PDA

View Full Version : Any cigar smokers?

Ponks
02-04-2005, 03:21 PM
I often enjoy smoking a cigar while playing poker. My apartment is a piece of crap so my roommate and I just smoke in it all the time. I just bought a new humidor and about 40 different cigars including 25 Montecristo White Label cigars, mmmm very good cigars!

Two buddies and me also run the cigar club here at the Univ of Illinois now. We meet every Thursday night at Legends (A local sports bar) and drink an absurd amount of beer while smoking a cigar. We're sponsored by Torano and CAO, and we're working on a few more.

So, anyone smoke cigars, what's your favorite?

Ponks

Richard Tanner
02-04-2005, 03:30 PM
I smoke them every once in a while. You actually have my favorite with the Monte Cristos, can't beat those to me.

Cody

guller
02-04-2005, 03:31 PM
I like to have one or two about every other month. Davidoff, Macanudo Maduro's, and don diego playboys are my favorites. I usually try to stay below $15 each. Although I just tried my first Opus X a few weekends ago at $40 each. It was pretty good but it gave me a wicked buzz after about a half hour of smoke. I'll give your Montecristo White a try next time. Too bad it's freezing here and my wife wont let me smoke in the house so it'll have to wait till spring.

LALDAAS
02-04-2005, 03:34 PM
Montecristo White Label mmmmmmmmm lovem

pshreck
02-04-2005, 03:39 PM
I have never been to a bar that allows cigar smoking. This has affected my knowledge of cigars, but I do like them a lot.

Ponks
02-04-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like to have one or two about every other month. Davidoff, Macanudo Maduro's, and don diego playboys are my favorites. I usually try to stay below $15 each. Although I just tried my first Opus X a few weekends ago at $40 each. It was pretty good but it gave me a wicked buzz after about a half hour of smoke. I'll give your Montecristo White a try next time. Too bad it's freezing here and my wife wont let me smoke in the house so it'll have to wait till spring.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never tried the Opus X, but I've heard many good things. Looks like I'll have to try one of those next time I make a trip to the cigar store. Davidoff and Macanudo are always quality smokes. I think you'll enjoy the Montecristo White Label. They're usually about 8-9 bucks each, but I got 25 of em for $200 with an ashtray and some other goodies.

Ponks

Inthacup
02-04-2005, 03:43 PM
I'm a pretty big cigar fan. I have 2 end-table humidors with digital humidity control(so nice). I think I probably have about 1000 cigars in my collection. kinda absurd.

I'd say my favorite company is Fuente, with Opus X and Anejo topping the list. I also have a pretty nice collection of ISOMs, but I don't plan on smoking them for a few more years. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cup

Inthacup
02-04-2005, 03:46 PM
I just tried my first Opus X a few weekends ago at $40 each.

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Good lord! Did you get them in Vegas or something? You're getting gouged on any Opus over 20 bucks. I agree though, they're fantastic smokes.

Cup

Inthacup
02-04-2005, 03:47 PM
Looks like I'll have to try one of those next time I make a trip to the cigar store.

Does your store carry them regularly? Opus are released 3-4 times per year and normally don't stay on the shelves for more than a few days.

Cup

Ponks
02-04-2005, 03:54 PM
Nice system you have there, you've got me jealous! For cigar club we have 2 large coolers load with crystals and sponges to keep the cigars at the proper humidity. What are the ISOMs, doesnt ring a bell to me. I've smoked a couple Arturo Fuentes the past few days, also a very good smoke.

Ponks

Rushmore
02-04-2005, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a pretty big cigar fan. I have 2 end-table humidors with digital humidity control(so nice). I think I probably have about 1000 cigars in my collection. kinda absurd.

I'd say my favorite company is Fuente, with Opus X and Anejo topping the list. I also have a pretty nice collection of ISOMs, but I don't plan on smoking them for a few more years.

[/ QUOTE ]

I smoke quite a bit myself (read: too much), and have recently switched my go-to brand from La Gloria Cubana (maduro) to a combination of 80% Perdomo Cabinets (red band) and 20% Gurkha Louis XIII Robustos.

I must be getting old, wanting a slightly milder cigar than the harsher maduros.

The Gurkhas are great for the price (about $12), if you haven't tried them.

Ponks
02-04-2005, 03:58 PM
Now that you bring it up I don't think they do, but I'm real good friends with the cigar store owner now so he can probably help me out. I know they often have a limit of 2 per customer on these type of cigars. My friend picked me up a Maximus about a week ago for my birthday, cant wait to smoke that baby /images/graemlins/smile.gif

daryn
02-04-2005, 03:58 PM
there is this cool bar in northampton mass., right near the umass campus. it used to be a railroad tunnel, and they converted it into a bar, called the tunnel bar. wicked cool place, and it was kind of like a cigar bar in a way. the ventilation system was awesome and we would go there to smoke cigars and drink scotch. then they made that law in mass. that you couldn't smoke in bars. oh well /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ponks
02-04-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'd say my favorite company is Fuente, with Opus X and Anejo topping the list. I also have a pretty nice collection of ISOMs, but I don't plan on smoking them for a few more years.

[/ QUOTE ]

I smoke quite a bit myself (read: too much), and have recently switched my go-to brand from La Gloria Cubana (maduro) to a combination of 80% Perdomo Cabinets (red band) and 20% Gurkha Louis XIII Robustos.

I must be getting old, wanting a slightly milder cigar than the harsher maduros.

The Gurkhas are great for the price (about $12), if you haven't tried them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I typically prefer a more mild smoke myself. I've heard of the Gurkhas but I have yet to try one. I'm gonna write all these recommendations down from this post and head over to the cigar store later. La Gloria Cubanas are fantastic also. Our club was sponsered Perdomo last year, but unfortunately this year they couldn't help us out. I forgot what they sent us, but I remember they had red bands and they were torpedo shaped.

Ponks

Tron
02-04-2005, 04:05 PM
As far as traditional cigars go, I too enjoy the Montecristo Whites. A while ago I had a cigar from "La Flor." I don't remember exactly what it was, but it was pretty good.

I don't know if any of you are into flavored cigars but I really, really enjoy the Acid Kuba Kuba... It's tasty!

Also, I'm really interested in this idea of starting a cigar club... How'd you go about doing that?

Ponks
02-04-2005, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As far as traditional cigars go, I too enjoy the Montecristo Whites. A while ago I had a cigar from "La Flor." I don't remember exactly what it was, but it was pretty good.

I don't know if any of you are into flavored cigars but I really, really enjoy the Acid Kuba Kuba... It's tasty!

Also, I'm really interested in this idea of starting a cigar club... How'd you go about doing that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, the acid's are crazy. The first time I had one of those I ended up getting pretty messed up. I haven't tried many flavored cigars but one of my favorites is the Moontrance by CAO. It's flavor is vanilla/rum and it's very tasty.

About our cigar club, we just talked with the school and they let us make it. However, we dont recieve any funds for the school, pretty lame if you ask me. So we charge a small fee $10-15 per semester and you get a free cigar each week, a cutter, hat, t-shirt, and some good conversation. We write to different cigar companies explaining how we are the future smokers of American and some of them are willing to help our cause and some are just "too busy". Torano just sent us 8 boxes for this semester, 25 shirts, and about 100 hats all for free. If you want anymore info, just lemme know, I'll try to find out whatever you need.

Ponks

Inthacup
02-04-2005, 04:15 PM
sorry, ISOM is cigar nerd talk for Cubans. ISOM = Island south of Miami

In the Fuente line, I also recommend:

pretty much any size of Hemingway or Don Carlos and in the regular line, 858s.

Outside of Fuente, I like some of the LGC line and La Flor Dominicana Chisels(funky shape, full bodied, nice flavors). Along those same lines, I like the CAO Brazilia line as well.

Another guy that posts here, Other1 is probably as much or more into cigars than I am.

Tron
02-04-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, the acid's are crazy. The first time I had one of those I ended up getting pretty messed up. I haven't tried many flavored cigars but one of my favorites is the Moontrance by CAO. It's flavor is vanilla/rum and it's very tasty.

About our cigar club, we just talked with the school and they let us make it. However, we dont recieve any funds for the school, pretty lame if you ask me. So we charge a small fee $10-15 per semester and you get a free cigar each week, a cutter, hat, t-shirt, and some good conversation. We write to different cigar companies explaining how we are the future smokers of American and some of them are willing to help our cause and some are just "too busy". Torano just sent us 8 boxes for this semester, 25 shirts, and about 100 hats all for free. If you want anymore info, just lemme know, I'll try to find out whatever you need.

Ponks

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the Acids do give me quite an intense buzz. I'll definitely look into the Moontrance.

I have about 3 or 4 friends that I usually get together and smoke with every once in a while, so this seems like a pretty good idea... I'll be sure and tell you if everything works out.

Ponks
02-04-2005, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
sorry, ISOM is cigar nerd talk for Cubans. ISOM = Island south of Miami

In the Fuente line, I also recommend:

pretty much any size of Hemingway or Don Carlos and in the regular line, 858s.

Outside of Fuente, I like some of the LGC line and La Flor Dominicana Chisels(funky shape, full bodied, nice flavors). Along those same lines, I like the CAO Brazilia line as well.

Another guy that posts here, Other1 is probably as much or more into cigars than I am.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh sorry, I'm not quite the cigar nerd yet, but I'm working on it. I've tried various cubans including some pre-embargo ones (I didnt like these that much) and some Montecristo #4's I believe. I was lucky enough to indulge on a Brazilla a few days ago and I still have one of the Anacondas (I think this is the name) left. I'll try those other Fuente ones, thanks for the recommendation.

Ponks

partygirluk
02-04-2005, 04:21 PM
I smoke cigars (occasionally), but never cigarettes. I picked this habit up from my Dad. It helps me relax.

_2000Flushes
02-04-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'd say my favorite company is Fuente, with Opus X and Anejo topping the list. I also have a pretty nice collection of ISOMs, but I don't plan on smoking them for a few more years. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cup

[/ QUOTE ]

Cup is being very humble about his collection. Of his 1000+ cigars, the worst ones he has are Opus. It's amazing.

-2kF

_2000Flushes
02-04-2005, 04:23 PM
Ponks-

Where do you get your Gurkhas?

-2kF

Ponks
02-04-2005, 04:23 PM
I quit cigarettes about 2 months ago and ever since then I've been smoking cigars a lot more often.

Ponks
02-04-2005, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ponks-

-2kF

[/ QUOTE ]

Rushmore mentioned them actually. I've never tried one, but I'll be looking to try one now if I can get my hands on one. Are these supposed to be hard to get? I'm hoping my local cigar shop in Champaign, IL has em, but if not I may have to search around some more. My friend has a friend whose Dad is in the mob and that's where we get our cubans, so if these are hard to get perhaps he can help us out. As he says "They just fall off trucks!"

Ponks

_2000Flushes
02-04-2005, 04:29 PM
Whooooops.

-2kF

_2000Flushes
02-04-2005, 04:30 PM
Rushmore,

-2kF

guller
02-04-2005, 04:37 PM
exactly...in vegas, prices there are outrageous. They wanted 20 for a Macanudo.

kipin
02-04-2005, 04:45 PM
I have a humidor that holds about 75-100 cigars in it. Right now I have about 75 cigars, with lots of different brands.

My favroite smoke would have to be the Padron 1967 Anniversario, very high quality smoke with HUGE amounts of white creamy smoke, great smoke for a humid summer night.

My favorite cheap cigar is the Padron 3000, great consistency and quality in this, and every Padron cigar. If you have never tried a Padron, I would recommend picking up a few, especially the 1967 Anniversaries, they are worth your time, and money (Don't pay more then $15 a stick).

davelin
02-04-2005, 04:47 PM
Casual cigar smoker myself. Just had a nice Cuban Cohiba for $8 while vacationing in Cancun.

Inthacup
02-04-2005, 05:06 PM
Agreed. The regular line of Padron is some of the best you can get for the price. I've never had a '64 or '26 that wasn't fabulously constructed. Great cigars IMO.

Rushmore
02-04-2005, 05:08 PM
Try here:

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=CS-G9&stext=louis

kipin
02-04-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've never had a '64 or '26 that wasn't fabulously constructed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have found this to be true of all Padron cigars. It really amazes me when I watch people smoke $20 cigars which burn unevenly, while I smoke my $4.00 Padron 3000 which burns perfect for the duration of the entire smoke.

The 1967's are a notch above the 3000's (as they should be). If the wind is light I can smoke more then half of the cigar without worrying about the ash breaking off.

Rushmore
02-04-2005, 05:11 PM
Try here: http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=CS-G9&stext=louis

Ponks
02-04-2005, 05:27 PM
Alright, I just picked up two of each of the Hemingway, Don Carlos, 858s, Anejo, and Opus X from Fuente at the local cigar shop. I've got some good smoking ahead of me!

Ponks

HDPM
02-04-2005, 05:55 PM
I tend to like Fuentes, but the Opus Xes I've had have been overpriced and overrated. Am I the only one? I have heard them compared to Cubans. Not that I've had any Cubans, but.... no way.

HDPM
02-04-2005, 06:09 PM
padrons rock

Ponks
02-04-2005, 08:26 PM
How much did you pay for them? I just got two of them for 7.95 a stick. I'm not sure if they come in different sizes or anything, but the ones I got are of a smaller size. My friend can get a box of Montecristo #4 cubans for approximately 6 bucks a stick too.

Ponks

Ponks
02-04-2005, 10:23 PM
Smoking one of my Opus X now and I'm in heaven. This is my first time trying one.

Ponks.

HDPM
02-04-2005, 11:33 PM
Glad yours is good. The ones I've had have cost a bunch more than you paid and have been mediocre. Never had one as good as a padron and I paid maybe 5X more each. Maybe I'll have to try another. Usually I like fuentes a lot. Although I don't like ashtons much, and as I said have not had a real good Opus X.

kipin
02-04-2005, 11:47 PM
I think the only reasonable cigar Fuente makes for the price vs. quality is the Hemingway Series.

The short stories are pretty decent.

beta1607
02-05-2005, 01:23 AM
CAO L'anniverario bellicsos with the Cameroon wrapper...Somewhat hard to find now but worth looking for.

Also cigarbid.com is a great site for online cigar auctions so you can avoid taxes in places like CA which are just abusrd. (No I am not affiliated with this site.)

JTrout
02-05-2005, 01:58 PM
Carlos Torano cigars are very good and reasonably priced.
Casa Torano and 1916 are nice, med/mild.
1959 for a little more kick (nic).
www.Seriouscigars.com (http://www.Seriouscigars.com) often has deals on them.

Jeffage
02-05-2005, 02:40 PM
I've cut down in recent years, but my all-time favorite is Olivaros Gold. They are hard to find, but very very good. Run 8 or 9 bucks.

Jeff

KidPokerX
02-18-2005, 06:21 PM
WOW!

AngryCola
02-18-2005, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
WOW!

[/ QUOTE ]

Please stop bumping all the old thread just so you can say, "Wow!"

Link (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1731747&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&vc=1)

adamstewart
02-18-2005, 06:35 PM
I can go to Cuba whenever I want without issue.

Such beautiful beaches - and some pretty good cigars /images/graemlins/wink.gif

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Adam

ricochet420
02-18-2005, 10:29 PM
For my everyday smoke, Punch champion, they're pretty new. I used to smoke padron's regularly. MC, AF Family, Punch, anything in maduro from those guys is good.

Rick Nebiolo
02-19-2005, 04:29 AM
Great thread and now I'm jealous of Inthacup! Anyway, a while back there were a couple other good cigar threads. Check the archives, I'm too lazy and tired to post a link :tired:

~ Rick