PDA

View Full Version : Ace and king magnets...

Laughingboy
02-04-2005, 03:47 PM
Hero is in MP with four big titties. (QdQh). It's level 1, so I raise to 50, both blinds call.

Flop: AD KD 2h

It's checked to me. The angel on my left shoulder says check it down, but the devil on my right says bet. So naturally I bet about 3/4 of the pot. (In my defense, both callers paused a long time before calling.) The sb calls, and the BB folds.

Wonder of wonders, the Qc falls on the turn. I bet the pot and am called.
To make a long story short, villain and I end up all-in on the river (a blank), and he shows down JC TS.

Is this just falling victim to a bad beat, or did I make some terrible mistake somewhere? (Note that even if I hadn't bet the flop, the same thing probably would have happened.)

jcm4ccc
02-04-2005, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hero is in MP with four big titties. (QdQh). It's level 1, so I raise to 50, both blinds call.

Flop: AD KD 2h

It's checked to me. The angel on my left shoulder says check it down, but the devil on my right says bet. So naturally I bet about 3/4 of the pot. (In my defense, both callers paused a long time before calling.) The sb calls, and the BB folds.

Wonder of wonders, the Qc falls on the turn. I bet the pot and am called.
To make a long story short, villain and I end up all-in on the river (a blank), and he shows down JC TS.

Is this just falling victim to a bad beat, or did I make some terrible mistake somewhere? (Note that even if I hadn't bet the flop, the same thing probably would have happened.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Sexist and ugly.

Preflop I would have raised a bit more. 4 - 5 X the BB on Level 1. Too easy for 3 or 4 people to call you.

AK on the flop with two callers? What are the odds that you have the best hand? Pretty low, I would think (especially if this is a lower buy-in SnG). So your flop bet is really a bluff. Not a good idea to bluff into two people out of position. Especially with an AK and a flush draw on the flop, on Level 1, where the reward is not that great (only 150 chips in the pot).

jd2b2006
02-04-2005, 06:40 PM
I think the only slightly bad play you made was the preflop bet. I would at least raise to 4x the BB, if not 5x when it is early. Usually, this size raise will get the riff-raff out.

The bet on the flop is not bad as you will see where you stand quickly. The only way villain could possibly justify the call is if the 10 J were diamonds. The call villain made here is atrocious as even if you had an A or K, villain would only be drawing to 4 outs with 31 cards left. Therefore, based on the action up to the turn, it would take a hell of a read to get off of a set of queens.