PDA

View Full Version : wsop satelite questions-pokerstars

07-16-2002, 02:48 PM
I qualified for the $1000 buyin a couple of days ago.It took me 6 tries at $65 a pop.My question is at what point do you stop?For example I have tried to qualify twice for the first event -$100 limit holdem.I have missed both times and am thinking of just buying in.My problem comes with the buyins in which are a little steeper.Ive now tried 3 times to get into the potlimit omaha -$99 total and still not in.The buyin for that event is $265.Should my attitude be that if I can't qualify thru a satelite then I really am not good enough to play the event?Or if I try a few more times at what point to I call it quits.It would be real shitty to spend $300 in satelites and not get in and then have to pay the entry.Should my attitude be that once I spend the entry amount and then not get in -just pass on playing that event.?I guess I was real lucky in that I qualified for the headsup and the $500 limit holdem tourneys on my first try.But the other events and not qualfiying so far are really bothering me in that I am not sure when to stop.Any thoughts are welcomed.

07-16-2002, 03:14 PM
You're doing great with that record in the sats. You must be playing well and have gotten lucky on two sats to win on the first go-around.

If this was a live game and you were up 30BB for the night, would you complain too much about never filling a flush?

I played a bunch of Stud 8/B sats, one of my better games, and was never close to winning a seat. That's the way the ball bounces.

Three tries is not much of a sample to decide if you should give up. What if you gave up after three tries in the $1k NLH sats?

Good Luck.

MS Sunshine

07-16-2002, 03:35 PM
I guess I should rephrase my question.I was thinking more on the lines that take the omaha $265 buyin.Should you play only $265 worth of satelites to get in and or when do you stop?Like you say you could be running bad but at $33 a satelite you can roughly play 8 satelites to try to get in (totaling around $265).After 8 tries should you consider yourself just not good enough/running bad or whatever is it time to call it quits?Or are you better off playing 4 satelites and if you still can't get in -just pay the entry fee.It would be a shame to play 8 satelites and can't get in and then also pay the entry to get in as well.Im not sure its worth it.

07-16-2002, 03:57 PM
If you lose a bunch of sats then the poker gods are telling you that this is not your game. I don't 3-8 tries are a big enough sample to decide if this is true.

Other than that, what happens on previous tries have nothing to do with the sat you are about to play. There is no magic number of sats to play then buyin. IMO

MS Sunshine

07-16-2002, 05:17 PM
I think the real issue is- what is your goal?

If your goal is to make money- and you believe that you have +EV in these satellites- id play as many as i could.

Of course- if your goal is to simply play in the big tourney- then you need to examine your budget.

If you have 1130 in your budget- and your goal is to play in the main event- id play two satellites @ $65 a pop-- and then buy-in.

I think it just all depends on what your purpose is. But if you have +EV in a satellite- and money is not an issue- you're simply supposed to play as many as you possibly can- without a stop #. And of course remember- as MS says- these can be VERY streaky.

07-16-2002, 05:22 PM
Sorry- $1000 wouldnt be enough to buy in to the main event. Make your budget $1180 in that example- and maybe it might work- /images/smile.gif.