PDA

View Full Version : interesting (?) river decision in 3-way pot

neon
02-04-2005, 04:16 PM
This is my first post here; I regularly read the analysis of the posters in this forum, and have learned a great deal from you all in just a few short months. I've only been playing poker for about eight months, but have been pretty successful as of late at 2-4 and 1-2 NL ring games online and feel like I have a pretty solid understanding of the game for someone who's only been playing a few months. I hope some of you find this hand somewhat interesting and worthy of comment. If not, I apologize.

Anyway, six-handed 2-4 NL online. I'm in the BB, two villains in this hand are SB (~550) and CO (~225). I have them both covered. SB is an uber-agressive, somewhat tricky player; I've seen him make huge overbets with the nuts, 12XBB preflop raises with A7o from the BB, etc. CO is a pretty ABC TAG who has been sitting for about an hour and has made maybe three raises preflop.

Folded around to CO, who makes it ~15 to go (I accidentally deleted the hand history, so I'm going from memory here). Button folds, SB calls, I call w/ K /images/graemlins/club.gifJ /images/graemlins/club.gif. Flop is J 9 3 rainbow, one club. Check, Check, CO bets 35, call, call. turn is the 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif. SB springs to life and bets 75 into a ~150 dollar pot. I think for a minute and call, CO insta-pushes for another 100 or so. SB folds (?).

So there is now 470 in the pot with 100 left for me to call. I am 99 percent sure at this point that CO has either aces or kings.

Is this an automatic call?

Thanks in advance.

-neon.

LuvDemNutz
02-04-2005, 04:27 PM
I think this is a call - but it is close.

If you knew for sure that the CO had KK then I might fold because your K outs are not good and you'd be drawing to clubs and two Jacks.

If you knew for sure that the CO had AA then I would definitely call because all of the club outs are good, plus the three K's and two Jacks still left in the deck. Although you might wonder what the heck SB was doing and if he was holding a couple of your outs.

Anyway getting 4.7 to 1 and figuring in the possibility that CO could also have QQ I make the call and pray for a club.

exeph
02-04-2005, 04:32 PM
Yes, automatic call and I'd expect him to show you an overpair. That leaves you with 11-14 outs and the price is right

exeph
02-04-2005, 04:33 PM
Even if you knew for sure villain had KK, folding would be an EV mistake

freemoney
02-04-2005, 04:37 PM
yeah I mean if you know your opponent has an over pair, you have from 11-14 outs like said above 11/44 or 14/44 is better then 4-1.

LuvDemNutz
02-04-2005, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Even if you knew for sure villain had KK, folding would be an EV mistake

[/ QUOTE ]

He's right - even if SB had Qc Tc - you're getting better than 4 to 1

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=750775
pokenum -h kd kh - jc kc -- jd 9c 3d 4c / qc tc
Holdem Hi: 42 enumerated boards containing 9c 4c Jd 3d
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
Kd Kh 33 78.57 9 21.43 0 0.00 0.786
Kc Jc 9 21.43 33 78.57 0 0.00 0.214

neon
02-04-2005, 05:40 PM
So I basically thought to myself, worst case scenario, he has kings and I have two jacks and nine clubs or eleven outs, and pot odds justified a crying call.

I called, the river was a king, and he bitched for five minutes about getting aces cracked AGAIN.

Thanks for the replies.

freemoney
02-04-2005, 05:50 PM
other than the call pre which could be a fold, but i love seeing flops with these types of hands so i call here also you played this hand perfectly IMO, nice pot