PDA

View Full Version : Evolutionary questions about human sex.

partygirluk
02-04-2005, 05:29 PM
Why do women desire sex whilst pregnant? Why do they desire it after the menopause? And why do they have breasts?

NLSoldier
02-04-2005, 05:30 PM
Who cares, who cares, and for me to squeeze.

Shajen
02-04-2005, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why do women desire sex whilst pregnant? Why do they desire it after the menopause? And why do they have breasts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hormones
lack of hormones
feeding offspring, attracting males.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-04-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hormones
lack of hormones
feeding offspring, attracting males.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good. Let's move on.

jakethebake
02-04-2005, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
To provoke stupid questions, thereby helping everyone identify stupid people they don't want to be friends with.

partygirluk
02-04-2005, 05:40 PM
It seems logical (in an evolutionary kind of way) for males to desire sex always, and for women to desire it whilst not pregnant. But whilst pregnant why they want it? AFAIK no other species desires sex whilst pregnant. So what makes the human female different in this regard?

They do not need breasts to feed babies. They need nipples for this. And yes, breasts attract males. But why?

beerbandit
02-04-2005, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
for me to squeeze

[/ QUOTE ]

me too

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-04-2005, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
breasts attract males. But why?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because they're very female. I thought you were supposed to be smart? What's with all the dumb questions all of a sudden?

Shajen
02-04-2005, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It seems logical (in an evolutionary kind of way) for males to desire sex always, and for women to desire it whilst not pregnant. But whilst pregnant why they want it? AFAIK no other species desires sex whilst pregnant. So what makes the human female different in this regard?

They do not need breasts to feed babies. They need nipples for this. And yes, breasts attract males. But why?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was being serious with the hormones comment. Also, it's partially pyschological, ie, to verify they are still attractive to their mate.

As far as the breasts not being needed, where else is the milk going to be stored bro?

Beerfund
02-04-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Top 2% my fukcing a$$.......

partygirluk
02-04-2005, 05:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

As far as the breasts not being needed, where else is the milk going to be stored bro?

[/ QUOTE ]

So extremely flat chested girls can't breastfeed?

jakethebake
02-04-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Top 2% my fukcing a$$.......

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD!

lu_hawk
02-04-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And yes, breasts attract males. But why?

[/ QUOTE ]

the serious answer is that nice breasts indicate they will be able to produce enough milk.

here is one. what's the point of pubes? never figured that one out.

Bluffoon
02-04-2005, 05:51 PM
I am no expert but I believe that women are sexually receptive when not in estrus because then the males in a particular group then are not sure whether a females offspring are his or not, and will help ensure their survival.

If a woman had sex only while in estrus then a male could more easily determine that offspring were not his and either kill them or let them waste.

This way women get to select from a wider genetic pool without endangering her offspring.

As far as breasts go, well if a woman's breasts are not adequate for feeding then the male's offspring will die. That's not attractive. A male is going to select a mate that will ensure healthy offspring.

Brainwalter
02-04-2005, 05:53 PM
In all seriousness, the first one has to do with the fact humans benefit from entering monogomous (I didn't say permanent) relationships for purposes of child-rearing. Humans have an extremely long gestation period and the female needs to satisfy the male during that period.

Don't most women's sex drives fall off after menopause?

And breasts are a great signalling/mate attracting device obviously

jakethebake
02-04-2005, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In all seriousness, the first one has to do with the fact humans benefit from entering monogomous (I didn't say permanent) relationships for purposes of child-rearing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Explain. Many cultures don't raise children this way.

Brainwalter
02-04-2005, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In all seriousness, the first one has to do with the fact humans benefit from entering monogomous (I didn't say permanent) relationships for purposes of child-rearing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Explain. Many cultures don't raise children this way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm definitely not implying this is in any way universal or essential, but many cultures do raise children this way and those women evolved the characteristic in question.

partygirluk
02-04-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In all seriousness, the first one has to do with the fact humans benefit from entering monogomous (I didn't say permanent) relationships for purposes of child-rearing. Humans have an extremely long gestation period and the female needs to satisfy the male during that period.

[/ QUOTE ]

So then women would only desire sex with the man who is going to bring up their child? And they would never desire a one night stand?

I think womens' sex drive does drop off after menopause, but from a purely logical point of view, shouldn't it drop to 0?

M2d
02-04-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
because we can think. I'm sure that Dr. Maslow would agree that we've ascended further up his hierarchy than, say, a guinea pig or an axis deer.

Brainwalter
02-04-2005, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So then women would only desire sex with the man who is going to bring up their child? And they would never desire a one night stand?

I think womens' sex drive does drop off after menopause, but from a purely logical point of view, shouldn't it drop to 0?

[/ QUOTE ]

Humans aren't machines programmed for reproduction whose sex drives are precisely controlled. If they were you'd have a valid point.

Wayfare
02-04-2005, 06:07 PM
Because there is no appreciable evolutionary advantage to not desiring sex while pregnant.

partygirluk
02-04-2005, 06:10 PM
Fair enough. But then why, AFAIK, does no other species mate whilst pregnant?

Alobar
02-04-2005, 07:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

here is one. what's the point of pubes? never figured that one out.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has to do with scent. Your hair keeps all the scent in, so to speak, and lets it linger around. It's also why you have hair in your armpits as well.

A better question is, why do you have hair around your butthole?

Alobar
02-04-2005, 07:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fair enough. But then why, AFAIK, does no other species mate whilst pregnant?

[/ QUOTE ]

you should read all the replies in a thread you started, this question has already been answered, or at least it has been if you are smart enough

wacki
02-04-2005, 07:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the serious answer is that nice breasts indicate they will be able to produce enough milk.

[/ QUOTE ]

More specifically, it is a sign of good health. Just like a big red ass on a baboon, or a large area of feathers on a peacock, or a Ram's fighting prowess. The more leftover energy your body has to spend on stupid sex stuff, the more likely you are going to be physically fit overall. That is before STD's came into the picture of course.

Macdaddy Warsaw
02-04-2005, 08:16 PM
Well, I haven't seen the words "sex is enjoyable" or I may have missed them.

That's the answer, by the way.

Also, dolphins have sex for non-reproductive purposes (the enjoyable thing, again) and it wouldn't be surprising if they had sex while pregnant.