PDA

View Full Version : I might go to Chipotle tonight

eric5148
02-04-2005, 06:41 PM
I'm considering going to Chipotle tonight. I've never been there, but I've heard it's good. I'm looking for suggestions on what to get. I remember there was a couple threads about this place, but I'm too lazy to search for them.

I don't really like pork or beef. Spicy is good. Discuss.

P.S. - No smartass apple juice comments, please. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

namknils
02-04-2005, 06:42 PM
I've had Chipotle, I think it sucks.

AngryCola
02-04-2005, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Quickly, someone get Patrick in here!

shant
02-04-2005, 06:44 PM
Go eat real Mexican food. You won't be dissapointed.

eric5148
02-04-2005, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because...

Shajen
02-04-2005, 06:47 PM
click on eat and then check the menu, yo. It's pretty good. (http://www.chipotle.com)

billyjex
02-04-2005, 06:52 PM
Chipotle sucks bro.

If you must go to americanized mexican food, go to Baja Fresh. It's pretty good.

namknils
02-04-2005, 06:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because...

[/ QUOTE ]

Because...it's bad. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif I thought it was very bland, I had been hearing "it's soo good, it's soo good" and I got it and it was nothing. I've tried their Chicken Tacos, Burrito, and Chicken Fajita Burrito. My wife likes it.

Phoenix1010
02-04-2005, 06:59 PM
I absolutley love Chipotle. Had it today for lunch. Delicious. I get the vegetarian burritos, most of my friends get the chicken burritos. Do it.

astroglide
02-04-2005, 07:05 PM
make sure to avoid all of the dairy products, they will kill you. burrito bars shouldn't use white rice either.

Edge34
02-04-2005, 07:16 PM
Steak Fajita Burrito
Cheese
Sour Cream
Red Chile Tomatillo (hot) Salsa
Lettuce
Corn if that's your thing
(Steak, rice, peppers, onions standard of course)

This is the nuts, as far as Chipotle burritos are concerned.

DeezNuts
02-04-2005, 07:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Chipotle sucks bro.

If you must go to americanized mexican food, go to Baja Fresh. It's pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Baja Fresh and all those Cali-style Mexican food suck. Chipotle is not bad for Mexican fast food. Get either chicken or barbacoa soft tacos or burrito. The hot salsa is quite spicy and the corn salsa is good.

DN

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-04-2005, 07:20 PM
Definitely gotta get the steak. The rest is up to you, but the steak is definitely the way to go. And get a burrito - don't dick around with the tacos.

shant
02-04-2005, 07:22 PM
That's exactly why Chipotle sucks. White rice in a burrito?

I guess if you gotta go, get tacos.

Edge34
02-04-2005, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I guess if you gotta go, get tacos.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't go to Chipotle for tacos. Its fast food, cut it a little slack. I like the lime-cilantro-whatever rice...maybe not authentic, but when you don't really worry about it, its pretty good.

(plus, its damn near impossible to get good real mexican, that is for those of us who live in the frozen tundra of Minnesota... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-04-2005, 07:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Quickly, someone get Patrick in here!

[/ QUOTE ]
Meh. I'm not feeling like being real combative about Chipotle today. Maybe next week some time.

DangerGoodson
02-04-2005, 07:29 PM
A Chipotle burrito plus Corona w/ lime is the Nuts. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Steak is the best play.
Ask for all 4 salsas.
fajita burrtios > reg. burritos.

shant
02-04-2005, 08:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(plus, its damn near impossible to get good real mexican, that is for those of us who live in the frozen tundra of Minnesota... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

You make a valid point. I'm speaking from a Southern Cali viewpoint, so I'm spoiled by the amount of taquerias to choose from.

mike l.
02-04-2005, 08:20 PM
the hot corn salsa is yummy, the brown beans are better than the black, ask for extra guacamole, the steak is really good i had that the other night. it's just really really good as far as fast food goes, about as good as youll find. i wish they had one closer to here.

Ogre
02-04-2005, 08:28 PM
Older thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1447440&page=&view=&s b=5&o=)

I like chicken over steak because it isn't so chewy but they are both good.

Is there some kind of Valintines day promotion 2 for 1 deal going on there now?

GuyOnTilt
02-04-2005, 08:41 PM

I've never been to Chipotle, but the fact that they use white rice in their burritos seems really lame to me. When I needed a quick burrito fix, it was always Taco Del Mar up in Seattle. They don't have those down here, so now it's Alberto's for me.

GoT

jakethebake
02-04-2005, 08:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I absolutley love Chipotle. Delicious. I get the vegetarian burritos...

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHAHAHA...This is sooo wrong.

DeezNuts
02-05-2005, 07:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
it's just really really good as far as fast food goes, about as good as youll find.

[/ QUOTE ]

complete agreement. i must say eating pink's while sober was a disappointment, though. a shame since i live about 5 blocks away from it now. we must find a place that we agree on and chill some time.

DN

Popinjay
02-05-2005, 07:39 AM
Taco Del Mar > Chipotle

Go to TDM if there's one in your area

Ray Zee
02-05-2005, 10:34 AM
ive never seen one but arent they owned by mcdonalds. how can that be any good. just fast food made from the cheapest processed food they can buy.
look around i bet there are some real mexican food places around that make food from scratch.

mike l.
02-05-2005, 02:41 PM
"ive never seen one but arent they owned by mcdonalds."

given the quality i would be shocked if that were true. i cant wont and dont eat the filth that is mcdon, bk, jack in teh crak, carls, and many others so my standards are pretty high and chipotle is good.

billyjex
02-05-2005, 02:50 PM
Yes, they are owned by Mcdonalds.

I believe whoever started Chipotle sold it to Mickey D's a couple years ago for a large sum of cash. The Chipotle near me is really bad -- it basically tastes like a fast food mexican joint.

astroglide
02-05-2005, 02:52 PM
i'm not a big fan of the place, but come on ray. pepsi owns california pizza kitchen right? does that mean that they make their pizzas out of carbonated sugar water? chipotle existed and then mcdonald's bought them.

DeezNuts
02-05-2005, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"ive never seen one but arent they owned by mcdonalds."

[/ QUOTE ]

Mcdonalds has a large stake in the company, but allows it to operate independently, taking some of their profits while giving access to their numerous real estate locations. They don't mess with the food.

DN

daryn
02-05-2005, 04:40 PM
still sounds super weak. white rice in a burrito? i've never seen a chipotle in my life but i bet baja fresh is way better. and baja fresh isn't even close to the best mexican food arund here.... and i'm in boston!

nothing beats an old fashioned taqueria with real mexicans making real food.

Chobohoya
02-05-2005, 05:55 PM
Don't let them fool you. Chipotle is really good, if you keep in mind you're paying $6 for this ginormous burrito. I recommend getting a fajita burrito with half barbacoa, half steak, half mild salsa, half hot, cheese, and sour cream. Actually, I'm going to go eat that in about 30 minutes. Enjoy.

wonderwes
02-05-2005, 06:19 PM
I will say Chipotle is good. It is certainly better than the majority of fast food places out there. I am the only one not to eat at Burger King in 2+ years? I eat Chipotle once a week. I do like the spicy salsa for my burrito.

In Texas we have a local place called FreeBirds (http://www.freebirds.com) World Burrito that came out of Texas A&M. They now have a store in each major Texas city. One thing they do better, different tortillas (wheat, cayenne, spinach) and they have different sauces. Plus refried beans as a choice also.

Oh yeah, if you are in Vegas, there is one in Harrah's.

DeezNuts
02-05-2005, 09:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
still sounds super weak. white rice in a burrito? i've never seen a chipotle in my life but i bet baja fresh is way better. and baja fresh isn't even close to the best mexican food arund here.... and i'm in boston!

nothing beats an old fashioned taqueria with real mexicans making real food.

[/ QUOTE ]

i love when people make statements like this. "never tried it, but i bet it's just awful because it goes against what i think is normal!"

also, there are plenty "real mexicans" in LA, they arent just in mexico, either.

DN

wcsherry
02-05-2005, 09:55 PM
Get a chicken burrito with hot salsa, black beans, cheese and sour cream.

Any people that are telling you that Chipotle is awful clearly enjoy spending more than six dollars on a quick and filling meal. Being in college, i personally do not.

-wc

oddjob
02-06-2005, 12:11 AM
bland bland crap. the steak tastes like it's been cooking for days.

i imagine the people that love chipotle think olive garden is some great italian food.

i'd rather eat taco bell

Shillx
02-06-2005, 12:19 AM
Chipotle is god awful. The burrito I had there was super dry. Then again it was Tucson so we had Nico's and Viva burrito if we wanted to guff all nite long. I guess you have never had El Gran Amigo or 3-Amigos (or something like it). You know, the shanty places you see driving down the highway and you think "how in the hell are they still in business". Mmmmm authentic mexican food. Damn I want to go get some but I'm 250 miles from home.

Brad

mike l.
02-06-2005, 12:47 AM
ok im an expert on this compared to anyone living in boston. i live in san diego and grew up in LA area. there are like millions of mexicans here man. when i ate mexican food back east i almost died.

so a couple things: chipotle is good, it's way better than baja fresh. baja fresh is very americanized stuff, although edible.

as for taquerias oh man ive been to many authentic places run by spanish only speaking mexicans that just SUCKED! like old bad meat, gross non fresh ingredients, just gross and nappy all over the place. the vast majority of little mexican places in southern california (and there are billions of em) suck big time. and same goes for mexico. there are some good places, but many are awful or worse than that, completely inedible sometimes.

thatpfunk
02-06-2005, 02:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

i'd rather eat taco bell

[/ QUOTE ]

At least now I know to never trust your judgement.

Any trashy mexican in san diego > chipotle > taco bell > taco johns

DeezNuts
02-06-2005, 03:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ok im an expert on this compared to anyone living in boston. i live in san diego and grew up in LA area. there are like millions of mexicans here man. when i ate mexican food back east i almost died.

so a couple things: chipotle is good, it's way better than baja fresh. baja fresh is very americanized stuff, although edible.

as for taquerias oh man ive been to many authentic places run by spanish only speaking mexicans that just SUCKED! like old bad meat, gross non fresh ingredients, just gross and nappy all over the place. the vast majority of little mexican places in southern california (and there are billions of em) suck big time. and same goes for mexico. there are some good places, but many are awful or worse than that, completely inedible sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

agree on all points. but when you find a good mexican place, it is just awesome. i love king taco and el taurino in LA, on Alvarado and Hoover, respectively.

i think completely americanized places like baja fresh and la salsa are just completely bland and tasteless. plus i like how you can completely customize your food at Chipotle while they make it.

the opinion of anyone that says they like Taco Bell is meaningless. i like fast food, but that is probably the one place that i will never eat.

DN

daryn
02-06-2005, 03:57 AM
anna's taqueria baby

mike l.
02-06-2005, 04:04 AM
"anna's taqueria baby"

where is it?

there's a place in santa barbara that's world famous. like julia child says it's her favorite place to eat. it is REALLY good, maybe not world class, but it's cheap and damn good. it's on milpas i think.

for homey cheap mexican i love el tarasco in west la area (near the airport and hollywood park) and i love el ferrolito in SF area that's definitely way better than chipotle, but back to the topic id have to say chiptole is one of the best chains ive ever been to, i hate fast food.

daryn
02-06-2005, 04:07 AM
boston's best burrito.

mike l.
02-06-2005, 04:07 AM
"the opinion of anyone that says they like Taco Bell is meaningless. i like fast food, but that is probably the one place that i will never eat."

ok see so we are like totally on the same wavelength then because i completely agree. i would rather go hungry than eat at a taco bell or kfc or mcdonalds or some crap.

so how is it you like those nasty ore-ida frozen fries they served at that pastrami place and didnt like pinks? you need to go to pinks at 1am and have it and just get like chili cheese fries (not nacho cheese!) and like a rosie dog is really good or something.

anyway it's clear to me that we will need to meet up for lunch somewhere good one of these days soon. do you even play poker anymore man??

DeezNuts
02-06-2005, 05:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
so how is it you like those nasty ore-ida frozen fries they served at that pastrami place and didnt like pinks? you need to go to pinks at 1am and have it and just get like chili cheese fries (not nacho cheese!) and like a rosie dog is really good or something.

anyway it's clear to me that we will need to meet up for lunch somewhere good one of these days soon. do you even play poker anymore man??

[/ QUOTE ]

man, i wish i liked pink's more, cuz i live like 5 blocks away from it now. they have too many "heart attack" dogs and the fries are ok. i still stand by my review of johnnie's, i like that place.

we should definitely get together and grub sometime. i dont play live much anymore. actually i dont play much at all anymore, i got burnt out fast and early, but i still love visiting 2+2 and i will make the occasional appearance at HP and Hustler(which was my 2nd home for about 2 yrs). let me know when you are around and we can meet up perhaps with other 2+2ers too.

DN