PDA

View Full Version : Girls Sued for Dropping off Cookies

FatMan
02-04-2005, 02:08 PM
Cookie klatch lands girls in court

Two Durango teens thought they'd surprise neighbors with nighttime deliveries of home-baked treats. But one woman was so terrified, she sued and has won.

Here is link to story (http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~53~2691638,00.html)

I don't know which is worse. The fact that the crazy old woman sued them or the fact that the judge didn't throw this out of court.

astroglide
02-04-2005, 02:11 PM
i wouldn't piss on that lady if she were on fire

pshreck
02-04-2005, 02:12 PM
It was a really stupid idea by those girls, but I think it should be a misdemeanor crime and they should get a slap on the rist, as opposed to being sued.

There are plenty of women alone with children / eldery people living alone that would be terrified by knocks on the door at 10:30 at night. Most grown men wouldn't be comfortable with it. Warn them not to do it again then let them go on their way.

Shajen
02-04-2005, 02:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It was a really stupid idea by those girls, but I think it should be a misdemeanor crime and they should get a slap on the rist, as opposed to being sued.

There are plenty of women alone with children / eldery people living alone that would be terrified by knocks on the door at 10:30 at night. Most grown men wouldn't be comfortable with it. Warn them not to do it again then let them go on their way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, i don't think I'd have a problem with it.

That's what the peephole is for.

There must be more to this story than what we are hearing.

If there isn't, the judicial system failed in this case.

Boris
02-04-2005, 02:18 PM
Are you feckin serious?

pshreck
02-04-2005, 02:20 PM
I'm sure that story doesn't cover all the aspects of the case. I think people are getting caught up in the 2 facts:

1. It was two sweet teenage girls

2. It was cookies

In almost any other circumstance, putting a package in front of someones house, late at night, and knocking on the door would be some sort of misdemeanor crime. Just think about it that way.

LALDAAS
02-04-2005, 02:21 PM
Who the hell does this? Seriously I would expect this of 7 or 8 year old girls but 17 and 18.

wacki
02-04-2005, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Knocking on a door should be a misdemeaner? Are you serious?

Boris
02-04-2005, 02:22 PM
WTF? exactly what is the misdemeanor crime here?

pshreck
02-04-2005, 02:24 PM
No, not the knocking. Leaving the unidentified package on the porch with no real identification of what is inside it.

Would this woman be crazy to call the police before she would open it? I'm sure I would just open it, but I wouldn't find it nuts to get upset over something like this.

stabn
02-04-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Would this woman be crazy to call the police before she would open it? I'm sure I would just open it, but I wouldn't find it nuts to get upset over something like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't think after finding out it was cookies she should chill? But should instead make sure they are prosecuted? Calling the police because you are paranoid is somewhat reasonable. Pressing charges isn't.

wacki
02-04-2005, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Calling the police because you are paranoid is somewhat reasonable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even that is a stretch.

pshreck
02-04-2005, 02:30 PM
Did you read the article? She probably never had a chance to open the package. She had a severe anxiety attack, obviously something that wasn't normal for her as she had to be rushed to the hospital.

I am really trying to be objective.

Another spin on this... do this exact same thing, to 50 househoulds of people ages 60 or older. See how many of them get upset about it, the over/under on that I would think is around 15 (even if there 'lights were on').

You guys seem to be under the impression that this was just a freak physical accident on the 49 year old woman's part... I think that in fact its quite possible for anyone with anxiety problems or heart conditions to have a physical response from a random package on their porch late at night.

stabn
02-04-2005, 02:33 PM
A physical response does not make it a criminal issue.

stabn
02-04-2005, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Even that is a stretch.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why i said somewhat.

pshreck
02-04-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to explain that one? Physical responses have EVERYTHING to do with the American legal system.

Sponger15SB
02-04-2005, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The July 31 deliveries consisted of half a dozen chocolate-chip and sugar cookies accompanied by big hearts cut out of red or pink construction paper with the message: "Have a great night."

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, thats my birthday.

wacki
02-04-2005, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to explain that one? Physical responses have EVERYTHING to do with the American legal system.

[/ QUOTE ]

You shouldn't sue someone because you are a wuss and had a panic attack because somebody knocked on your door. If you don't want anyone to knock on your door have a sign that says, don't knock! Or atleast have an intercom.

Jimbobobb
02-04-2005, 02:39 PM
This is about the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my life. That woman should die in a fire, and that judge seems to have zero common sense. The next time Mormons knock on my door and I have to ignore the knocking, I'm going to sue the church of jesus christ for giving me an anxiety attack.

BULLSHIT

blendedsuit
02-04-2005, 02:39 PM
Who cares?? Two main points from the article:

"A Durango judge Thursday awarded Young almost $900 to recoup her medical bills. She received nothing for pain and suffering."

This seems somewhat reasonable at least. Fortunately there wasn't some punitive damages award ordered.

"When she called out, "Who's there?" no one answered."

10:30pm, for goodness announce yourself.

But I completely disagree with suing those dumb girls.

wacki
02-04-2005, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The next time Mormons knock on my door and I have to ignore the knocking, I'm going to sue the church of jesus christ for giving me an anxiety attack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, you have a legal precedent now.

soundgarden4
02-04-2005, 02:42 PM
If you look at the picture in the article you can see that the "package" is really just a plate with plastic wrap covering it and a card on top. I can see your point if it was some kind of blank cardboard box, but it's pretty easy to see the plate and the cookies. If you don't want them, then just throw them out.

The point is you can't sue someone for knocking on your day late at night. If the girls hadn't left the cookies would they still have been sued, if so then that is quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Either way, that lady is a downright bitch.

kevin

tolbiny
02-04-2005, 02:48 PM
This is why i am a better person than you Astro-
I would use any excuse to piss on that woman.
Of course i wouldn't have god enough aim to put out hte fire.

BeerMoney
02-04-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you feckin serious?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is why AngryCola picks on him.

Reef
02-04-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i wouldn't piss on that lady if she were on fire

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't let my camel piss on her if she were thirsty in a desert

ethan
02-04-2005, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it should be a misdemeanor crime

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not quite noon yet here, but I'm pretty sure that's the dumbest thing I'll hear today.

I'm with astro on this one.

GuyOnTilt
02-04-2005, 03:17 PM

Those two things are completely unrelated. If they get convicted of a misdemeanor doesn't mean they still can't be sued and visa versa. One's criminal and one's civil.

GoT

rusty JEDI
02-04-2005, 11:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok..... anyone who thinks these girls did anything wrong is seriously a hyper-sensitive whiny baby. First off, 10:30pm is not even remotely too late for 17 years olds to be out. Second, I have a hard time believing that they were banging on the door in a frightening manner. Third, the lady is 49 not 90 and also not home alone. Fourth, the lady even said she thought it might be neighbours she has had problems with before which only tells me one thing: she is one of "those" neighbours... you know, the kind that make everybody elses business their own and who complain about EVERYTHIING.
Everyone is so quick to exaggeratethings and make everything 1000 times worse than it is. Also, today's society is so consumed with suing everyone and evrything that moves. It's disgusting.

P.S
This isn't rJ..... it's his girlfriend.... and as a side note from a women's point of view..... I am 25 and would not feel even the slightest bit of fear if someone knocked on my door at 1am let alone 10:30pm if I was home alone.

DesertCat
02-05-2005, 12:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]

There are plenty of women alone with children / eldery people living alone that would be terrified by knocks on the door at 10:30 at night. Most grown men wouldn't be comfortable with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Talk about weak-tight!

BreakEvenPlayer
02-05-2005, 12:24 AM
This story makes me want to vomit. And then leave the US.

Lazymeatball
02-05-2005, 12:36 AM
burglars and rapists don't knock on the door. This woman is a crazy bitch and her anxiety attacks are caused by her own mental problems which these teenage girls are not legally responsible for. Pshreck is way off base here, unless he suggests that the US is under martial law after 10pm.

wacki
02-05-2005, 12:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Any interesting links/threads/arguements?

AngryCola
02-05-2005, 12:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In almost any other circumstance, putting a package in front of someones house, late at night, and knocking on the door would be some sort of misdemeanor crime. Just think about it that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

What f'ed up laws are you going by?

Seriously, this isn't a crime, and shouldn't be considered one.

AngryCola
02-05-2005, 12:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Listen, it is not the public's responsibility to be aware of everyone else's conditions. If that were the case, we would have an almost impossible world to live in.

AngryCola
02-05-2005, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Any interesting links/threads/arguements?

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm not touching this one.

wacki
02-05-2005, 01:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm not touching this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough, it amazes me at how consistently wrong some people can be. With a lot of idiot posters a random coinflip agree/disagree would score higher on the right/wrong scale.

BTW, Angry Cola your posts are generally of very high quality. If I ruffled you feathers in the past, I meant no harm. I know I can be kind of a dick sometimes.

AngryCola
02-05-2005, 01:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]

BTW, Angry Cola your posts are generally of very high quality. If I ruffled you feathers in the past, I meant no harm. I know I can be kind of a dick sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.

I can't remember you ever saying anything bad or silly to me. Maybe I just missed it that day. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Either way, carry on. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

bwana devil
02-05-2005, 01:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Those two things are completely unrelated. If they get convicted of a misdemeanor doesn't mean they still can't be sued and visa versa. One's criminal and one's civil.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly. people are confusing the two and using criminal charges in place of civil. completely different court.

jstnrgrs
02-05-2005, 03:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
She said the families' apologies rang false and weren't delivered in person.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me get this straight, the apology wasn't accepted because it wasn't delivered in person. Wasn't delivery in person the cause of the problem in the first place.

Russ McGinley
02-05-2005, 03:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Let me get this straight, the apology wasn't accepted because it wasn't delivered in person. Wasn't delivery in person the cause of the problem in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha!

After thinking about this situation, really the only thing that bothers me is that the woman rejected the apology + no lawsuit part. That was weak. People react differently to situations. "Shadowy figures" knocking on the door at 10:30 at night and not answering when asked who they were could easily be construed as burglars/rapists/other criminals by someone who has anxiety problems.

The families offered to pay the medical bills. There was no crime and no intent of crime. That should have been that. Her saying "something bad could have happened to them" was also ridiculous. Like what? Was she going to get a gun and start firing? Obviously not.

My favorite part was this:

"Two teenage girls decided one summer's evening to skip a dance where there might be cursing..."

OH NO CURSING (hides)