PDA

View Full Version : Early agression in $5 and $10 SNG's

goalltheway
02-04-2005, 09:27 AM
I AM PRETTY NEW, SO BE GENTLE...

I have been playing poker for a year+, and two tabling the 5 and 10 SnG's for 6 months.

From reading many of the previous discussion about how to handle the early levels of these, the prevailing though seems to be STAY REALLY TIGHT. Some threads have even gone so far as to mention SITTING OUT for the first.

I just finished Harrington on holdem, and he makes the point that if there is easy money to be had, you want to be in there getting as much of it as you can, because if you don't, your opponents will (this is for multi's, tho, but...)

I, being relatively new, am pleased with my sucess in these so far. I am not dilusional, however, and realize that I have a LONG way to go on my BUBBLE or NEAR-BUBBLE play. My sucess, i believe, comes solely from the fact that I can gather chips early with nominal hands and therefore overcome my poor bubble play.

I am asking, i guess, for advice on 1)how to tackle the first rounds 2) if one truly can ovecome poor bubble play with more chips, and 3) how to improve my bubble play so this will not be as much of an issue (texts, tasks, or rules to follow)

I realize that this is probably old stuff for y'all, so even references to answers elsewhere would be helpful.

thanks in advance

Cry Me A River
02-04-2005, 11:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

this is for multi's, tho, but...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the key right there.

There are very significant differences between SNGs and MTTs. Namely, the blind structures and the amount of chips in play. Blinds go up way faster in SNGs and there are far fewer chips in play - As players bust out they are not "replaced" by other players when tables are collapsed. This means you can almost never get comfortably ahead of the blinds in an SNG and everyone quickly gets shortstacked.

Sure, if you flop a house, go ahead and put people all-in, however SNGs are really about making it to the bubble with a playable stack and taking it from there.

lorinda
02-05-2005, 12:00 AM
Just a reminder that at hand one of a SNG you are virtually on the bubble, with only seven to go to the money.

Lori