really enjoy how he writes, I don't think any of the films live up to that anyway. I hope they don't make a film of How to Be Good, the plot was ridiculous, it was only worth reading because it was written so well and a film would be pretty disappointing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it mattters, it takes away the britishness of the thing which is the undercurrent of his writings.

Ulysses
02-05-2005, 04:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't exactly put my finger on why, but I think this (Fever Pitch) change sucks a lot more than that (High Fidelity) change.

La Brujita
02-05-2005, 04:58 PM
Great book, not a terrible first movie, now they go and f it up. That book is about soccer, it can't just get changed to baseball.

Ulysses
02-05-2005, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Great book, not a terrible first movie, now they go and f it up. That book is about soccer, it can't just get changed to baseball.

[/ QUOTE ]

The devil's advocate argument to that, of course, is that it's not about football, it's about a man's passion to a game and a club and the affect that has on his relationships and life. And that can apply to any sport. That sounds good, I guess. But for some reason it just feels so wrong.

Davey touched on it, I think, when he talked about the Britishness of Hornby's writing. That really is, I think, an integral part of the whole thing. It's why no matter how much they try, when they to make a movie like Four Weddings and a Funeral in the US, it never really works out just right.

PS: I wasn't a big fan of Fever Pitch the movie (my least fave of the three).

La Brujita
02-05-2005, 05:28 PM
You both describe it well, the britishness of the book. What I remember strongly from the book, from years ago, is that soccer fills certain voids in his life and takes on an incredible importance.

I just feel like soccer's relation to its fans throughout the world has a different importance than sports here do. That is a controversial statement perhaps but it is that feeling of hopefullness and hopelessness that they won't be able to capture.

I don't think the movie did a perfect job from what I remember, I think they turned it more into a love story. I do like Colin Firth.

The Dude
02-05-2005, 07:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the Britishness of Hornby's writing.

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't know Rogers Hornsby was British. And since when did he write books? And why would he have written about soccer instead of baseball in the first place? I don't get it.

Ulysses
02-05-2005, 08:05 PM
Shut up.

partygirluk
02-05-2005, 08:20 PM
I don't understand why Americans have to do this so often. The book is not even about football. If they want to make a film about baseball for commercial reasons, then write a new script.

So Hornby is quintessentially British. Wtp? If you like this, fine. If you don't fine too. But why take something that it is very popular, and very British, and just alter it so it is American and hope it will work?

There have been 3 American remakes of Fawlty Towers. They all sucked. The original is a classic. The USA has taken popular comedies such as Coupling and Men Behaving Badly, and rewritten them because they were too British. Both remakes flopped. The Office is the best comedy for at least 10 years. It is nigh on perfect. It is very dry, very British. It works very well. However, TV execs. think that Americans won't get it, so they are remaking it. It will suck, I guarantee. We had a programme entitled "Cracker". It was about an obese (Robbie Coltrane), alcoholic, chain smoking, gambling addict, serial cheater on his wife, who swore every other word. That was part of the appeal of the dark, gritty show which was about twisted minds and how to get into them. It was critically acclaimed over here, but rather than buying the original, it was remade for the U.S. Now the hero was a young, handsome, fit, non smokin, non drinking, non gambling nice guy. Guess what? The show flopped!

Stop doing it! Release British films and T.V for people who like it. There are 300 million people in the U.S.A and plenty of them are very smart and open minded. It also contains plenty of people inventive enough to write an original script with an American flavour.

Graham
02-05-2005, 09:44 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
I don't understand why Americans have to do this so often. The book is not even about football. If they want to make a film about baseball for commercial reasons, then write a new script.

So Hornby is quintessentially British. Wtp? If you like this, fine. If you don't fine too. But why take something that it is very popular, and very British, and just alter it so it is American and hope it will work?

There have been 3 American remakes of Fawlty Towers. They all sucked. The original is a classic. The USA has taken popular comedies such as Coupling and Men Behaving Badly, and rewritten them because they were too British. Both remakes flopped. The Office is the best comedy for at least 10 years. It is nigh on perfect. It is very dry, very British. It works very well. However, TV execs. think that Americans won't get it, so they are remaking it. It will suck, I guarantee. We had a programme entitled "Cracker". It was about an obese (Robbie Coltrane), alcoholic, chain smoking, gambling addict, serial cheater on his wife, who swore every other word. That was part of the appeal of the dark, gritty show which was about twisted minds and how to get into them. It was critically acclaimed over here, but rather than buying the original, it was remade for the U.S. Now the hero was a young, handsome, fit, non smokin, non drinking, non gambling nice guy. Guess what? The show flopped!

Stop doing it! Release British films and T.V for people who like it. There are 300 million people in the U.S.A and plenty of them are very smart and open minded. It also contains plenty of people inventive enough to write an original script with an American flavour.

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot to mention Absolutely Fabulous. Didn't they remake it in the states, but remove most of the smoking, drinking, drug references, crassness and swearing? I never saw it but always wondered what would be left.

Edit: I think US audiences - as a whole - don't generally tolerate watching stuff set in other/unfamiliar surroundings. So everything gets remade and set in an apartment in New York with the generic characters, or something like that. However, I've met loads of americans who rave about fawlty towers or father ted or some such show; it's just they don't make up the mass of tv audiences.

The rest of the world happily watches stuff set elsewhere (mainly US) cos that's where the huge bulk of TV and cinema comes from, but the other way round doesn't happen so readily.

partygirluk
02-05-2005, 10:06 PM
Yeah they remade Ab Fab but I hate that show.

The Dude
02-05-2005, 10:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Shut up.

[/ QUOTE ]
What? I'm not a good kid? I don't get more words than that?