PDA

View Full Version : all in on a draw

start_to_finish
02-05-2005, 02:24 AM
5/10 NL
I took a seat and had been playing in this game for about 15 minutes. There is a fairly loose raiser is on my right. I see some dead money in the pot in late position, but the loose raiser on my right makes it 40 to go. I already had the thought about raising with 10 h 8 h before this guy tried to steal my steal play. I hadn't been playing a lot of pots, so I decide to test this guy - I make it 140 (that was my dead money out there not this guys ha). It's folded around to the frequent preflop raiser - who calls the extra 100. Not a terribly bad situation. I have position on this guy and have a decent hand to hit a big flop with, or if I miss I will bet the pot on the flop and maybe pick up the pot that way.

The flop is 9 J 3 with one heart. He checks. I didn't want to mess around with this flop. I had an open end str8 draw with a backdoor flush draw. "I'm all in". I didn't want this guy taking a hand like 10 10 or A 9 and raising me back thinking he could make me lay down. Then if I reraise he is pot commited. I'll let him guess / decide I did all I could do at this point. I'm ready for a drink of coffee right about that time. I don't think he's going to run a bluff...I watch him sweat - I don't care if he folds or calls.

Any thoughts on a play like this with AA, JJ, etc.? What about this hand? Oh, for stack sizes on this hand, I started with 1200, and the villain had around 3k.
Thanks

nongice626
02-05-2005, 02:35 AM
i like it.

AnyutaDva
02-05-2005, 03:21 AM
I don't like the allin bet. I guess he doesn't really have much of a handle on you, so what is he going to read you for with your big overbet? I'd guess that he reads you as being weak, with your reraise preflop, then on a relatively benign flop you make a bet that looks like you don't want him to call. With an overpair are you really going to bet $1000 into a $300 pot? Maybe you are, but unless he's seen you do that before, or it was that type of game, a lot of players are going to read you for AK/AQ that missed. If he is such an agressive player why not check behind on the flop then if he bets a blank on the turn, make the semi bluff then? If he bets $300 you can stick in a raise that is going to deny him odds to call with a draw, and that possibly makes your hand look more like a big pair. I just don't like a bet that looks weak when there are a lot of hands that you don't want to be called by, IE 10-10, Q-10, 9-10, J-10, etc.

beta1607
02-05-2005, 03:24 AM
It really depends on how likely you think a fold is and exactly how much dead money is in the pot. As for your other question, I think that this play is inherently better with your drawing hand than with an overpair since if you are infact called on the flop you have many more outs to improve.

start_to_finish
02-05-2005, 03:32 AM
The concept that you mention about lots of players being more likely to call a big all in such as this seems to provide merit to raising all in with a hand such as AA or KK, or even the nuts as well on a flop like this.

freemoney
02-05-2005, 05:09 AM
i think this is ok to do every once in awhile but its just a very unsophisticated play, you can get away with it because if you do get called you will have enough outs that you still give yourself a relatively decent chance to win the pot, i just dont like losing 1200 to a loose guy with 10 high, even though your bet seems to clearly not want a call its a real tough call for him to make with nearly any hand. a hand such as 10-10 or j-10 cant call here IMO

start_to_finish
02-05-2005, 06:14 PM
The power play of All-in on the flop worked. Villain folded and I took the 300.00 or so pot uncontested.
I occasionally will play the nuts or an overpair like this as well. A couple of posters thought my big bet may be interpreted as weakness. Since that may be true, why not use it from time to time with a huge made hand as well. Lots of possibilities.
Thanks for the replies.