PDA

View Full Version : Ladbrokes intoduce steps tournie SNG $1,000,000 prize and why No US

daveymck
02-04-2005, 10:24 AM
Ladbrokes have or are about to introduce their own steps tournies starts at $1 and final step is winner takes all $1,000,000.

Also found this link which explains why they wont allow american players.

Ladbrokes Fear seizure of Hilton Group (http://www.pokernews.info/news/2005/02/ladbrokes-american.htm)

Ladbrokes is one of the most respected gaming houses in England, if not all of Europe. They accept action on many of the main sporting events that cover the world, including football (what Americans foolishly call "soccer"), cricket, horse racing and the Super Bowl (America's "football"). They additionally have their own online poker site, Ladbrokespoker.com, where players from around the world can gather to play poker. Everyone, that is, except an American player.

While the site accepts transactions in many denominations, including United States Dollars, American players are prohibited from participating in the poker action at the site. There is the universal sign of "No Americans" (the dreaded red circle with a line through it over the American flag) on the poker arena. The question I had to ask was...why?

In an e-mail to their site I asked these questions. To grant Ladbrokes credit, they did not dodge my questions and answered promptly, offering some responses that made sense and one that was a little hard to believe.

The response to the money question was logical. In the e-mail, it was stated "historically, poker has been played with U. S. Dollars and Ladbrokes feels it is important to continue that tradition." Furthermore, "we do not accept some countries currency and some of our customers prefer to make their deposits in United States Dollars."

One questionable response came as far as the ban on American players. The statement continued "it is important to our European customers to know they are not playing against American players, who are generally regarded as playing at a very high standard." This is highly questionable when you look at many other online sites and see players from around the world competing equally. The cards do not care what country you are from; the ability to play poker is universal, especially in this day and age.

Where I had to agree with Ladbrokes was on their continuation of the policy due to "American Gambling Laws". Ladbrokes is a part of the Hilton Group, the owners of the worldwide hotel chain that has many operations that fall within the United States. Those operations would be subject to seizure by the U. S. Government in the event they decided to pursue the Hilton Group in America for violating gambling regulations. Ladbrokes does not rule out the admission of American players eventually. "If the laws do change in the future, Ladbrokes will be happy to accept American customers to our site," they stated.

In November 2004, the World Trade Organization ruled in favor of the nation of Antigua over the United States in a trade restriction disagreement over online gambling. The U. S. Government tried to use their argument that their laws took precedence (such as the Wire Act of 1961 and the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) Act) over the international trade agreement that was signed by the government in 1995. Antigua argued that it was an unfair trade infringement as it was the primary source of income for the tiny island nation and the actions were in an international arena not subject to the laws of the United States. The case, even though settled in the WTO's eyes, is still being hotly debated today. In fact, in recent anti-terrorism legislation before the Congress of the United States, action against online gaming was thrown out of the bill while it was still in committee.

While many have questioned Ladbrokes decision, it is one made in their best interests and not from any anti-American position. It is time that the United States government recognizes that, in the worldwide community of today, some outdated acts need to be looked at. Online poker and gaming, as a whole, should be allowed by the United States, with proper actions to police it and ensure the safety of its citizens. With the current administration in charge, don't look for this action to commence anytime soon.

Masquerade
02-05-2005, 05:43 AM
The US legal system is a joke - as many Americans already know. Ladbrokes are part of a business with significant US interests and they've taken the reasonable business decision of not allowing US-based gamblers while gambling still remains illegal in the US (supposedly a "free" country).

They're doubtless losing a lot of business but also avoiding the never-ending series of frivolous law suits from disgruntled losers as well as law enforcement hassles. So they're saving tens of millions on all the lawyers they'd need to keep permanently on retainer. I know this situation is insane - but you really need to legalise Internet gambling in the US before it can improve.

mmcd
02-05-2005, 02:53 PM
With the current administration in charge, don't look for this action to commence anytime soon.

Here's the problem with national politics and gambling in this country:

Republicans can't support it because it would offend the values of their core constiuancy because gambling is a "sin".

Democrats won't support it because they feel the need to protect people from themselves.

There is not enough in the way of organized pro-gambling interest groups on the national level to effectuate any change, and the majority of the public is either neutral towards gambling, or unsupportive. If you tell the average person over here that you play poker for a living, they will probably think you are a degenerate gambler and are almost certainly going to go broke.

As for Ladbrokes, could they not go through some sort of corporate reorganization and seperate their online poker/sports book operation from any U.S. based assets? I would think something like this would be relatively cheap compared to all the rake that would be generated by U.S. players.

Marius K
02-07-2005, 05:58 AM
This article is copied without permission. Please leave only the quoted text.

Regards,

Marius
www.pokernews.info (http://www.pokernews.info)
Editor

daveymck
02-08-2005, 09:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This article is copied without permission. Please leave only the quoted text.

Regards,

Marius
www.pokernews.info (http://www.pokernews.info)
Editor

[/ QUOTE ]

Too late to edit the post, I provided the link to the site of origin (which I had never heard of and now will not be returning too), think your response is a touch over the top imho. I am sure you got some traffic generated from this posting otherwise you would not have found it here, unless you are scanning every posting on 2+2.

BTW can you edit your posting as spamming the board by using signatures to get hits onto your site is against the terms of this one.

If you really care that much then use the inform the moderator and ask him to edit delete the post.

daveymck
02-08-2005, 09:13 AM
I also notice in other posts you have been pretending you found results that actually link to your site, nice spamming keep it up.