PDA

View Full Version : Sitting out @ Party.. need new rules

Uglyowl
02-04-2005, 09:34 PM
Oh boy does this piss me off... if I wanted to play short handed game I would. People who sit out more than 10 minutes should get their bankroll confiscated and distributed.

There needs to be a rule like two orbits sitting out and you are booted.

sfwusc
02-04-2005, 09:41 PM
have to agree there. Two orbits is a good rule.

All fish are free to sit out until they come back. No need to add a shark in place of a fish.

SWUSC

Thythe
02-04-2005, 09:43 PM
I think it should be 1 orbit max. If you're going to be away for longer than that you should leave the table.

theredwave
02-05-2005, 12:31 AM
How about we start emailing Party then? I mean this is costing them money as there are less people contributing to the rake.

StellarWind
02-05-2005, 02:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I mean this is costing them money as there are less people contributing to the rake.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not costing them money. If there are 50000 people actually playing poker and 5000 people sitting out at some moment, they will not make any extra money by booting the 5000 people out of their chairs. The 50000 people might concentrate into a smaller number of tables and have a more enjoyable experience, but the rake will be about the same.

Losing a pleasant table and having to start the table selection process all over again will cause many players to quit instead of taking a 15-minute break. That will cost Party money.

StellarWind
02-05-2005, 02:28 AM
The Paradise rule of three missed big blinds and you are out is a good one. This is equivalent to two orbits of break time assuming you don't miss any hands you paid for.

Of course when a player posts blinds it is no one else's business if he takes the rest of that orbit off.

Bellagibro
02-05-2005, 02:59 AM
I agree that 3 orbits is a good rule. Short handed tables go by faster. You shouldn't get punished for washing your hands after taking a leak now, should you?

Brian
02-05-2005, 03:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You shouldn't get punished for washing your hands after taking a leak now, should you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course not. But, the problem is that about 80% of the people who sit out never come back. They're just rude, ignorant, and could care less about disrupting the games. They're too lazy to close Party after they've busted, or the drunkards fall asleep at the computer. I know it's blunt, but this is my #1 pet peeve and I just don't see any reason for it.

During the year and a half that I have been playing at Party, I have used the "sit out" feature intentionally probably 20 times. And, of those 20 times, only once or twice did I not return to my games within an orbit. I'm not a speed-pisser, and I wash my hands thoroughly. There just aren't many things that happen during a poker session that take specifically over 1 orbit and under 3 orbits to do.

It seems that the longer a person sits out, the less likely they are to come back. I would venture a guess that 90% or more of those who sit out and DO actually return, return in less than an orbit. I just don't see any good reason why someone should be allowed to sit out for so long, when all it does is ruin perfectly good games. And, in most cases, the person sitting out could easily get back on to another table when he gets back.

The primary limit that I play at on Party is 10/20 ring. From the hours of around 5 A.M. central to 3 P.M. central, there are between 1-4 games going at that limit. Needless to say, it is hard enough as it is to keep games going. People randomly sitting out with no intention of ever returning make things even harder, as many people are unwilling to play short-handed and in turn they also sit out with no intention of returning until the game fills back up. So, you can see why I take quite an issue with the sit-out feature. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have filed several complaints with Party, but I doubt they will ever change things. It's hard enough to get them to fix regular known bugs with their software. But it doesn't hurt for anyone who reads this thread to send them an e-mail if you, too, despise the sit-out feature. Thanks,

-Brian

HesseJam
02-05-2005, 10:28 AM
I need two orbits (one cigarette).