PDA

View Full Version : You called 120 with 22? Terrible!

Bigwig
02-04-2005, 08:08 PM
PokerStars $30+3, Blinds 10/20, about the sixth hand of the tourney.

UTG folds
UTG+1 folds
UTG+2 (t1480) raises to 120
MP1 folds
MP2 folds
CO folds
Hero, Button, (t1750) 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif calls 120
SB (t1520) calls 110
BB folds

Flop: 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB bets 1410 and is all-in
UTG+2 calls and is all-in
Hero calls

Turn: 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

River Q /images/graemlins/club.gif

Results in white:
<font color="white">SB has 8d7d (pair of 7's)
UTG+2 has JcJs (pair of J's)
Hero has 2h2d (three of a kind, 2's)
I collect the pot. </font>

UTG+2: You call 120 with 22 Aguirre? You're terrible. I'll be looking for you.

What y'all think about UTG+2?

Bigwig
02-04-2005, 09:05 PM
So, this kosher?

Or is everyone sick of threads about sets of ducks?

Insty
02-04-2005, 10:46 PM
22 is hardly going to win unimproved, and it hardly improves.
You're getting 2:1 for something that only hits the flop 7.5:1

This doesn't seem like a good bet to me.
Unless you think you can outplay them, but this is often tricky at low buyins when people will hold onto anything.

Awful
02-04-2005, 11:08 PM
The "Hold on to Anything" is key. His call is at 2:1 strictly math-wise. At the same time, he has great implied odds on the set that make it possibly worthwile. If he spikes the 2, he's not winning the pot as it stood preflop, he's quite possibly taking someone's stack.

microbet
02-04-2005, 11:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What y'all think about UTG+2?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he's as loose as my college girlfriend at a rave for making the call postflop.

Preflop I think you were a bit drunk on your big stack.

I think SB stands for suicide bomber.

david050173
02-05-2005, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
22 is hardly going to win unimproved, and it hardly improves.
You're getting 2:1 for something that only hits the flop 7.5:1

This doesn't seem like a good bet to me.
Unless you think you can outplay them, but this is often tricky at low buyins when people will hold onto anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are ignoring the implied odds which are what make small pocket pairs playable. I don't know about the flop play (would he have called if he just had 2 overs (ak for example)). If you just got the pot when you hit your set, this isn't a good play to be making.

lorinda
02-05-2005, 12:07 AM
Was this a 6-handed tourney?

Anyway, I don't think the call is that bad at Stars.
With 1500 chips, you have 200 or so you can afford to fiddle around with. If you choose to use it on 22, I don't think it's wrong.

I prefer it in a 6-handed to a full game as the times you catch are going to be almost auto-cashes.

Lori

CardSharpCook
02-05-2005, 12:26 AM
I love it when the table flames me for making a play like this.

I was sitting in a NL100 MTT at party, I have like 4500 (huge lead early on) blinds are 25/50, I think. I call PF with T8s (one other caller) SB raises to 200. SB has 1500 chips. I flop the str8. He goes all in, I call.

"you called 200 with THAT!!!!"
"well, my pot odds included all of your chips."

To elaborate, I put him on a big overpair (he had Kings), I knew he would be unable to get away from the hand - I anticipated an all in on the flop or turn. T8 is easy to get away from if I flop a pair. By calling 150 more, I had access to the 475 in the pot already and 1300 in his stack. That's 1800 chips vs. a 150 call on a hand that is hit or miss. I like calling those big raises sometimes with crap like that. Helps your table image and your odds often include every chip in the opponents stack.

Good play

CSC

silversurfer
02-05-2005, 12:54 AM
Unless you are doing this as an advertising ploy, they deride you because it *is* a terrible play.

When playing for set value, you get the implied odds, at least(with your stack size, I'd certainly call with a pair here). What are you playing for here? TP weak kicker? Miracle straight by the river?

Your play is pure gamble.

Gigabet
02-05-2005, 06:30 AM
I make this call 100% of the time in the situation you described, it isn't so much what your hand is worth, it is that you have position on the guy the whole way, most of the time it won't matter if you improve or not, you still may be able to take the pot down. People are way to concerned about the actual value of your hand, you could probably call with 72 here and still make money off of the hand, long term.

bigredlemon
02-05-2005, 08:24 AM
Maybe at stars, but probably not at Party.

1. you have position
2. your implied odds are probably not good enough. He's not going to put more than half his stack even with top pair and you can convince him you're on a draw or same pair weaker kicker. Sets or two pairs arent so rare as to allow anyone throw their stack away everytime they hit a TPTK or overpair

realbad101
02-05-2005, 10:20 AM
I don't like it. It's the 6th hand of the tournament. You are a dog to the range of hands that would raise here, in the absence of reads, from typical opposition (AA-TT, AK,AQ maybe a couple of other hands). At best you are 55% favorite but with a hand that's tough to play post flop. I'm an advocate of taking the easy money in the early rounds but I don't think this is one of those situations. Save your chips for when you have a better read on your opponents, better hand or both.

My 2 cents...

Bigwig
02-06-2005, 05:56 AM
I'm kind of surprised at the responses.

This was more of a feeler thread than anything.

Easy call preflop.

Easy call postflop.

Seriously.